Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 19, 2014, 03:33 AM
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
90 Posts
Discussion
Kyosho Fairwind 900 and Fairwind 2 differences?

Hi

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two Kyosho yachts mentioned above

Thanks

Mike
mikesan is offline Find More Posts by mikesan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:32 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,929 Posts
The original kit has a blow molded plastic hull and you had to assemble everything. The newest version is a RTR built on a fiberglass hull. There have been some serious comparisons done between them here on RCG.
Some of the issues were that the newest offering is not class leagal if you intend to race. And, because it's already built, you couldn't set it up for racing as easily.
Or do you mean specifically the second version of the series of three plastic kits?

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:06 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,438 Posts
The early FW's were pretty much all the same the FW lll had some big changes

As Dave mentioned below, the primary difference between the early Fairwind's and the FW lll is their materials of construction. The Earlier models were molded hulls and decks made of ABS and sold as kits. I am not aware of any differences between the earlier models other than the graphics the factory provided. See images below of a number of different vintages of Fairwinds. There may have been some very minor refinements but I can't tell you what they might have been. Sorry.

The latest version the FW lll was fiberglass construction and sold as "ready set" (factory assembled) and finished in a beautiful white & blue gel coat finish (requires no painting) and the deck is finished with a matching white urethane paint. Arguably the best finish ever put on a production RC sailboat.

Kyosho modified the keel on the FW lll making it at tad wider and deeper to improve stability. To be exact it is 30mm longer. The claim being the new keel "combines with the ideal area and aspect ratio setting of the keel to realize accurate turning control." From what I can find the on the factory website the FW lll is also very slightly longer, wider, taller and heavier. See the spec's below. Someone may have different numbers - please feel free to correct my numbers if they are not accurate. Oh, the first FW lll's came with the ballast installed but after countless complaints of cracked hulls (due to shipping damages) they packed the ballast carefully in a separate area of the shipping box for the buyer to install. The boxes were not up to protecting the keel from the impacts suffered in transit. I got one and was fortunate that Kyosho replaced it for me. Nice folks at their Lake Forest offices.

I have had several FW lll's but never had any of the earlier models, so I am not the one to say if the change achieved the objective. I can say it is a better a far better looking hull with the changes they made. My boat handles as well as one would hope, so no complaints from me.

Here are the specs I could find for the FW lll:
Length: 914 mm or 35.984252 inches
Width: 230 mm or 9.06 inches
Height: 1,580 mm or 62.2047244 inches
Weight: 4,000g (approx.) 8.81849049 pounds
Sail Area: 38.1dm2 or 590.551181 Sq. inches

Dimensional Specs: for a Fairwind, Fairwind II, and Fairwind 900
Length: 35.40 inches (899 mm)
Beam Width: 8.90 inches (226 mm)
Weight: 8.00 Lbs. (3629 g)
Full Height: 61.40 inches (1560 mm)
Total sail area 590.7 sq inches.

AMYA specifications:
Length Overall (LOA) :900 mm
Beam:226 mm
Displacement:Minimum 8.0 lbs.
Mast Height:1220 mm
Sail Area: 0.381 m2 or 590.551181 square inches

I would guess the FW lll would not pass the AMYA rules due to the very slight size differences but frankly don't think there would much of difference. Skipper is generally the deciding factor. (my opinion)

I can't race in the class anyway since mine FW lll is now a "motor sailor" and would blow the doors off any other Fairwind It is really fun to surprise my unknowing fellow sailors when I hit the power.

Always fun to have something different.

Fairwinds have been around for 20 years as far as I can tell and have stood the test of time. The FW lll was a depature for Kyosho to perhaps stimulate stagnant sales. They have for now discontinued the Fairwind lll as they did their venerable Seawind. However they brought the Seawind back as a "ready set" factory built model after stopping kit production. They seem to be selling well for now so perhaps we'll see another Fairwind release in few years. Time will tell.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:06 AM
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
90 Posts
Many Thanks I have bought a Fairwind 2 kit which was never completed and as no instruction manual available I have been able to download Fairwind ands fair wind 900 so will try and work it out from there

Mike
Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
90 Posts
One further question on something puzzling me

what are the rubber bands for under the cover?/

Mike
Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
90 Posts
The message above should read Fairwind 3 not Fairwind
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,438 Posts
Post a picture of the rubber bands. Not sure without seeing where they are located. I would think the FW900 plans will work for you.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1