HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:28 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,326 Posts
When I heard the comment about the French, my first thought was "ISO-9000" - paperwork for the sake of giving paper pushers job security

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
That video is way cool. Watching it this morning and it's putting a big smile on my face!

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinfrance View Post
a couple of pictures and textes here,

http://www.ilfracombepeople.co.uk/Ja...ail/story.html

and here

http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/in...ys-toy-stories

I LOVE the french bit so f,,,, true,,,,,,

got it !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k41z_ujop4
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
Quote:
a couple of pictures and textes here,

http://www.ilfracombepeople.co.uk/Ja...ail/story.html

and here

http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/in...ys-toy-stories

I LOVE the french bit so f,,,, true,,,,,,

got it !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k41z_ujop4
Wow! Thank you very much, it put a smile on my face as well. Probably the best hour I have spent all week.

I think what he says from 4:45 to about 5:30 in the vid says it all for me and reminds me so much of my youth.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
I just caught all the movie too ,it also reminds me of when i was young chasing my balsa planes around the farm and crashing /fixing them again and again just so i could see them fly for a minute or so. After 50 years i still do it till this day and have never grown tired of it. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:49 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I just caught all the movie too ,it also reminds me of when i was young chasing my balsa planes around the farm and crashing /fixing them again and again just so i could see them fly for a minute or so. After 50 years i still do it till this day and have never grown tired of it. joe
A minute or so that would have been a world record for me in the 60's
3 months building for a 5 second flight,,,
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:29 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
i watched this to amazing, convinced my dad to put a little more buck into my hobby. TopGear and toystories FTW
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
i watched this to amazing, convinced my dad to put a little more buck into my hobby. TopGear and toystories FTW
Ha Ha good for you trainer ! My son see's over 60 planes hanging around the basment ,plus all the kits i have collected over 35 years and all he wanted for X-mas was a RC TANK . lol I hope one day he gets the flying bug like i did at his age but as long as he has a interest is building anything (even tanks) its ok with me and i will suport it. joe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Ha Ha good for you trainer ! My son see's over 60 planes hanging around the basment ,plus all the kits i have collected over 35 years and all he wanted for X-mas was a RC TANK . lol I hope one day he gets the flying bug like i did at his age but as long as he has a interest is building anything (even tanks) its ok with me and i will suport it. joe
Nice seaplane what is it ?, and does it fly ?,,,,,,
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:03 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Nice seaplane what is it ?, and does it fly ?,,,,,,
yeah im wondering too!
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
yeah im wondering too!
I think that's a Solent. At least in his profile he has a pic of it named !00 inch solent.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
I think that's a Solent. At least in his profile he has a pic of it named !00 inch solent.
Yes its a short solent from Ivans plans ,99 inch wing span with 480 size electrict motors. joe
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,334 Posts
I'm slowly reading this entire thread. I agree with many points both for/against ARFS. Never had one, but will deign to talk with the many locals who do (they think i'm crazy for even wanting to build).

But then,like a lot of you ,I've been modeling on an off my entire life. Started about age 5. I'm 63 as of last month. My Dad was a great inspiration because he always had a box of good wood working hand tools in the garage. As long as i put them back when I was finished(he called it respect) he didn't care. An actual Waco INF or whatever current project in the garage helped too. I modeled and learned about aircraft work, eventually learned to fly the family Piper J-5. However, flying was never the end all be all it was to my dad. I took a career in the building trades, but always considered myself a modeler, weather I was modeling or not. I was always thinking about airplanes and or models. Rather late in life, when all my firends bought motorcycles, I bought an aintique airplane and got back into aircraft work. ( they couldn't believe my cool 1938 Aeronca cost HALF as much as their $30,000.00 bikes!) Like I never left. I think it was the modeling experience. Plus the fact that aircraft woodwork often looks so precice, yet it is actually less demanding than good finish carpentry skills! And it is often harder to restore as originally built, as opposed to relatively easy " better than new" .

My current situation, due to my wife's failing health, required that we downsize and move. I sold the plane but miss the work. Recently got back into model building because my old boss knew a guy (me) who could build a large model for one of his customers. I t was deleivered in almost finished form this last Saturday. Needs some final detail work and cover. It was 50% scale Christen Eagle from a kit. I did enjoy the build enough to know that I'd like to do more.

I believe ARFS have driven up the pay scale for those that do custom building. Not to astrinomical highs, but have made it a more economically viable prospect.

Craftmen (Ok, there are some good female builders!) will always be appreciated as their skill set becomes less common. It's worked that way for me as low skilled workers flooded the building trades. I never became a contractor but simply hired out hourly from word of mouth. I demanded more and I got it. I'm convinced it was because of those no skill guys! Enabled me to buy my airplane. Now, I have to take care of my wife, with a few hours everyday to do something else. Would rather build flying machines of any size/scale than drive nails!

Feel kinda lost today with the project gone (which may explain my inordinate forum activity today!). Have to fix my vehicle, now that the garage is finally free of ten foot biplane. Thinkng seriously of a half scale 1930's glider. Span of just under 20 ft. Wing from lumberyard materials? Hmm....
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:37 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
Just go to teammini-max.com and build one you can fly:

The basic kits cost around $7k and a fully flying example should run $10k or so. Secondhand examples are worth around the same and by all accounts seem to fly nicely.

I'm an ultralight aircraft pilot, currently own a Gardan GY-201 Minicab:

As much as I love my RC models there simply has to be a 'proper' plane in my lineup or I'm not going to be happy. Its good to watch something you've built take to the skies, but its amazing to go up yourself.

Good to hear you like modelling, but seriously think about buying another plane - even building one yourself. I have to sell mine, too, but am seriously thinking about buying or making a single-seat ultralight.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
No nostalgia from me i started building models as i couldn't even imagine flying a 'real' plane, brought up in the 'sticks' in Great Britain, my brother worked as a 'Brickie' in the summer to pay for lessons and went on to become a Captain in Swiss air, no mean feat in those days (read his book,http://www.fast-print.net/bookshop/1...39-m-the-pilot )
but finally when i could afford it i did some flying and found it boring, so out to the model shop to buy a radio control, you know a box that would cost you 2 months wages, and give you 'dreams' of flying only to find it was the quickest way to turn your expensive 6 months dream project into a 1 hour hike in the muddy fields to retrieve a pile of indescribable wooden sticks 40 years on and still at it.
Last edited by paulinfrance; Jan 01, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:43 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,049 Posts
Between Homebuilt Projects

Wow, I have been toying with building a third homebuilt (Steens Skybolt and a Vans RV-4) after having sold both. I've been seriously looking at a Vans LSA compliant bird or the Thatcher CX-4 or -5 (single vs. dual.)

For some reason, I became comfortable with working in aluminum, bucking/driving rivets, etc.; hence the two choices listed above.

My wife would kill me if I started another "large" plane project. :-)

Thanks for sharing, guys, I thought I was the only crazy one who likes to build models and full-size.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Just go to teammini-max.com and build one you can fly:

The basic kits cost around $7k and a fully flying example should run $10k or so. Secondhand examples are worth around the same and by all accounts seem to fly nicely.

I'm an ultralight aircraft pilot, currently own a Gardan GY-201 Minicab:

As much as I love my RC models there simply has to be a 'proper' plane in my lineup or I'm not going to be happy. Its good to watch something you've built take to the skies, but its amazing to go up yourself.

Good to hear you like modelling, but seriously think about buying another plane - even building one yourself. I have to sell mine, too, but am seriously thinking about buying or making a single-seat ultralight.

Cheers - boingk
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Closed Thread