HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:57 PM
Joined Mar 2014
59 Posts
Discussion
Fokker Dr.1 - Prop Shaft Issue

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I took my Fokker out today. It was my first flight with it. I am a noob here! I have been flying my Champ for a couple weeks now, and it's a great little plane, and boy, can it take a beating well. Well, I figured the Fokker would be fun to fly….I was wrong. As soon as the thing took off it stalled, and stalled, and stalled (tail heavy) and then it crashed nose-down and the top wing ripped right off, and the tail ripped right off at the hinge. So, I was okay with this, no problem…nothing that tape and glue can't fix.

Then I turned on the tx to test my newly taped tail/rudder, and decided to check the prop by giving it throttle, and I noticed the prop was not getting full power…..and missing. So I grabbed the prop and it jiggles, and pulls slightly in and out. So then I pulled the nose cover, and engine cover off (foam parts) to check the prop, and it appears the prop is sliding forward and back, and as a result is not letting the two white gears track correctly at all. The prop shaft has too much play now. Something has come loose, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that is. As long as the prop shaft is shimmying forward and backward there is no way the gears will stay together and turn correctly to get this thing flying again. I can't figure out what held it in place to begin with????? The shaft is slipping forward, so now the gears are separating.

Has anyone else run into this at all?

This makes me so mad, as I haven't even flown this thing yet. I understand these things are made of foam, and have to be light, but damn, you'd think they'd make them a bit more sturdier….like the Champ.
smittyboy is offline Find More Posts by smittyboy
Last edited by smittyboy; Jun 20, 2014 at 11:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2014, 08:30 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Jun 2014
37 Posts
Wish I could help

Wish I could help you. I bought that plane a while ago and once I took it out of the box and felt how fragile the foam is right away it earned a spot as a shelf queen.

I might give it a try one day but right now having too much fun with my UMX Radian.

I am no expert but it sounds like you might need to change out the motor.

Good luck and I hope you get it to fly again.

Barry
wwdragon is offline Find More Posts by wwdragon
Old Jun 21, 2014, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,297 Posts
Hi,
It is fragile but I've flown mine a lot in the last year and a half. It sounds like you might have to replace the motor. There are some descriptions on the FZ Dr1 threads. It takes some work but is doable. Don't get discouraged. Try to use this a way to get some experience with modeling.
Hope this helps.
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Jun 22, 2014, 09:12 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
All that you describe about your Flyzone DR1 are known issues and discussed on its thread at RCGroups.com.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1416692

Had mine about flying again this Sunday morning under the partly cloudy sky and during the sunrise. It can fly very well with some rework. Honestly! Here is what I did prior to my maiden flight:

1) Added a length of steel rod to the nose by taping it under the engine cowl next to the gear box. About 1.5 grams worth.

2) Applied clear tape to every single joint where the wing struts meets the wing and fuselage. I cut very small pieces of lightweight packing tape and applied to both sides of each joint. Also did this to the landing gear frame.

3) Removed and rebuilt the gearbox. My DR1 still shipped with the generation 1 gearbox which I have found to sometimes suffer from;
A) A loose retaining nut on the shaft. This is the problem you describe that is causing your poor gear mesh.
B) A plastic pinion gear with the hole drilled off-center and thus causing piss-poor gear meshing. I replace a bad pinion with a new good-one from my spare Flyzone 7mm motors.
C) A loose fit between the propeller shaft and the bushings/bearings. I haven't tried to locate better fitting parts and simply live with the loud, lawn mower, sound to the plane.

IMO. None of the micro Flyzone warbirds are anywhere near as sturdy as the micro Champ. To me the Flyzones are built in a very scale and lightweight manor that is well matched to the 7mm motor and larger propeller. Flights times of 15 minutes on the factory 130-140mah batteries are routine with throttle management. Yet flying more aggressively, all of the Flyzone micro models loop and rudder-role in a very entertaining manor. In general the design tradeoffs are good, with the understanding that these planes are not made the crash, and do require some tweaking for highest performance!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Jun 22, 2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:00 PM
Joined Apr 2013
572 Posts
Smittyboy - My DR-1 did the same thing. Stalled and crashed. Tail heavy.

It came apart every where. I took it home and glued it back together again. Added a smidgen of lead to the bottom of the dummy motor. Returned to the flying site and gave it another hand launch. It flew. I was not at all impressed. I have three Flyzone planes. The Cub, DR-1 and the P-38. The cub is a very sweet flier. Does not like wind at all. But super nice inside flying. The DR-1 is pretty much a dud as far as I'm concerned. I saw a guy on you-tube flying a dr-1 in the city streets last winter. He was really giving the DR-1 the business. He made me realize that the problem with the DR-1 was me. He really had it doing well.

I bought a TT650 radio so I could make some adjustments. Now the DR-1 does much better but still not on of my favorite planes. I find the ParkZone planes so much better the FlyZone planes are just hanging from the ceiling in my man cave. Fun to look at but I hate the noise.

Better luck next time. Hope you find what you want and get your DR-1 sorted out.

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GoPro videos of my UMX WarBirds
Old Jun 24, 2014, 08:49 PM
Joined Mar 2014
59 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys. I just sent Flyzone an email…waiting to here from them. For now, I am shelving this airplane. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world, and I have no desire to rip this thing apart to put a new motor in it. If I did that, it would definitely not be another Fokker motor, that's for sure. It's a piece of junk. First flight and it broke…so much for quality.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 02:34 AM
Joined Apr 2013
572 Posts
smitty:

These are super easy to repair. Just use a razor knife and cut the tape holding the sides together. once you look inside it's reallt simple to fix. You can't go wrong.

I find that repairing and doing maintenance is the most fun is this hobby. I've built planes that I've never flown. They are just hanging around the man cave.

Give it a go. Most probably tower hobbies will send you another motor. If the do - install it and put that little bigger in the air again.

The Flyzone cub is a real nice flier. I hit a stop sign many weeks ago with my FZ Cub and she hit the ground hard. I had to do a little patch but she's flying again well. Maybe you just picked the wrong FZ plane to start with (If this is your first?).
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GoPro videos of my UMX WarBirds
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:44 PM
Joined Mar 2014
59 Posts
Yep, this is my first Flyzone plane. I figured this would be a good 2nd plane to fly, as I have been training on the Parkzone Champ since April, and have gotten really good at flying it. I thought the Fokker would be a breeze to fly.