HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2013, 03:51 AM
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Question
What is a reversible shaft on a motor?

I'm looking at getting into Quads. I already own a micro that I built and I want to upgrade. I have used ValueHobby as my source for many odds and ends equipment for planes and I'd like to use them for my multi-copters as well.

I was looking at some motors in their multi-copter section and I see that some are "regular spin" shafts and others are "reverse spin". What does this mean and what should I buy? I am familiar with the NTM prop drives with the prop adapter that gets mounted to the motor. It looks like the GForce motors have these as well. I have just never heard of reverse spin shafts before. I know that you can make a motor spin in the opposite direction by switching two of the three wires. I don't think that is what "reverse spin shaft" refers to though.

These are the motors I'm referring to.

http://www.valuehobby.com/multicopte...r2814-set.html

Thanks!
schome1 is online now Find More Posts by schome1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2013, 06:30 AM
making little girls cry.
Australia, VIC, Balwyn
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
I think its referring to the direction of the thread on the adapter, 2 are left hand threads and 2 are right hand threads. The idea being that the motors that go clockwise get the left hand thread and anti-clockwise motors get the right hand thread (or the other way around, Im unsure). Its to stop the possibility of the nut unwinding as the motor spins.
Ive seen this around a bit recently and never really considered getting these shafts. Just make sure your nuts are on tight.
eFinger is online now Find More Posts by eFinger
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:56 AM
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
That makes perfect sense - thank you!
schome1 is online now Find More Posts by schome1