HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:53 AM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Thanks guys

murdnunoc, the airfoil is nothing too specific, just a TLAR job with a flat bottom. The wings are indeed solid balsa, the fuselage itself makes up for probably over half of the AUW! This could be made a lot lot lighter.

Now that I've got it flying properly, I've posted it in the Micro & Indoor forum here with pics of the build and more general info.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:32 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by novastar View Post
Just for giggles, I temporarily removed the Turnigy 2836-3700 K/V outrunner on my Stryker and put in a Turnigy 2836-2350 (~2,700 K/V) motor and an APC completely stock 7x5E prop. Charged up my 5S 2,300 mAh LiFePo4 pack and took it for a spin. I wanted to test (primarily) sustained climbing performance and lastly, horizontal acceleration and top end straight and level speed. I was not disappointed. The plane climbed like a banshee. Easily broke 1,000 feet above the field in several climbs. My question is (for the speed folks), which APC prop below will give more climbing power and level speed without too many more Amps than what the 7x5E prop is pulling?

[APC 7" props]

1.) APC 7x6 Sport Propeller
2.) APC 7x7 Sport Propeller
3.) APC 7x9 Sport Propeller
The APC 7x7 will draw slightly less amps than a 7x5E static.
In the air, the 7x5E unloads more than a 7x7 and will draw less amps at full throttle.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jun 20, 2010, 03:09 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Quote:
Just for giggles, I temporarily removed the Turnigy 2836-3700 K/V outrunner on my Stryker and put in a Turnigy 2836-2350 (~2,700 K/V) motor and an APC completely stock 7x5E prop. Charged up my 5S 2,300 mAh LiFePo4 pack and took it for a spin. I wanted to test (primarily) sustained climbing performance and lastly, horizontal acceleration and top end straight and level speed. I was not disappointed. The plane climbed like a banshee. Easily broke 1,000 feet above the field in several climbs. My question is (for the speed folks), which APC prop below will give more climbing power and level speed without too many more Amps than what the 7x5E prop is pulling?

[APC 7" props]

1.) APC 7x6 Sport Propeller
2.) APC 7x7 Sport Propeller
3.) APC 7x9 Sport Propeller
Cool! Did you measure amps/watts with the 7*5 on 5S?
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:25 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
This highway patrol officer pulled up while I was flying today. He just wanted to check it out, and he asked me to fly my Stryker straight at his patrol car to see if his radar could get the speed (It couldnt, to small while comming head on we think).

Very eventful maiden flight!!!

(This picture is from my Trojan obviously)
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:50 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Finally managed to get youtube to recognise my videos as HD, so now you see more than a pixel

from earlier today in the field where I usually fly, I nosed it in pretty hard in the first clip, a tall weed in the field pulled it down in the 2nd...handles impacts very well.
micro Stryker F-27 3S - trimmed and not so slow (3 min 33 sec)

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Last edited by micro_builder; Jun 20, 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: der, i can spell?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:07 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,378 Posts
Ok, that fast little baby stryker is a tough act to follow.......wow! Did not see that one coming......zip....zap.....zip!

I put some balsa elevons on my 6S park flyer stryker yesterday using alot of info from moparmyways RC universe thread (beginners to darkside) and re-maidened it today with great success. Using toothpicks to hold the basswood T.E.'s in line and more toothpicks to anchor the dubro pinned hinges (4 per side) worked really, really goood.

I had crash landed it on the first maiden two weeks ago after a decent flight. Just minor damage to wingtips and stock elevons.

(How many times can a plane be maidened anyway? )

I flew it twice today and landed great both times which felt nice. Something is not right with the hobbywing 60 amp 6S esc. The manual says it has overcurrent and overheat protection. That seemed to be kicking in right away if I opened the throttle quickly. Seemed to do better if I slowly pushed the stick up. ESC got fairly hot to touch. Medusa Motor and hyperion lipos stayed cool. No wattmeter test yet, I was too anxious to fly.

The wings were not flexing like before, I think the basswood T.E.'s stiffened it up a bit. I'll post a video when it finishes uploading. Had a couple decent fast passes and you can hear the ESC sounding weird. It never affected the servos. This plane handles nicest of my three builds so far. I need to order a castle ice 100 perhaps.
NOTAR 600 is online now Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:40 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
My outrunner stryker should be ready to go tomorrow.

But before I begin the Outrunner mayhem, the ARC 36-55-1.5 is going on first.

I'm thinking APC 6.5x6.5 or 7x7 on 4S for starters. If that goes well, I will try it on 5S with the same props.

I can fit 8" props on it for some serious thrust with the Turnigy outrunners.

I have APC 8x7, 8x6, 8x4 to try out.

Did I mention this is a "rainbow stryker" Pics to come.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:19 AM
President @ Acadian RC Club
Lafayette, Louisiana
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
this is all i want to buy!

Excite F5D Pylon very fast (2 min 0 sec)
jonathan7x70 is offline Find More Posts by jonathan7x70
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:39 AM
Voltage is LiFe
US East Coast
Joined Aug 2007
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
The APC 7x7 will draw slightly less amps than a 7x5E static.
In the air, the 7x5E unloads more than a 7x7 and will draw less amps at full throttle.
Thanks Mopar. I am thinking that the 7x9 is just too much pitch and I could potentially overamp my batteries and/or motor. I am going to order some 7x6 and 7x7 props from TowerHobbies tonight for some more experimentation. I know my setup is like a trainer compared to some of your stuff, but its climbs were nothing to shake a stick at
novastar is offline Find More Posts by novastar
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:44 AM
Voltage is LiFe
US East Coast
Joined Aug 2007
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Cool! Did you measure amps/watts with the 7*5 on 5S?
Actually, awhile ago I tested this same setup on a FunJet (statically), but I never flew it. The stupid cheap HobbyCity prop adapter at the time I was using was slipping, but I remember about ~52 Amps at WOT. The batteries in 5S configuration that I fly with are somewhere in between a 3S and 4S LiPo. They are not on par with a 5S LiPo. That's why I know I can try some "different" prop and motor combos than say a standard LiPo setup (3S/4S/5S). The last flight made was with a Turnigy 3,700 K/V motor and a TGS 6x4E prop on that same 5S pack. That setup is good for about 1,000 Watts statically, but unloads nicely in the air.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:47 AM
Voltage is LiFe
US East Coast
Joined Aug 2007
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
My outrunner stryker should be ready to go tomorrow.

But before I begin the Outrunner mayhem, the ARC 36-55-1.5 is going on first.

I'm thinking APC 6.5x6.5 or 7x7 on 4S for starters. If that goes well, I will try it on 5S with the same props.

I can fit 8" props on it for some serious thrust with the Turnigy outrunners.

I have APC 8x7, 8x6, 8x4 to try out.

Did I mention this is a "rainbow stryker" Pics to come.

Johnny, for me, nothing beats fast unlimited vertical climbing ability. What you are about to experiment with, will certainly give you that. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. I am interested in some of the props you have mentioned.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:24 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Uf!!! I have been using HS 81's and 85's so long I forgot what to use for servo arms on the 65's.

What is everyone using for long arms? Besides the weak red dubro ones.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:33 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
The stock "single" arm. It comes in the bag at the bottom of the servo "cube"
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:22 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
The stock "single" arm. It comes in the bag at the bottom of the servo "cube"
Really? That's what I was going to use because it's the best I have to work with, but I thought there was something better.

Last night I remembered Ben telling me about these, but I can't remember how long they are. They attach to the little 4-point horn that comes on the HS-65.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=2193
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:01 PM
Not again!!!!!!!
Dallas, Texas
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mopar. I am thinking that the 7x9 is just too much pitch and I could potentially overamp my batteries and/or motor. I am going to order some 7x6 and 7x7 props from TowerHobbies tonight for some more experimentation. I know my setup is like a trainer compared to some of your stuff, but its climbs were nothing to shake a stick at

Hey Novastar, what size ESC are you using with your 2350kv and 3700kv motors?
Switch2403 is offline Find More Posts by Switch2403