HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:04 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
Tried to render this as a little proposal ... Just for fun .. perhaps one day I will make molds but not at the moment!
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpye View Post
Tried to render this as a little proposal ... Just for fun .. perhaps one day I will make molds but not at the moment!
OK, you have a good rendering, is there more under the surface?. Are you able to go in and say get a wing section at any point, or a fuselage cross section? Would you be able hypothetically to make plans that could be laser cut or cut from foam, or is that a completely different approach?
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:49 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
I've seen some very technical things done with blender like gears and an enitre ball bearing assembly based on actual dimensions, so I know it can be very precise.
Here is the very first Blender tutorial I did of a 608 bearing, it was written for an older version Blender and was a little difficult to follow but I made it through.
The author was himself an engineer so I thought that would help me and it did to an extent. The bearing is drawn to scale/shop drawings.
Here is the link to the tutorial and a quick pic of my bearing.
http://www.rab3d.com/tut_blender.php
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:29 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
@ Helmodels :

Of course it is possible to derieve any data needed from the skin model - to detail it and to setup laser or routing code with other CAM applications or - if you are good in SW programming you could do this in the embedded VBA clone engine.

So I'll show you a quick and dirty workflow. ( I'm not sure in which technique to build her ( Stryene monocoque with about 10 to 12 gram AUW or bigger Styrene wood or composite is also not clear, so please understand that I do not put too much effort in this ... just to show up the principle )

FIrst step place section planes inthe areas to get 2D data from

Second step intesect planes with model ( get yellow 2D shapes)

Third step arrange and create NC Code

Fourth step ( post detail and cut the parts)

Self Scripted Rhino Cam Module (2 min 56 sec)
Last edited by Harpye; Dec 23, 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:13 PM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
I utilize a very similar work flow; export an .stl file from Blender, import the .stl file into either a a 2D CAM program (Cut2D) or into 3D CAM program (MeshCAM), make up the toolpaths with the cutter of choice and output it to the machine for cutting.
As far as using Blender to extract sectional or cross-sectional information it should be possible but I am still learning how to utilize Blender efficiently.
Nice work Harpye
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:25 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
The disadvantage of STL is that it is a one way ticket! Comming from NURBS ( mathematical defined mesh) to STL ( discrete triangular mesh)
this is always an irreversible conversion ( downgrading)! ... Another thing is that triangular mesh can be critical when it comes to fittings ... dependent on the chosen bit and the " radius correction" ( if there would be a radius) this might cause issues in some cases... ( for modelling ( wood) I don't think that it will be critical ( wood is that elastic). And choosing the "triangle length of edge parameter" smaller than the physical step width of the machine would also exceed the PCs memory sometimes But GOOD LUCK! It is fun , it is free and that should be the main targets of this hobby!!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:20 PM
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
797 Posts
Agreed that .stl files are not a professional choice but since this is a home hobby I have not run into any issues yet.
If I do no need tighter precision I can use one of my CAD programs (Microstation, TurboCAD) to draw up want I need and then bring that into the CAM environment for toolpaths, which is what I have done with many other projects where I did need better control of curve paths.
I am still waiting for my MakiBox 3D printer where the .stl file will be alright as the resolution of the parts can only be printed to a certain resolution anyways, again this is a hobby grade machine.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:13 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,092 Posts
I know! and things like the MAKI BOX are the original reason why STL was invented!!

I'm going to do my own prototyper as soon as the current lathe is finished....

But since I dont like the structured appearance and the costs of the parts comming out of the makerbot it will be another working principle than FDM...

Lot cheaper on running costs, but not bound to the necessity to use support material to create bridges and overhangs!