HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:26 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
Discussion
BVM Sabre

Well, the new jet factory is open for business . First new project is a very old BVM Sabre kit - plans dated 1994. The first panel got skinned tonight, plan is to have the other one skinned and maybe do all the control surfaces this weekend
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2008, 12:30 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
cool curious to see how yourt AUW comes out. I got one on the boards right now, was already started but the guy did an exellent job so should be ok.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:43 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
11.5 ounces per panel so far. Got both panels skinned along with the fin, added the LE's to both and did the aileron & tip one one today. Lot's of block planed flotsam and balsa dust
Old Mar 23, 2008, 03:24 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,608 Posts
You've got some irons in the fire now! Is that the F-86 fuse in the background? Looks like a two piece deal. You're gonna need a trailer to go flying for sure.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2008, 07:05 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,467 Posts
That's the same vintage as my BVM Sabre, but you are lagging behind me a bit, I'm ready to install equipment in mine, most of the actual construction is done. I'm waiting for a Stumax fan now, so I can adapt the intake and modify the fan mounting rails to fit, and then it's time to get servos and other stuff mounted.

Eddie, yes that's the fuse in the background, it's missing the fin which is a separate balsaplanked foam piece, the tailpipe is the black area to the right, it has a layer of carbon reinforcement in the rear end.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Mar 23, 2008, 01:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
17 Posts
Those Sabers allways look good in the air and on the ground.

Gene
rubbers is offline Find More Posts by rubbers
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:52 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
Lagging eh? I just started Wed.

I'm 95% complete on all the wood work. Both wings have their flaps and ailerons, still need to do the hinges on one panel. The rudder is shaped and hinged and the stabs have their LE's attached but need some shaping and then tips. That'll be it for woodwork, need to clean the shop - chips and dust all over the place <g>.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 04:46 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,467 Posts
Just kidding

You will probably catch up real soon, but anyways, here's a pic of what mine looks like now. What retract setup do you plan to use? I have BVM retracts and will use air to actuate it, I also have struts/brakes/wheels as I got the whole setup as a deal so I might as well use it despite a weight increase compared to wire legs.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:39 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
Same here, picked it up from a guy who bought every option years ago then put it on the shelf . I have the air kit but I think I'll probably use the servo's for the gear, very haooy with the way they work on the Electra. Not sure about the doors - you? I'm leaning to no doors...
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:44 AM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Nice Chris. It looks like your releasing all that pent up "build" energy that got stored up while you where moving.

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:24 PM
Col.Hooligan Air Force
Phoenix,Arizona
Joined Jul 2001
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris True
Same here, picked it up from a guy who bought every option years ago then put it on the shelf . I have the air kit but I think I'll probably use the servo's for the gear, very haooy with the way they work on the Electra. Not sure about the doors - you? I'm leaning to no doors...
Chris
How much weight do you think the Doors will add. IMO you have to go with the doors, Use air line restrictors and pneumatic switch to close inner doors, should not be too much weight
Semper Fi
Joe
uncljoe is offline Find More Posts by uncljoe
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:28 PM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,846 Posts
Excellent candidate for the Stu-max.....
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
Oh, not much weight, perhaps a 1/4 pound? Small air tank + servo, ailines, 3 rams, hinges and links. Maybe 6 at most. It's more a matter of simplicity and log term durability off grass. You know they are no longer an option on the new kits, removable wing panels make it more problematic I think. Well see, still thinking...
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:37 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,734 Posts
BV's Sabre just has the outer doors.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:45 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,554 Posts
Yep, that's what I meant if it wasn't clear. Those will go on in any case as they are a simple mechanical hookup.