HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:34 PM
Joined Jan 2007
736 Posts
Cool
New Oscilloscope Toy!

I've been in this electronic stuff for 50 years now. One of the tools we use is an oscilloscope. Scopes I've used ranged from a Textronix all vacuum tube monster at work in the mid 1960's to using a number of different oscilloscopes at work.

Home use started off with a all vacuum tube Heathkit, and moved on to a pair of Tektronix 2213's, and a Tektronix 2236. Both were purchased through E-Bay, and were mfg in the mid 1980's. Right now, I've got three scopes. The second 2213 scope was purchased as is through E-Bay with the warning it didn't work. A few hours of trouble shooting the HV section showed that several of the high voltage grid bias resistors were open. It's working just fine now.

So, it's time to update to the current technology. After looking at the specifications, and reviews of the wide range of scopes out there, finally decided on an Owon DS7102V unit.

For me, this scope turned out to be a very good choice, and has a lot of capabilities. As an example, the Receiver drop out tests were conducted with this scope. That dropout test would not be possible on my Tektronix 2236 unit.

Tests conducted with the Owon Scope, and my home made pulse generator.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2351423
vollrathd is offline Find More Posts by vollrathd
Last edited by vollrathd; Feb 20, 2015 at 02:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2015, 04:53 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,212 Posts
I envy you on your new scope. I am still using my old dual trace CRT. I would be lost without a scope when I'm checking out electronics as you get so much more info by being able to see the waveforms and catch those millisecond dropouts or noise spikes you can never see with any other type of instrument. You tests shown above are very interesting, keep them coming.
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Feb 20, 2015, 05:38 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,762 Posts
Still using an old Tek 465 myself. Wish I had the funds for a new digital scope, they
can capture stuff that older scopes sometimes miss.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Feb 22, 2015, 04:22 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2014
163 Posts
I picked up a Rigol DS1102E a year or so ago. Even since then there's better scopes in the same price range now. It seems nowadays scopes improve so fast you buy one and there's something better for the same price a short time later. Anyway, I've been doing electronics stuff for a long time and moving from an analog scope to a DSO was such a huge improvement. Used to be the storage scopes were cost prohibitive for a hobbyist, not the case anymore.
CraigHB is offline Find More Posts by CraigHB