HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:27 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Yup, please post more info and pics. I'd like to see firsthand experience with this tool.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:28 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,566 Posts
dang !

i bought one and it's still in the box

i liked the idea of a tiny drill press and table saw, but i have yet to put all the pieces together (and there's a sh**load of pieces...)
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:23 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qarlo View Post
Stay far,far away. I bought one and it's horrible. gonna return it soonest. In fact the only reason i signed up for this Board is to tell you to stay far far away. I will be happy to post detailed review if any one is interested. Dave
Please post the review.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:07 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
My experience with that type of thing, is that they usually incorporate the WORST features of all of what they are trying to make.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:37 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qarlo View Post
Stay far,far away. I bought one and it's horrible. gonna return it soonest. In fact the only reason i signed up for this Board is to tell you to stay far far away. I will be happy to post detailed review if any one is interested. Dave
Well.... this pretty much sums it all up in a nutshell, don't it? Then when you look at what vtdiy posted about the sizes it just puts the last shovel of dirt on the grave of this poor offering.

One final thought from my own time spent working with large, medium and small lathes and mills.

The ONLY small machine tools I would spend the money on are the offerings from Taig/Peatol, Sherline and Unimat.

I see that Unimat has gone belly up but their small "shoebox" size machines are still readily available used and it seems that folks are still making aftermarket parts and tooling for them. Taig and Sherline are still selling new and you'll likely find their stuff on the used market as well. All three are top drawer items if you really MUST have such a small machine due to space limitations.

There's been a few other micro lathes that might come up here and there. In particular the larger clock makers lathes. Clisby is one old vintage option that could find a worthwhile home in a model builder's shop. And there are some others that were more about the "clock" side than the "watchmaker's" side of the size spread.

But such machines are and were NOT made from plastics and suffer along with a single operating speed which is MUCH too slow for the small projects and tooling.

Basically when it comes to any sort of machine tooling intended to work with metal if the price seems too good to be true you had better bet that it is a piece o' junk. In the world of metal working or even working with harder plastics that is an iron clad truth.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:59 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
But such machines are and were NOT made from plastics and suffer along with a single operating speed which is MUCH too slow for the small projects and tooling.

Basically when it comes to any sort of machine tooling intended to work with metal if the price seems too good to be true you had better bet that it is a piece o' junk. In the world of metal working or even working with harder plastics that is an iron clad truth.
i want to work on wood (notably balsa) so i don't see these limitations as a no sale

the ability to have a small (tiny) table saw and a little drill press is fine when you consider that any powered plane rated over 3s doesn't get a space in my hangar

anything else it does (tiny sanding disc) is an okay bonus till i have the luxury of a workshop instead of the return on my office desk as the spare room for building
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:28 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,616 Posts
If you're making parts from balsa for smaller RC or free flight models I'd suggest that even a Dremel tool at the power source and setup some feautres to turn it into much of what the Hobby King machine shows would be better. For example a Dremel and router base screwed to a vertical plate that is attached to a small wood bed would be a great little wood lathe for turning spinners or super light wheels from balsa. And Dremel makes a drill press attachement as well.

If the info vtdiy posted about the saw table being only 3.5 inches square in size is right then I stand by my opinion that it's pretty much useless for any sort of hobby use. I'd rather use good quality hand tools than deal with the limitations of such a "toy".
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,169 Posts
I am tempted to buy it,but it's just another 100 dollars going to China
I have been laid off work since May. And while I have the money to buy stuff like this. Not having a job has really got me trying to boycott all the Chinese crap I can. It's really impossible,but that Taig will last several lifetimes,and is made in the USA. Yea it's overkill for balsa wood I have to admit. But the Hobbyking "jewel" is just a 100 dollar gamble. And if you aren't happy sending it back will be a huge,stressful pain.
Being laid off where I am really watching my pennies,it's amazing how much money I used to blow on CRAP without giving it much thought. If it broke not long after I bought it,I just wrote it off as "oh well,it didn't cost very much anyway". But if one pays attention,it's unbelievable how much all of those "oh wells" add up to.
Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:53 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Make something. Don't buy something.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:03 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Why do I keep thinking I have seen something made for a dremel that does this basically? I might be wrong though
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:16 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
If the info vtdiy posted about the saw table being only 3.5 inches square in size is right then I stand by my opinion that it's pretty much useless for any sort of hobby use. I'd rather use good quality hand tools than deal with the limitations of such a "toy".
i quite like the option of cutting formers and rib templates of a size that i'd be using for the planes i like to build, so each to his own really
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:34 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Well if you already have one and it works for you, then that's good!

Now if I had one already, I might some day take it all apart and use the plastic pieces as patterns, cast the parts in alumunum, or even Zamac. Assuming they have enough draft and thickness, and aren't undercut. Or replace a few of the critical parts with parts cast from wooden patterns, if they did have those problems. Often parts are honeycombed or hollow that don't need to be, if, unlike the manufacturer, you aren't concerned with materials cost. Just make a simple pattern and cast them solid.

If you go slow, you might be able to drill or machine some or all of those parts on the plastic thing itself, and re-build it. An interesting makeover job, and I'm sure you'd come up with improvements as you used it.

To me the most interesting thing about it would be replacing it with something it made of itself.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:20 AM
One Thirty Second
Western Australia
Joined Feb 2004
133 Posts
This unit is a copy of the Austrian made Unimat 1. It's probably not quite as good, but that doesn't mean it's junk either. For $100 this should be compared to a Dremel rather than a lathe/mill of any quality. It will do things that a Dremel never will, at the end of the day a Dremel is just a $100 motor and collect chuck. Sure you could by some of the Dremel accessories, but from what I've read they aren't that great and are very overpriced.

Here is an example of a modified Unimat 1 at work:

http://crapman.kilu.de/MAN/bilder%20...default-7.html
http://crapman.kilu.de/MAN/bilder%20man/default.html

Here is a bunch of links:

http://www.thecooltool.com/news.php?...tatus=20&id=14

The HK machine will accept all the Unimat upgrades which are pretty extensive. I don't see anything wrong with getting one for light-medium duty occasional machining, particularly the turning is quite good, and if you've ever tried to bore a hole in a piece of round stock (ie enlarging a pinion hole etc), it will just about pay for itself on the first use.
oldtamiyaphile is offline Find More Posts by oldtamiyaphile
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:40 PM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,566 Posts
having finally constructed the jigsaw table components, i confess that this is really meccano rather than a serious tool, but a fun project to put together (after some head scratching)

the base is insufficiently massive to remain stable, so requires an assistant to hold it while you cut, and it is a tedious process to push through 3mm spruce

i feel it will be great for thin or lite ply, and certainly for balsa, but i can't see i'll ever get a great return on my investment in using it

ah well, that'll teach me to impulse buy...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:05 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,029 Posts
Pour some Quickrete mortar mix in the base if there's a hollow place to do that.

Stiffen it up -- build your own tool out of it. Think of it as a start. Use it to make itself better. It's written in plastic, not written in stone!

btw, If it won't cut through 1/8" spruce, maybe invest in a better blade?
Last edited by vtdiy; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:19 PM.