Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:18 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Thanks Stefano, will join up. May not have a lot ot contribute but will contribute where I can.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2013, 02:46 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Some post ago someone asked about the possibility to cut fuselage sections just importing the DXF of both sides. I suggest to take a look at devFoam Pro, it does exactly that.
The steps are:
1) you draw in devFoam Pro or import from DXF or DC1 the left and right sections
2) you create a shaped part selecting those sections, applying a thickness and (if requested) insert some control points. The control points force the synchronization of the final cut. You can check here the result using the supplied 3D viewer
3) you go to cut 1 or more created parts, selecting elements with the some thickness

In this way you can create shaped parts much more complex than using devFus Foam.
But of course drawing them and specifying the control points is up to you.
The application includes an 'almost smart' feature to create control points for you.
If the island number and order is right and the number of angled points for each couple of contours matches, probably the function will success.
As usualyy you can find devFoam Pro by http://www.devcad.com web site
durone is offline Find More Posts by durone
Old Apr 05, 2013, 05:36 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
I inserted here a 'may be useful' post about the right way to use control points for formers drawing in devFus:
http://devcad.forumfree.it/?t=65537293
Hope it helps
Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:37 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,083 Posts
Ahhh...

So it's the number/placement of control-points on a complex shape that can make the surface look rather jerky if not done properly...?

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:14 AM
Italy
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Ahhh...

So it's the number/placement of control-points on a complex shape that can make the surface look rather jerky if not done properly...?

BJ
Yes, and the key is the control point matching, as explained in that message
Old Apr 10, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,083 Posts
I'll have to revisit my DevFusFoam project then and try a few different things regarding contol-point number and placement.

I got a bit frustrated with the results so far, but if I can smooth the 3D form out a lot more by correct use of control-points, I'll be well pleased.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Mach3 full licence, so now I should be able to CNC my fuze sections without any more excuses

I'll see if I can post up some pics of the 3D shape as it is at the moment - look forward to suggestions on where/how to make it super-smooth

BJ
Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:05 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,517 Posts
Hi BJ,

Its good to see you moving on your project.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,083 Posts
Yah - it's been a while, mate.

Really looking forward to seeing DF-Foam and Mach3 working together...

BJ
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,083 Posts
Way-all...

Test Fire #1 using the full-blown Mach3 on the 4-axis CNC foam cutter - not so good.

Rickety piece of crap it turned out to be

I suddenly realise that *any* imperfection in the DevFusFoam 3D render will show up bigger'n a pineapple sized boil on a baby's bum.

Have a lot of rework to do here so that it's smooth-as on the render before I even attempt another cut.

Oh... joy!...

BJ
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:54 PM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj64 View Post
way-all...

I suddenly realise that *any* imperfection in the devfusfoam 3d render will show up bigger'n a pineapple sized boil on a baby's bum.

Bj
pmsl
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,083 Posts
...so...

To get rid of the 'jaggies', do I have to make sure that I have the same number of red and or blue control points when going from former to former?

I was reading that DevFus Foam interpolates between each set of control points - so I'm guessing that if I save, say, 5 control points on one former going to only 3 control points on the next former, it's going to do some funky math to try and smooth-out the difference between the 2 formers and give me a non-smooth/unexpected transition on my cutting surface/s?

I'd really like to suss this out, as I've spent a fair amount of $$$ on the 3D hot-wire, Mach3 etc.

As always, any advice will be much appreciated

BJ
Old Jun 04, 2013, 01:18 PM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
895 Posts
i found that if you just setup the formers on points of the fuz where it changes direction set them as control formers then add more formers as liner interpolation and it all stays smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
...so...

To get rid of the 'jaggies', do I have to make sure that I have the same number of red and or blue control points when going from former to former?

I was reading that DevFus Foam interpolates between each set of control points - so I'm guessing that if I save, say, 5 control points on one former going to only 3 control points on the next former, it's going to do some funky math to try and smooth-out the difference between the 2 formers and give me a non-smooth/unexpected transition on my cutting surface/s?

I'd really like to suss this out, as I've spent a fair amount of $$$ on the 3D hot-wire, Mach3 etc.

As always, any advice will be much appreciated

BJ
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Jun 04, 2013, 02:08 PM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
When I draw the cross section I try to keep the control points at a minimum. I start with deleting all the default control points that the program will let you. Then I use the remaining points to get the shape as close to the desired shape as possible. Often you can get it pretty close to the final result. Only then do I add extra control points. With less control points the shape will be much more smooth and cuts much nicer.

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Old Jun 05, 2013, 05:53 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,083 Posts
Kewl - thanks for the info

Trouble is, some of the formers have a lot of compound curves and direction changes etc going on, then the next one either side can be quite different again. I'm guessing that that's where the 'jaggies' come in.

I'm using the minimum amount of control points that I can to define the former outlines - maybe I should just make sure that I use the same number of control points on each former, whether I need it or not... ??

BJ
Old Mar 05, 2014, 04:22 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2003
201 Posts
A new web site devoted to foam cutting software is now available.
See http://www.foamcuttingsoftware.com