HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:06 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
congrats Rollmops!

I find the sliding on this heli is really hard to fight. I can do nice banked turns with my DH 9116 and V911's but with the F45 I have to be flying nearly windless to get nice banked turns through a figure 8. But that said, I love flying the F45. I would say at the moment it is my favourite. I fly the V911's way more often simply because they handle wind and limited spaces much more easily.

I found I had to turn the elevators and ailerons to 100% to get much out of it. The throttle was ok at about 80% but I pumped it up to 100% recently so I could try and fight the winds. So far I have not crashed it whereas I have crashed all my other helis countless times. I have had a few close calls...
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
congrats Rollmops!

I find the sliding on this heli is really hard to fight. I can do nice banked turns with my DH 9116 and V911's but with the F45 I have to be flying nearly windless to get nice banked turns through a figure 8. But that said, I love flying the F45. I would say at the moment it is my favourite. I fly the V911's way more often simply because they handle wind and limited spaces much more easily.

I found I had to turn the elevators and ailerons to 100% to get much out of it. The throttle was ok at about 80% but I pumped it up to 100% recently so I could try and fight the winds. So far I have not crashed it whereas I have crashed all my other helis countless times. I have had a few close calls...
Have you put your ail servo to the last hole and shimmed your main blades? These things make a significant difference. Other than that, practice . . . in a large area.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:16 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
Have you put your ail servo to the last hole and shimmed your main blades?
I have not as yet shimmed the main blades. I should really look that up soon to see how it works. I did put the aileron servo on the last hole. Definitely helped. Maybe the shimming will do the rest. I am still surprised at how soft the main blades are. The DH 9116 and V911 seem to have solid blades that can hold the weight of the aircraft anywhere along the blade. The F45 blades have a lot of flex which some say is what makes it so smooth and forgiving so I won't complain.

What I need is to find a field sheltered from the regular winds. They're not super-strong, just enough to make flying less fun. I haven't yet found such a field in the area so I guess it's 6am flights if I want calm winds...

Thanks for the suggestions!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:51 AM
Head in the clouds
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I have not as yet shimmed the main blades. I should really look that up soon to see how it works. I did put the aileron servo on the last hole. Definitely helped. Maybe the shimming will do the rest. I am still surprised at how soft the main blades are. The DH 9116 and V911 seem to have solid blades that can hold the weight of the aircraft anywhere along the blade. The F45 blades have a lot of flex which some say is what makes it so smooth and forgiving so I won't complain.

What I need is to find a field sheltered from the regular winds. They're not super-strong, just enough to make flying less fun. I haven't yet found such a field in the area so I guess it's 6am flights if I want calm winds...

Thanks for the suggestions!
regarding shimming the blades there are many ways to do it. Some use cutouts from plastic sheets, others have thin brass shims in their collection.
Me, I used the adhesive ring binder reinforcement rings found at most stationary supply shops, I stuck two together sticky sides together, to make a non sticky ring, tested it, found it still had a bit of movement, so added a 3rd ring and seems to be the right thickness. Tried 4, but the blades were unable to move freely.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pack-binder-.../dp/B004O8P266

Attached are a couple images of my shims.
slothy89 is online now Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
So I'd like to know exactly how stable this heli is compares to a similar size CX, but let me explain why;

I have a couple of modded 9958's I fly pretty well, a V200D01 that I am getting better at, a V939 quad on the way, NE combat twisters to play with when it is raining or with my non-flying friends, a 4G6S that I still struggle with and a large toy coaxial with circus lights that I really enjoy flying at dusk. It has proven to be practically indestructable, but I am getting tired of the blade strikes and the resulting damage when it falls from the sky. Without the blade strikes I just don't crash this one and that is the fun.

So I'd like to retire it and get something equally relaxing to fly that is really good at keeping itself upright and relatively cheap with good parts availability. Then I'll add lights to it and continue with my traditional last flight of the day...

Does the F45 fit that bill? I do love the way it looks!

Thanks,

Scott
Scott in NH is offline Find More Posts by Scott in NH
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:54 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH View Post
So I'd like to know exactly how stable this heli is compares to a similar size CX, but let me explain why;

I have a couple of modded 9958's I fly pretty well, a V200D01 that I am getting better at, a V939 quad on the way, NE combat twisters to play with when it is raining or with my non-flying friends, a 4G6S that I still struggle with and a large toy coaxial with circus lights that I really enjoy flying at dusk. It has proven to be practically indestructable, but I am getting tired of the blade strikes and the resulting damage when it falls from the sky. Without the blade strikes I just don't crash this one and that is the fun.

So I'd like to retire it and get something equally relaxing to fly that is really good at keeping itself upright and relatively cheap with good parts availability. Then I'll add lights to it and continue with my traditional last flight of the day...

Thanks,

Scott
If you fly in a large area, and I mean really large, then the Mjx F45 is for you It also has a front facing bright led that helps a lot with orientation at night but if you add somme red leds to the boom it will make a huge difference IMO for night flying.
markkona is online now Find More Posts by markkona
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
45 Posts
I'm about to order extra parts and need suggestions on what y'all have needed due to unplanned landings and/or wearout. Upgraded or substitute replacement ideas are also welcomed. Also, any suggestions on the best site to buy at? Much appreciated.
east_sider is offline Find More Posts by east_sider
Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:52 AM
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_sider View Post
I'm about to order extra parts and need suggestions on what y'all have needed due to unplanned landings and/or wearout. Upgraded or substitute replacement ideas are also welcomed. Also, any suggestions on the best site to buy at? Much appreciated.
You won't need extra parts but having a spare tail motor and main motor will not be a bad idea unless you are planning to upgrade to BL motor like some of us did on the main motor for more power! Banggood.com is the no. 1 website for the cheapest part but you will also find parts on Aliexpress.com I like to buy from Shantou MStoys as they always provide free shipping worldwide and very good communication as well every time I dealt with them. The tail motor alone is not worth buying IMO it's better to get the whole tail boom assembly....the first part to break due to hard landings is usually the canopy and the flybar will get bent but I've straightened it out quite a lot of times now and still going strong!! other than that just enjoy flying your F45
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
45 Posts
I like your positive attitude, Markkona! I think the full tail boom assembly and main motor are good calls. I already need a lot more, though, and I've only flown it twice!

The reason I'm ordering is because I've already crashed a dozen times. I've broken the tail blade and one main blade. The small clip hole at the bottom of the canopy is ripped (seems like they could have left a bit more plastic around it for strength). Both tail supports are bent (I've read they're not really needed anyway). The front of one landing skid is broken off (you'd think they'd sell just the metal skids since they're held on with screws, but I haven't found any). The tail fin is bent and almost touches the tail blade.

Worst damage was when the wind took it into the neighboring golf course and it 'landed' on the pristine (hard-ass) fairway.

So, this is just from my first two days of flying (2 - 8 mph wind). Still loving it, but I'm thinking ahead. What else commonly breaks? Am I the only one that flies this bad?
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:40 PM
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,732 Posts
Quote:
I like your positive attitude, Markkona! I think the full tail boom assembly and main motor are good calls. I already need a lot more, though, and I've only flown it twice!

The reason I'm ordering is because I've already crashed a dozen times. I've broken the tail blade and one main blade. The small clip hole at the bottom of the canopy is ripped (seems like they could have left a bit more plastic around it for strength). Both tail supports are bent (I've read they're not really needed anyway). The front of one landing skid is broken off (you'd think they'd sell just the metal skids since they're held on with screws, but I haven't found any). The tail fin is bent and almost touches the tail blade.

Worst damage was when the wind took it into the neighboring golf course and it 'landed' on the pristine (hard-ass) fairway.

So, this is just from my first two days of flying (2 - 8 mph wind). Still loving it, but I'm thinking ahead. What else commonly breaks? Am I the only one that flies this bad?
I've had about 5-6 bad crashes in 2months plus of ownership and I fly maybe 5 -9 flights per week depending on the weather(WIND) This heli even though a large and slightly heavy one still does not like strong winds so try to avoid flying in 3km/h plus winds if you can help it But I can assure you that in 2 months of regular flying I only changed things out on impulse not because I really needed them because all damages caused to heli by crashes were easily repaired that is all I've had is bent aluminium side plates, bent landing skids, ok I cracked one of the tail fins the horizontal one, cracked canopy and cracked plastic mainmotor holder but this has not affected the heli in any way once I re straightened those alum side plates again!! I swapped out the tail boom because after some crashes it would not stay true in it's plastic boom holder because the side holes in it were enlarged by the crashes so it had a bit of play which i didn't like!!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:26 PM
V911 F45 Super CP
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
If you're stocking up on parts, for $3.99 it wouldn't hurt to have an extra main shaft on hand. The guides on mine broke off so I've been out of action for 2 weeks waiting on a replacement from feala.com
Mitch332 is offline Find More Posts by Mitch332
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:50 PM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH View Post

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, I have a V200D01 (V911,Z101,9101.Sh8831 to). The F45 ( I own 2 of them) is a lot cheaper to buy, need no repair compare to the V200D01, can take crashes with the grass easily , not so with the Walkera, fly a lot better compare to the unpredictable, rocking, wobbling V200D01. The Walkera is a bit faster, smother and hover better. The F45 is a pleasure to fly, simple fun compare to the wet hands V200D01 flying. With the V911, the F45 in the only helicopter I bought twice.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
45 Posts
Mitch - so the guides broke but not the blades? Was it during flight or from a crash or ?
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:56 PM
V911 F45 Super CP
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Mitch - so the guides broke but not the blades? Was it during flight or from a crash or ?
During a crash. My guess is that I was a split second too late cutting the throttle and the torque caused the guides to break rather than the connecting rods.
Mitch332 is offline Find More Posts by Mitch332
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:32 PM
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,732 Posts
This heli is supposed to be equipped with a system to automatically switch off the main motor once the blades come in contact with something. However I am still not 100% certain what you are referring to exactly when you mention guides. Watch the gobelus YouTube clip on this heli and you'll see what I mean.