HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:22 AM
Living Large On Lake Sinclair
United States, GA, Eatonton
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
Discussion
Proper Push For Small Servos/Arms

Been a kit builder for 20 years. Love FPV, something new to do with the hobby.

My concern is proper push rods for the small servos we all use in most FPV platforms. Years gone by, no issue as I used full size servos, and 256, 440 size wire would work, not the case with the little 9gram servos often used. Sure I can drill out the servo arm to accept a little larger wire, but I also weaken the servo arm at that location.

So, what are you doing in this regard? Am I still thinking big wire due to old habits? Since we are not knife edging our Long Rang FPV planes, most are foam, is it just fine to use the small push rod wires since we are not flying this way. I just don't want to be a mile+ out and have a rod failure ( through never have happened in past 20 years or RC flying) Thanks in advance for your advice in this area.
flyifr is offline Find More Posts by flyifr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:15 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
996 Posts
(All my rigs are wings ranging from 34" to 64") On my mid and longer range platforms I use full size servos. On the short range I use standard size--metal gear servos on all of them. To keep the wires straight I use CF tubes and Gorilla Glue.
Use the same wire reinforcement on my combat wings--have never had a failure. Had servo arms sheered off--the tubes stayed intact.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:43 AM
Living Large On Lake Sinclair
United States, GA, Eatonton
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
Thanks for your input Fullbird...bottom line you don't use smaller, more difficult to use servos on your FPV birds.
flyifr is offline Find More Posts by flyifr