HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Lafayette, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:07 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Build Log
Tail assembly mod for bixler/skysurfer.

Here is a simple tail mod TAIL MOD ASSEMBLY, pics and instructions by Lafayette.
I work with a whole bunch of kids, and this one too will be in their hands and hopefully our first FPV platform. SO, make it strong!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENJOY!
Got my plane from Readymaderc, best place, best price, quick shipping, and the best customer service I have experienced. Also it is V1 which has the control rods out of the fuse with the max space inside.

TAIL ASSEMBLY MOD:

-1 drill bit 9/64th
-1 drill bit3/8th
-1 drill bit 5/16th

NOTE: *the 9/64 drill bit is the exact size of the nylon bolt used, the 3/8 is the exact diameter to enlarge the tail well to accommodate the head of the nylon bolt.
The 5/16 is the exact size for the well nut to fit in the vertical stab.
I recommend using an assortment of bits, starting with smaller than needed to progressively drill the foam to the desired size and prevent taking out chunks of foam and allow for corrections to drill straight and true.
This type foam has a tendency to come out on little beads.

*If you want to, you may glue the tail surface to the fuse. However, I came up with a very easy solution. This will allow for a quick and secure way to put the tail together and take it apart for transport.
*The whole aircraft will fit in its convenient original box for transport. See Transport box mods later in this manual.

# 1- Look on the bottom of the fuselage, at the tail end. It looks like the "bump" was intended to mount a tail wheel or such. Look inside the well and you should see a small whole.

# 2- Look at the horizontal stabilizer. The point at which it will fit under the vertical stabilizer has a small mark, indentation. If not, no problem.

# 3- Place the vertical stab in the mounting slot on the tail, than insert the horizontal stab. Hold tail assembly tightly in place and squared to the fuselage. Take a small carbon rod or piano wire and insert it from the bottom of the fuse through the small whole and push to indent the bottom of the horizontal stab. Make sure to keep the carbon rod or piano wire square to the fuselage in both axis.

# 4- Remove the 2 stabs from the tail. Hold the two stabs as they would be mounted. Hold tightly.

# 5- Now note the spot where you made the indentation on the bottom center of the horizontal stabilizer. Slightly separate the 2 stabs to see where the indentation on the bottom would hit the vertical stab if the wire would be going through the vertical stab at 90 degrees square in both axis.

# 6- If you look carefully at the bottom of the vertical stab, you will notice "steps".
Right behind the front part of the vertical stab that inserts in the fuse you will notice 3 steps where the horizontal stab meets with the vertical stab.
What you are looking for is to see if the indentation made on the bottom of the horizontal. stab would match dead center on the second (middle step) of the bottom of the vertical stab.

# 7- When you are satisfied you will have a match, put the stabs back as they should be mounted on the fuse, making sure once more that the two stabs are held tight in position and squared to the fuselage.
Slowly drive the piano wire at 90 degrees, square on both axis, through the tail well and through the horizontal stab.

# 8- Remove the piano wire and check again where the hole on the top of the horizontal stab coincides on the tail. Again it should hit dead center on the middle step. I satisfied, reassemble the tail, hold firmly in place, squared to the fuselage, and push the carbon micro rod or piano wire until it penetrates the bottom of the vertical stab 1/2 inch max.

# 9- Take a small drill bit and insert it through the tail assembly gently turning in until it reaches through the tail of the fuse, the horizontal stab and finally in the vertical stab (1/2 inch max). Make sure to hold the tail assembly tightly as you proceed, and that the tail assembly is square to the fuselage. Repeat with larger drill bits until you finally use the 9/64 bit.

#10- Next step is to enlarge the hole in the "bump" of the fuselage's tail end to accommodate for the head of the nylon bolt. DO NOT GO THROUGH ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE FUSELAGE. If you look inside you should have already noticed that there is a certain thickness of the top part of the fuselage. Do not drill through that. this will be used to glue a plastic washer as a retainer for the nylon bolt. Work your way up to the 3/8 bit.

#11 Use the non threaded side of the 3/8 drill bit to smooth out the hole and create a flatter surface to glue the plastic washer inside of the fuselage tail well.

#12 dry fit the plastic washer inside the tail well using the smooth end if the 3/8 drill bit to position it. It should be fairly tight and flush.

#13 Remove the washer carefully by pushing it back from the top side of the fuse.
Insert the tip of the ca bottle in the hole and place some CA where the washer will sit in place. Use the smooth end of the drill bit to push the washer and set it in place firmly. Try not to have excess glue in the center opening of the washer.

Note: I did not use Gorilla glue as it expand 3x and would certainly find a way to get into the well nut and obstruct the threads and as well obstruct the opening in the washers.

#14 Let dry for quite a while before being tempted to insert the nylon bolt.
(CA LOVES PLASTIC!)

#15 While the CA on the washer sets and dries, enlarge the hole in the bottom of the vertical stab working your way up to the 5/16 bit. NO MORE THAN 1/2 INCH. Dry fit the well nut in the bottom of the vertical stab making sure it rests squared on the 2nd step. Assemble the tail assembly in place when the washer is completely dry. Insert the nylon bolt through the tail horizontal stab and screw into the well nut in the vertical stab it should fit perfect. Remove the nylon bolt and disassemble the tail surfaces. Remove the well nut.

NOTE: the bottom of the well nut is not fitted in the foam, as to act as a compression washer and secure the assembly, as well as providing a bit of a shock absorber!

#16 use rubbing alcohol to clean the well nut on the outside and dry. Apply some CA on the well nut, all around, but not too much on the end as it could pool in the threads.
Carefully insert the well nut, and use tape to keep it tightly secured in place. Let dry completely.

DONE!
YOU NOW HAVE A VERY SECURE
EASY TO TAKE APART TAIL ASSEMBLY.
(Iwill redo better pics for the complete manual).
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 03, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Please let me know how it works for you...
Old Feb 04, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Nov 2004
23 Posts
Thanks for posting your tail mod. What 1/4-20 washer/nut is that? And, where did you get it?
apples is offline Find More Posts by apples
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apples View Post
Thanks for posting your tail mod. What 1/4-20 washer/nut is that? And, where did you get it?
Hardware store. Inside the tail well I used a prop shaft adapter as a washer! I try to recycle everything!!!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:24 AM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Well done!

Good Job Lafayette!
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
Good Job Lafayette!
Thanks!
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:55 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
No comments, lots of views! too bad, later tailmodagator!!!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Very clean mod. I'm just starting with RC planes.
The one thing that I didn't like about the Bixler with the non-removable tail section.

You said that you used "prop shaft adapter as a washer" - I'm not sure where to get this.
north_20 is offline Find More Posts by north_20
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
Hardware store. Inside the tail well I used a prop shaft adapter as a washer! I try to recycle everything!!!
I spent a few hours looking for a plastic bolt and nut.

No one had anything like it.
What was the original purpose of the screw that you are using? Perhaps I can ask them for one of those.

Thanks
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I spent a few hours looking for a plastic bolt and nut.

No one had anything like it.
What was the original purpose of the screw that you are using? Perhaps I can ask them for one of those.

Thanks
I found these at LOWES. Go to the hardware section with the drawers. It is all in there.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
51 Posts
Nice mod, what about control hinge attachment?

Hi,

Building my first bixler. I really like this mod, as I have limited space to store and carry my bixler and like the idea of it fitting back in the original box.

One question though, did you do anything special to make the control rods easier to detach from the horizontal/vertical fin (or just use the screws and connects that came with the kit)?

BTW I couldn't find the size of parts you listed locally here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I found a 1/4in plastic screw and a metal blind nut at a Reno-depot. Hopefully that will work too. I'll write back about how that goes.

Cheers!

Eric
funx is offline Find More Posts by funx
Last edited by funx; Sep 22, 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Corrected question about making horizontal/vertical stabilizers easier to remove.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:03 AM
merin
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Jul 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
I found these at LOWES. Go to the hardware section with the drawers. It is all in there.
nice mods, can you pls tell how it has been doing !!
merin_83 is offline Find More Posts by merin_83