Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 04, 2010, 10:18 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Feb 2002
98 Posts
Discussion
Gluing 1mm/2mm depron.

Hello,

I picked up some depron to start building some small craft and I ordered some foam safe CA to go along with it, but I can't seem to get the CA to glue the depron together. Works well to glue my fingers together though. any suggestions on how to use this stuff? Or should I be using something else? Thanks,

Shawn
sreding is offline Find More Posts by sreding
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2010, 10:38 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
What are you using?
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Apr 04, 2010, 11:40 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
You probably need some kicker! CA will set pretty quickly if held in place but some times it needs a bit of help. Try using some accelerator (kicker) It comes in a spray bottle, give it a try. Also look at some of the tutorials posted here and you can see its uses. Look over in the scratchbuilding forum (foam) and check out GTR Scotty's simplicious build thread. His video will show some basic uses for ca glues and accelerator (kicker) this will be a great help to you. Build thread is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1077461
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Last edited by MUTCAKE; Apr 05, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2010, 11:46 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
Best thing about the videos is that he also explains when not to use kicker (it sometimes build up heat) and is not always best. I say this since it is sometimes better to see something being used than to just tell you. You may also try experimenting on you own to get the hang of using CA glues, there are several different types for different uses or situations. Or check out www.bsiadhesives.com they sell INSTA-SET 100% foam safe accelerator.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:08 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
+1000000 for BSI CA glues!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:05 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,249 Posts
Before you buy anything else just try damping the depron first before you apply the CA.

CA needs moisture to set and foams can be VERY dry. Just swiping the joint with a damp finger can make all the difference. That's also why you can get a lot of the effect of an expensive kicker with just a spray bottle with no more than water in it .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:11 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
slipstick, I'm not sure how important moisture is for a foam-safe CA. I do know the foam-safe CA requires a different kicker than the regular.

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:05 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,249 Posts
I'm certain that moisture is important (and very cheap). Well worth trying before you dismiss the idea.

I also know that Foam safe CA doesn't actually need a different kicker. I.e. standard accelerators work fine with it but some, not all, standard accelerators will themselves dissolve foam. At least that's true for all different brands of foam safe CA I've worked with...I suppose there might be some exceptions out there.

It's a complicated life sometimes .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:41 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
slipstick is right about the water! But I figured he would figure this out after reading these forums after a while. Kicker is very expensive and when mine is finished I was going to fill it with water anyway!
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:31 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
slipstick, I'm not sure how important moisture is for a foam-safe CA. I do know the foam-safe CA requires a different kicker than the regular.

Jim
There's a very recent thread on exactly this, moisture as kicker for CA.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=kicker

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:14 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
I'm building with 2mm foam (RC Foam).
The glue I use is "Titebond" wood glue.
I apply a very tiny line of glue with a toothpick.
Dries withing 30 minutes. Use blue painter's masking tape to hold things together.
Requires more time but there's no odor, no sticking fingers.
This is the fuselage of my 24" WS Piper J3 Cub
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:32 AM
Westbrook Maine
Joined Apr 2003
594 Posts
I never use ca for foam. There are some good glue threads out there, lately I have been using fabritac and occasionally rc56. Ca is great for some things but finding the line of working and melting the fom is too narrow for me.
fmhans is offline Find More Posts by fmhans
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:17 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
The best glue I've used with depron foam is Utimate RC Foam Glue from Yardbirdrc.com. It's light weight and it gives enough time to set cutout foam pieces in place, but yet it you don't have to wait overnight for the glue to harden, it sets ~20mins. It is way better than foam-safe CA glue and doesn't require a kicker.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:20 AM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Feb 2002
98 Posts
Thanks for the info. I tried using some water based contact cement after I posted and it seems to work pretty well and then just use CA on the ends where stress would be highest. I'll give some of the other glues a try as well.

Thanks again,

Shawn
sreding is offline Find More Posts by sreding