Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:40 PM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post

...Don't feel to bad. I handed the radio to a friend and we did the same maneuver from about 50 foot. My fault. I put it in pretty hard just prior and did not check things out. Elevator let lose so my friend had no control.

On the bright side…..very little damage and what there was can be fixed very easly with welders and 5 minutes. Gotta love EPP.
Yes sir, Gatta love EPP. One thing i Like to make a positive note on is on he design of the plane. They way it hit and how hard it hit sure is design with strength in mind. Looking foward to geting better at flying and buying more twisted EPP's.
AirHermit is offline Find More Posts by AirHermit
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:59 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
Nice vid Shawn!
Thank you Dan.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:02 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I don't think the terms "3D" and "overkill" belong together
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:15 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
I don't think the terms "3D" and "overkill" belong together
I think they go perfectly together.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I've seen some pretty wimpy 3D planes..... namely my UMX Extra 300 that started out at 35 grams and was up 46 grams of packing tape when I retired it. 81 grams on a little brushed motor and a 130mmx70mm prop. I wouldn't go vertical and couldnt KE anymore
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,218 Posts
Quote:
Some fun with the Sbach
https://vimeo.com/46719396
Very nice Shawn, you can really get a feel for the size of the RS-342 in your video.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Twisted Realm; Aug 01, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:25 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Thanks Brad. It really does fly big. This is one sweet flying plane. The more i fly it, the more it is becoming my go to plane. And its fun taking so much risk with a plane this size. Knowing just a little Welders will get you back in the air after most mishaps, makes me fly realy low

I had a tail draggin (well ...and a wing draggin) good time today.

Last edited by Gravitycheat; Aug 04, 2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Any chance of a youtube link? I can't watch certain vimeo things on my phone.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:55 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Any chance of a youtube link? I can't watch certain vimeo things on my phone.
I don't do Youtube. Sorry
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Alright. S' cool
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:23 PM
Limb stalker
Taft, TN
Joined Aug 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Brad. It really does fly big. This is one sweet flying plane. The more i fly it, the more it is becoming my go to plane. And its fun taking so much risk with a plane this size. Knowing just a little Welders will get you back in the air after most mishaps, makes me fly realy low

I noticed no SFG's on your Sbach. I've already beat the front off of mine. was wondering if there was a reason for leaving them off?
Parksinatree is offline Find More Posts by Parksinatree
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:

Shawn, You were ripping it up today. I think it may be time for another video. You are getting very efficient and with the new motor it seems like the timing is there. You are making me want one really BAD!
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:59 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parksinatree View Post
I noticed no SFG's on your Sbach. I've already beat the front off of mine. was wondering if there was a reason for leaving them off?
There is a reason that I did not install the SFG’s. I would like to say that it had to do with aerodynamic testing or a design change ordered from the designer or some other very important reason however, that is not the case….
The reason they are not installed is………..I FORGOT!!
I had them out on the bench and was going to install them last and just forgot. I will install them today.
Thanks for pointing it out.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:18 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,670 Posts
New Favorite!!!.

Finally.... I got this new plane in the air... reading all the posts and watching the videos of those that are already done was making me crazy. I have decided that this plane is not an Sbach, it's Sbertha, IT'S HUGE! My AUW was exactly 24oz with 3s 1600 batteries (given it size... I expected more), and of couse no Landing Gear, as many of you know, it just gets in the way when I am flying low... lol... no but seriously, flying off of grassy Parks is not Landing Gear friendly... I did however install all the plates and brackets for the LG so I can easily attach it at a later date if needed

The build was pretty straight forward, I took a little different approach to this one... with the exception of the aileron servo arm extensions, I only used stuff that came in the box!! Although this is a very big plane, it is still a foamie, and I wanted to give the RC Factory methods a whirl.... Not bad, sure there are lots of things that people will want to do different, like the rudder hinge system and the pull-pull cables also on the rudder (and I might have been one of those), but honestly their methods were well thought out and worked great. I will report back here as time goes on about how securing the pull-pull thread on the servo side under the head of a screw works, but see no reason why it won't weather my abuse just fine.

I used the familair Welder construction methods (foam to foam joints), and where ever possible did the tack to dry and press together techinique. I did use a little more CA on this build than normally.... all the carbon spars and stiffners got CA'd... I will continue this on future builds... it worked great.

With the excpetion of the servos... I used everything from the power set that is sold on the Twisted Hobbys Website. I did use servos from Twisted Hobbys, but they were the next ones up MG16Rs. The ones in the power set are actually a better fit for the plane, they just were not in stock when I ordered.

FLYING!!.... OMG!!
It was pretty gusty out this afternoon when I went out to the park for Sbertha's Maiden flight, but did not hesitate to through it up. My initial control surface setting were very close, ended up moving the battery towards the tail for good upright and inverted neutrality, but will wait to report on the exact COG location until I have a chance to fly in calmer conditions. I did add a washer under the two left tabs of the motor mount, and before I go out again will also add a washer of down thrust. Power off dives from altitude were straight as an arrow, so CG is probably pretty close. I was immediately comfortable flying this plane and was literally throwing it around right in front of me as if it were Crack Yak or something, which, I must say surprised me a little. You certainly have to allow for the extra mass, but with the power set motor, there was an abundance of punch out power and smooth transitions from low to high rpm.

Roll Rate... with the throws as shown in the pictures was super.. not sure exactly how fast, but probably somewhere in the 1 to 2 rolls per second range.

Elevator and Rudder Authority... both very strong, easy to set up control surfaces to +/- 45 degrees... and even in slow flight there was good control.

The Verdict...
If you are hesitant, afraid or just sitting on the fence about getting a bigger plane, you should consider this one.... you can throw it around much like the smaller planes but handles the wind and gusts much better. When I go out to fly, I usually take anywhere from 20 to 50 various sized charged packs and airplanes to fit them, and fly them all... with this plane in my hanger I will bulk up my supply of 1600-1800 3s lipos and very likely only take it when I head out. It has a great paint scheme, it's big in the air, a pleasure to fly, and best of all..... made from EPP, so fly low, fly hard and have fun!!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee