SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2004, 08:09 PM
Dallas Meacham, Texas, United States
Joined Apr 2002
561 Posts
Great little A7-B

Hi all
I was at thunderbird field with with the A7-B group this morning. First to give a little info on the conditions wind very strong wind. It was 20mph and gusting up to 25.

To be honnest with you not the best time to do a maiden flight. But each and everyone of us steped up and took turns launching and hanging on. As Mike said it was fun to see all of the planes and piolts today.

This is an average of what was flying today all of these numbers are variable by the builder. But these are ball park figures not the desgine specs !
wing span 30" [can be adjusted by builder] shorter faster/longer floater
length 25"
Aieleron / elevator
Weight 12 to 16 oz RTF Depends on power / battries
Power Most had 6V 400 brushed 2 were using CDR brushless /CC controlers
Batteries were Lipoly and one 6V 400 with round cells

With the brushed 400 these were fast but the little GBX custom gobrushless.com motor was blistering . I flew on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle setting most on the flight.This is a single stator 9turn with a GSW 4.5x4 prop turning 22,000 rpm runing on Apogee 3S 830ma lipo pack.

Plenty of power .With a slight glitching problem on the GWS reciever I kept it slower and a short sortie .In the future this will be replaced with a Hitec electron 6 with better range.

I would like to give a big thank you to Doug C. for the chance to build and fly the kit. They are laser cut and come with a molded canopy, nose cone / intake and foam wing core. The plane you see in the photos are the betta kits. Alot of refinment has been made to an already quick/fun building kit !

Here is a photo and much more detail need to be added . Glad to say it looks the same after the maiden.

A great morning indeed . Johnathan
johnathan is offline Find More Posts by johnathan
Last edited by johnathan; Sep 07, 2004 at 08:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2004, 08:36 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
How short, was the shortest wing? I think I'd clip mine a good bit to get a little more scale looking!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Sep 07, 2004, 08:56 PM
Joined Apr 2002
561 Posts
Tram
I think most were built 30" but I bet with all the area you could go down several more inches. It was hard to tell but they slowed down real slow.Given the fact that they were in a 20 mph head wind . No tip stall what so ever.

Having seen a few other A7 kits out there this is one of the more realistic looking ones I have seen. This is based on the the Popfly wing desgined by ezone member Sparks . With the differance being this is solid core instead of having the cut out bays.

It was a simple build with great looks for fun scale / parkflyer. I have to give all the guy's credit they did a beautiful job on the details ! But you have to be humbled by Doug and Sparks building abillity .
Johnathan

P.S. The A-4 Skyhawk is a carved/ hotwired foam plane desgined by sparks also. The were both powered by mega 5T brushless motors. These belong to Sparks and Doug C.
Last edited by johnathan; Sep 07, 2004 at 09:01 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2004, 09:29 PM
Joined May 2004
106 Posts
Hi Mike,

Ahh..., the A7! One of my favourite jets. Thanks for all the nice pics. Hope to see some videos

One question, is it possible to use a ducted fan with this kit? Say, the GWS EDF-55?

Thanks!
traderghost is offline Find More Posts by traderghost
Old Sep 07, 2004, 09:44 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
It would not be very condusive to a ducted fan - once the prop is turning you don't see it anyway! I have long loved the A7 as well.

Tram the A4's are awesome as well - they both really haul!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2004, 10:06 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Yeh, I'd love to have both this and the A4.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 01:29 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
ANy video yet? Any kit prices?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:53 AM
Joined Apr 2002
561 Posts
Sorry no video yet

Tram
I don't know about the price. You can try to contact Dave at http://www.eam.net/ . Dave also shot video I don't really know him or I would ask for some to post.

I spoke to the kit desginer last night and he said that most of the video shot was very shakey from all of the wind that day. But I will relay your mesage. Johnathan

Also an update I just installed a hiteck supreem 6 reciver in my bird and will fly again this week end. I will give you an update after that. Johnathan
Last edited by johnathan; Sep 16, 2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 01:51 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,599 Posts
A-4

Tram,
The A-4 in the background is my design. I needed to make a few for illustrations in my book "Building With foam" ( available through www.parkflyerplastics.com or EAM)
There were only 4 made for finishing weight comparisons.
However EAM is currently working a model that is a little larger that this one. Keep an eye out for it's release.
Dave; Hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:47 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
What ever was the outcome of this kit? Was it ever offer for sale?

Tommy
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Apr 27, 2007, 04:25 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
How about a bump?

Jeff
Last edited by Tram; Feb 27, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:53 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Hey Mike-

You think it'd be possible to still het one of these?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:14 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Not sure I will see if Doug has any, but doubt it...
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
Sorry to drag up such an old thread but this looks to be the only thread out there on this plane. I went searching for info on this kit after stumbling onto it on the EAM website. It showed to have 4 in stock so I just ordered one. The first page of the site says he is "standing down" and selling everything off. I hope the website is up to date and I get the kit.

I've been trying to get my hands on one of the House of Balsa A-7 kits for a realistic price but no such luck. I think the EAM kit will do just fine for now.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
Model Maniac
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Jun 2004
156 Posts
One of the RC mags I think MAN sell the plans that are designed by Rich Uravitch it's very close to the HOB Kit.. I built one from the plans...
Ibinde is offline Find More Posts by Ibinde