Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
71 Posts
Question
What Do You Think of HobbyKing?

I haven't heard much about HobbyKing for some reason, and I was wondering how reputable of a company it is. Do their planes fly well? Do they have good customer service? How fast is their shipping?

Thanks!
ClevelandBaller is offline Find More Posts by ClevelandBaller
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I have not had much experience with them, but most people don't buy planes from them because of quality control. However, they are quite good as a cheap source for servos, motors, and ESC's. Also, turnigy and zippy lipos are great deals. Those nanotech lipos are great, I have a few and they are as good as other brands for half or less of the price.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:02 PM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
only thing i've ordered from them was several of the 160mah nanotech batteries from China a while back and it took 6 days to get...no idea about your other questions
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My staple plane the UM P-51
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:02 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,066 Posts
not used them myself but this forum may help: http://www.rcgroups.com/united-hobbies-hobby-king-441/
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2011
470 Posts
durafly planes are good
Pyrofan is offline Find More Posts by Pyrofan
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:23 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,031 Posts
I have spent thousands with them on dozens of orders Mostly motors, servos, and ESCs, along with several other small items. No complaints here, and as stated above the nano tech batteries rock. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:23 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Planes are fine when bought from the USA warehouse.
I've bought 3 BIG planes (5+ lbs plane) from HK within the last 5 months and they've arrived in excellent well packed and double boxed.

Just do your research and read the reviews on the HK site for the plane. Just make sure you aren't seeing too many issues.

Shipping from the USA warehouse is very fast from the 20 or so orders I've done from there. i will usually get it within 3-5 days.

Shipping from the International warehouse (hong kong) can take some time. Average time for me has been about 12-15 days. Some have reported as long as 21-30 days. I've done about 50 or so order from there.

Customer Service
HobbyKing is based in Hong Kong. It is obviously not in the US and can't provide the service that Horizon hobby, hobby-lobby, or your LHS can, so if you need that kind of service, don't buy from HK. You won't get any hand holding, or 1 to 1 help.

HK does offer live chat, email, etc, which I've found extremely helpful, but they are helpful for instances where you need to look up an order, cancel and order, and things like that; however, don't expect things like, if my plane is 5 lbs, which motor do I need? or how can I install this or that.

Be prepared, if you get an occasional bad prop, or bad Lipo to toss it. Shipping it back won't make much sense at all.

In the 70+ orders I've bought from them, I've received 1 broken 12x6 GWS prop, 1 DOA $3 servo, and a missing windshield on a cub. I took the loss on the prop and the $3 servo. After about 3 months, the windshield was replaced.

What HK does do well in is their rock bottom prices and awesome selection. I now have over 20 planes(3 from HK), with 90% electronics from HK, and I've manage to do that with very little money. If I had done that anywhere else, I would of ended up with about 5 planes.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,332 Posts
Hey now,
Their prices are very low. If you order from their China warehouse it can take quite a while to get your order. If you order from a wRehouse that is local to you it's not so bad.
The batteries they sell Unser whatever name are very cheap but the "C" rating they give is always very wrong. Their fourty five C cells are closer to twenty five etc and they wear out quickly if you use them anywhere near their limits. Example; if you draw say twenty amps or less from a 2200-3s pack you'll get up to a year service from them and that may be viable. But if you draw thirty or more amps you'll likely only get a dozen or so cycles before they. Degrade to the point of not working for that aplication.

Same kind of thing with most of their motors. If you use one in the middle of it's power range in a single engine sportster they're mostly ok. If you need to push them get something else. Also if you need a multi motor system don't use their motors. The kv and sometimes even shaft size in the add or on the box seldom has anything to do with the actual motor.
Servos? Ok for a cheap foamie but not for anything you care about. And longevity? Not none not nohow.
The airframes make a nice place to start for a good plane but often need serious reworking for a good flyer be/or scaleish look.
Customer service? That's right up there with their aulity control. Nonexistant.
RobIZi
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I disagree with the battery "C" rating on the nanotechs........ my 25C 3S 2200's perform just as well as my parkzone and voltz lipos. The nanotechs are still going strong after 60 cycles, while the parkzone one is very puffed, and the Voltz one sags under load and loses power quickly.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:04 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Hobbyking customer service

Did 14 orders with HK to date. Up to the last one no issues. Last order, plane had a less than advertised out runner. Placed message with their customer service, sent pictures of the wrong motor. Had to send the entire plane back to WA at my expense. That was three weeks ago. I'm being told to wait for the " inspection" process. They closed my request as "satisfied".

Lesson here is as mentioned, great prices, super selection, average quality product, no quality assurance or compassion with customer service. Take a shot and spin the wheel.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:04 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,541 Posts
They are great but be an informed shopper and research before you buy. I've had things get to me from Hong Kong in 3 days, I know thats a fluke as most orders take about 3 weeks...
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
+1, read the product reviews. If its gushing with awesomeness about the plane, its probably fake.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:14 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
+1, read the product reviews. If its gushing with awesomeness about the plane, its probably fake.
Really? The last plane I bought for $49 was bursting with awesome reviews and I bought it...and no surprise, it was AWESOME! Best $49 I've ever spent, EVER on any RC stuff.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17628

Would you prefer buying a plane with bad/negative reviews?
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:37 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Hobbyking has one thing going for it and that's dirt cheap prices. If you want good service and support or fast shipping then look elsewhere.

Google "hobbyking customer service" and you'll see that you're pretty much on your own if you get something defective or if something isn't right with the order.

Most of the products they sell ship from a warehouse in Hong Kong unless it has something like "(USA Warehouse)" or the like at the end of it's name. You can't mix products from different warehouses in the same order. Orders can sometimes take a few days to be shipped out (including the US warehouse), especially if it says one of the items ships from a back warehouse. Orders shipping from Hong Kong must go through customs which takes additional time. Pay attention when selecting the shipping method. If you're ordering from the international warehouse and use the cheap air mail shipping it can take up to 6 weeks for an order to reach you. Click the postage table at the top to get an idea of how long each shipping method takes.

Also know that if you place an order that contains items on backorder it won't ship out until they are back in stock. Some people have had to wait months to receiver their order because they weren't paying attention.

Don't be too surprised if you get something that doesn't work (quality control can be poor with some of the items they sell). Some people order extras to be on the safe side.

For these reasons I don't recommend beginners buy from sites like hobbyking.

If you understand the risks and still want to buy from them then be sure to take advantage of their 1-time offers, buddy codes/swarm and combo prices. A good site to check out for buddy codes and combo prices is RCSearch.info (don't bother using search, it doesn't work, just browse through the categories). Remember you can only have one 1-time offer and one buddy code item per order but there's no limit on how many combo price items you can have.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Jul 23, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:39 PM
Arizona Fun
Casa Grande Arizona
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Too risky for my taste. I placed a first time order with HK once. They instantly took money out of my bank account from my credit card info, but for days the order showed unprocessed... not shipped. I finally did the 'live chat' with them and get this, they wanted me to take a picture of my credit card and e-mail it to them! How's that for a 1st step in trust? I felt like I was dealing with an underground black market. My money gone in an instant but they wanted proof I was myself. I refused and canceled the order, I nervously had to wait 2 weeks for the money to show up in my bank account again. They kept a small transaction fee though. Never again will I play with Hobby Hing, and Hing is sarcastic.
ArizonaFun is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaFun