PETER
re our PM conversation.
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
I ran across this website offering cast pewter deck fittings sets for Sterling kits including the 63'MY for $60

http://garysboatyard.com/Fittings__And__Hardware.html

I remember well hollowing out all those deck light fittings and installing GOW bulbs. Wow, there are a lot of stanchion fittings!
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
Cambridge, England
Joined May 2010
61 Posts
Dear 63' watchers,

One week since I promised to post my 'adventures' skinning and planking my completed hull frame, so here goes...

Firstly, here's my game plan. Even though I'm now a convert to near-total balsa construction (thanks to OBW), I still want to glass-fiber my hull before painting and fitting out. Consequently, I chose to use 1/8" thick sheets and planks instead of the 5/32" specified in Sterling's plans, given there will also be an added hard glass fiber outer shell. Another reason was that we don't seem to have 5/32" balsa sheet in the UK. One tiny side-benefit of this strategy is that it made it easier to bend the material to shape.

Making the side skins and fitting them was fairly straight forward but I was glad I spent so much time beforehand adjusting and packing out formers that were slightly out of line. I found using a length of flexible square section balsa strip a good way to check alignment at various different positions.

Then problem #1 came home to roost when cutting and fitting the bottom skins. It appears that the exact scale of the Sterling 63' is determined by the widest point on each of the bottom skins being no more than the usual maximum available balsa sheet width of 4". You may recall I inadvertently worked from copied plans that were 101% larger than the original so my bottom skins were not quite wide enough (1-2mm) in a couple of places, necessitating the glueing of thin strips of balsa to make up the difference, which could then be sanded down. Seemed to work, anyway.

So far so good, but now the messy bit - planking the front sections of the sides and bottom. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy plank on frame construction, but I always go through crises of confidence when the planks never seem to lie smoothly together when bent - even though each one was thoroughly wetted on the convex side, bent using a roller on the back and twisted for several minutes each. I even resorted to boiling water - nearly tried saute!

Then the bow blocks were attached as snugly as possible. Working out the angled shape of the upper ones was a real mind-bender! At this stage the hull looked its ugliest, but half close your eyes and you could see the shape was reasonably symmetrical, bar a few lumps and bumps.

And so the long job of sanding began. After being frustrated with the lack of 'bite' and durability afforded by regular sandpaper, I looked to see what else would work better and found 120-grit wet and dry paper much more satisfying. Even so, it still took several hours and lots of 'elbow grease' (do you say 'elbow grease' in the US?) before things started to smooth out. However, it's always very satisfying when hard work pays off and I was pleasantly surprised when I reached the point where I thought it was flat enough to start filling some of the more obvious little gaps with Bondo-like polyester filler, sanding a second time and painting with sanding sealer. Next I'll lightly sand again and apply a coat of white primer to reveal the inevitable crop of further cracks and blemishes requiring further filling.

That's all, folks, on the construction front for the moment, but now that my M.A.C.K. Products power package has finally arrived but delayed by Hurricane Sandy, I can start fitting the rudder stuffing boxes in the void behind H13 before fitting the transom, as advocated by OBW in his build log. The M.A.C.K. Products power package is very impressive and well worth the wait (and the cost getting it to the UK).

May not be another episode now until mid-December as I'm off to visit my daughter in South Africa at the end of next week. Maybe I'll Google if there are any model boat clubs in Johannesburg or Durban!
confused UK is offline Find More Posts by confused UK
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,195 Posts
Excellent work ~

The Inside of the boat shows clean work.

Looks BIG !
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:10 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Excellent work ~
Indeed!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Nothing prettier than a freshly sanded balsa wood CC hull from Sterling. Excellent work.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Looks good to me.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
PETER,you have shown your craftsmanship in these few pictures.No matter how (details etc.) you intend to build this model, we already know it will be a FINE example. Thank you for the pictures of your progress.
Oh yes,we use the term "elbow grease". (brought it over on "MAYFLOWER")
Finally,do enjoy your visit in Durban.
Terry
OBW
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
OK PETER,holiday is over,I trust you enjoyed the trip and returned safely.
Shouldn't we be checking in about now?
OBW
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:32 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Holidays are over? Where do you live? Ha! Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,195 Posts
Update !

UPDATE !
UPDATE !
UPDATE !

Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Holidays are over? Where do you live? Ha! Pete
On this side of the "pond" we usually refer to it as "vacation" many European folk say they are on "holiday".This should not be confused with the Holidays.
T
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:24 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
On this side of the "pond" we usually refer to it as "vacation" many European folk say they are on "holiday".This should not be confused with the Holidays.
T
When you guy's get our age, every day is a Holiday
P31 is offline Find More Posts by P31
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:36 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
UPDATE !
UPDATE !
UPDATE !

Really an outstanding start! Like Tim, I would love to see more.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:03 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Agassiz
Joined Apr 2009
769 Posts
I have just stumbled on this thread and in my humble opinion you're doing great, keep up the good work. It's good to see you, and a lot of other better model builders than me have the guts to build a boat out of balsa. I'm still to chicken to try, besides every time I try cutting the stuff it gets all "balled" up at the ends or "cracks or tears". I can whack and hack away at plywood for hours and it still keeps it's shape. Much more forgiving, thankfully.

I'm sure your 63 is going to be a winner.
Cheers, Barry
ClassicBoats is offline Find More Posts by ClassicBoats