Old Jun 18, 2015, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by sonicboom24
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
179 Posts
Discussion
RC Laser Sailboat

Hey guys!

I just picked up a 42" RC laser Sailboat for my sailing pleasures!

There is a great deal for a RTR with 2.4ghz radio for 299.00 + shipping on ebay / intensity sails dot com

I went ahead and purchased one last week with the stand and the bag, just to keep it all nice and tidy. I received it on tuesday of this week and decided to take it to the lake yesterday. Numbers and decals will be the next thing to be added to this keeper!

This laser was awesome sailing in the mixed wind I had at the lake. She tracked pretty straight. Setup was very quick. I did about 1.5hrs of sailing with this boat just to try her out. No issues whatsoever, just some curious ducks that decided to show the laser up...guess who won? LOL

Anyways, I'll post some better pics later this week and maybe even a video of this little rocket!
sonicboom24 is online now Find More Posts by sonicboom24
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2015, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by ktm500mx
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Jul 2008
293 Posts
laser

Nice to hear about a new sailor. near you is a fleet that races them in
coconut grove sail with the guys from there in this years national and
real fun group check them out on theamya.org
Mike

ktm500mx is online now Find More Posts by ktm500mx
Old Jun 18, 2015, 04:21 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
179 Posts
Ive been looking for a group to sail with down here. I will contact them. Thanks for the website KTM500mx!
Old Jun 20, 2015, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,954 Posts
I've been watching that same listing on E-bay. I know sailrc.com is the original dealer and this new guy is trying to make a name for himself by selling at low prices.

Wonder what kind of support this fellow will be providing?
Sailrc is a very reputable organization and knows the products they sell and support their customers.

It is hard to make a living selling RC Sailboats - volumes are not the kind of thing that can make you rich, that is for sure.

I have been looking at Lasers' for some time and have read both good and not so good reports on their sailing manners. Like to hear from actual owners on their views of how these boats sail.

One comment was they stall easily and are not to quick to regain speed after turning. I do not know if these observations are accurate or not. Just read them in some reviews.

Like to get some solid information before investing in one.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jun 20, 2015, 05:01 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
179 Posts
Boomer. This boat was giving me no issues on speed loss during turns. As long as you have speed going into the the turn she would not miss a beat.

I did notice a stall here or there. But it was my fault those times, due to not having enough speed or the sail in the in- correct position.

I'm actually coming from a sea dolphin then a vela one that I have to sell. But the laser so far has been nothing but a joy to sail.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,806 Posts
It doesn't have a jib - so as a uni-rig, you have to sail a bit differently than you would if it had a jib, especially when changing tacks. Think of it as a wide catamaran and adjust tacking timing as you would a catamaran. As you tack, sheet out the main, fall off on new tack and sheet in SLOWLY. Too fast and it will wind vane on you, stall out, or never make the tack and you will have to back up to get another run at it. Watch your tacking angles, and your apparent wind directions. No jib to help move air across your main.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 08:17 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
179 Posts
Thanks Dick. L. I'll give that a shot.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 08:33 PM
Find More Posts by Dick L.
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,806 Posts
Start slowly, then pick up speed and sail trim. You will soon find a point where you are floating and then just back up the timing a notch
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by laser110
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,464 Posts
I haven't seen them on ebay, but will look. I use to race and sail real Laser's ( hence my name) and have been thinking about getting one to "play with" A guy in my club has one, so I have had a chance to see it up close and would be cool to sail with another Laser when i go to the pond.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:07 PM
Joined Jul 2008
293 Posts
new laser seller

sail intensity has been selling laser parts and accessories for awhile.
they just started selling the boats with slightly different electronics.
as dick said they have to be sailed differently then say a soling or an
EC12. they are great for trips since they pack so small.
Mike

Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by marter1229
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
629 Posts
Are the electronics acceptable, or do they need upgrading?
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:32 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2010
179 Posts
Tx/rx

I have not had any issues with the included radio thus far. I had the boat pretty far out without any glitches or issues.

The TX (FS-T2B) is a Laser branded 2.4ghz basic 2 channel radio that takes 8 AA batteries. I do have to give it a C+ on looks because it does kinda look funky. The on board rx (FS-GR3F) is a 3 channel receiver and shows the Laser branding as well, but looks like a regular rx like it should.

I am hoping the gear stands up to everyday use without getting wet.

I was thinking of using my DX9 and a lemon on the boat, but I do NOT want to risk a brand new DX9 with water anywhere near me.

So the included radio should do until I find something I want to risk.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 01:56 PM
Joined Jul 2008
293 Posts
laser servos

so far talking to 3 people that brought the sail Intensity boat they are happy with the servos. they did not order the radio with the boat. but time will tell they have only fleet raced the boats a few times.
Mike

Old Jun 21, 2015, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Joined Mar 2012
300 Posts
The radio pictured and the new servos are standard on all new r/c lasers no matter who sells the boats. The Manufacturer believes this new equipment to be equal or better quality to what was supplied previously.

As to how they sail, they need some getting used to, but that's pretty much true with each different class of r/c boat. Sailed right they are fast, reliable and easy to control.

And if it means anything, the r/c laser has sold well in excess of 20,000 boats and was designed and engineered by the same person who did the nirvana and a number of U.S. National and international world class m, iom and 10r boats.
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Jun 22, 2015, 02:40 AM
Find More Posts by Waikiwi
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2007
132 Posts
Hi

Also interested in the rc laser. Are you able to please post the size measurements of the carrybag (length, width and thickness). Would love to purchase one, but am just a bit worried they will be too big and unmanageable.

Also, are they quite easy to take to your sailing area once rigged? I know they are quite big, so am just wondering whether they might be a bit too tall for my needs.

Thanks
Waikiwi is offline Find More Posts by Waikiwi