HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2004
278 Posts
Like a faithful CC customer (thants all i ever have bought) i contacted the tech department of CC when i was planning a hoverfly hex project, i was told that release 4 was only weeks away which would work great for multi-rotors, so i plunked down cash for 6 CC phoenix 35's and now this. so here i sit with the only information i can get is to check this thread daily......wow.
imacav8r is offline Find More Posts by imacav8r
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacav8r View Post
Like a faithful CC customer (thants all i ever have bought) i contacted the tech department of CC when i was planning a hoverfly hex project, i was told that release 4 was only weeks away which would work great for multi-rotors, so i plunked down cash for 6 CC phoenix 35's and now this. so here i sit with the only information i can get is to check this thread daily......wow.
You can use the Airplane mode, Fixed-Endpoints throttle type, and set the Throttle response to max (Custom 10). They increased the input sampling for all the modes so that will get you up and flying until the get the multi-rotor firmware perfected.

Success depends somewhat on the type of controller but the Airplane mode works with my Hover Fly Pro controller.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:35 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
I was under impression the beta was already "ready"
Me too. They already released it with what sounds to be a simple bug or omission. Patrick said he would get back to us "ASAP"

I don't think most folks can keep their interest up in this product if RC man is correct that we will not hear anything for months.

just my 2 cents

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:46 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
RC man - not sure what you mean by that.

The firmware I installed based on your own feb 22-2012 post
"Castle Creations Multi Rotor Firmware is Out" suggests that they did release it.

When I updated the released firmware as others have done, it gives us the option to choose multirotor with the appropriate warnings suggesting the beta was intended to function. Patrick above acknowledges that there is something up with the release.

So you can understand our confusion with your last post. Are you speaking on behalf of Castle Creations ??

Like imacav8r, I also am a faithful Castle supporter and went ahead and bought 6 castle phoenix 25's for this purpose so would appreciate being updated beyond not to expect anything for months.

Sorry I do not at all mean to sound harsh - and I hope it does not come across that way. I just want to get an unambigious answer to set expectations correctly.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Mr Patric del Castillo, any news about the multirotor firm?
elossam is online now Find More Posts by elossam
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:03 AM
Ukraine, Kyiv city, Kyiv
Joined Feb 2007
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
You can use the Airplane mode, Fixed-Endpoints throttle type, and set the Throttle response to max (Custom 10). They increased the input sampling for all the modes so that will get you up and flying until the get the multi-rotor firmware perfected.

Success depends somewhat on the type of controller but the Airplane mode works with my Hover Fly Pro controller.

In my case it was not perfect. With throttle response 10 it works very similar to HK Plush family ESC with 400Hz PWM input rate and stock firmware. As you know we need 400Hz only to force input LPF filter and increase motor reaction and it works for most Chinese ESCs. In real life 200Hz with LPF filter disabled should be more than enough.
With reponse lower than 10 my hexa has very bad control. I found that with multirotor option enabled it flies similar to response 5 or so in aircraft mode. I think CC engineers could fix "beta" multirotor firmware bug
Cossacs is offline Find More Posts by Cossacs
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Greetings from Europe. Me and two my friends was searching for reliable ESC for our hexacopter , and after CC v4 com out, was already attitude lay 6x3x70 = $ 1,260 to CC. But it seems that the bug settled here for a long time, so that our money goes to China .
airbalet is offline Find More Posts by airbalet
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:03 AM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,125 Posts
airbalet send me an email, I am sourcing a ESC in volume now that will have good firmware and good quailty components. However I need to test it in my octo and quad before I put in a bulk order... I can keep you up to date if you email me at aap@telus.net

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:46 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
It's discouraging that there is no update on this issue

Al
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,125 Posts
I think the pain of 70$ per esc x 6 or in my case x 8 = 560$ for esc's is out of this world... so CC will never be an option for me.

Steve
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:45 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
I think the pain of 70$ per esc x 6 or in my case x 8 = 560$ for esc's is out of this world... so CC will never be an option for me.

Steve
Yes price is an issue. But their esc quality, computer software, and exchange policy and flat rate repair is favorable.

But if the Chinese 15$ escs work better, then all the above points are moot

Al
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:52 PM
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,125 Posts
how about this?

25 amp esc with 35 amp burst
loaded with multi rotor firmware that works
using quality n-fet parts

25$

Or would you rather spend three times that and if one dies you can email them with a sob story, pay to send it back to them and they will replace it...

meanwhile you could have had two spares on the bench waiting to get dropped in.

Steve
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick del Castillo View Post
Al -- We'll check on it ASAP. Something wrong in the release code.... --
And? did you check it ASAP you told? a wrong code? an omission in the firmware? any expected date for a new firm release? was the problem identified?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:27 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elossam View Post
And? did you check it ASAP you told? a wrong code? an omission in the firmware? any expected date for a new firm release? was the problem identified?
I am hoping they come through with a fix in a timely manner. Just an update on what they found or that they are working on this would be decent and highly appreciated. I sure hope that RCmans time line of don't expect to hear anything for a few months is not true. I don't think they realize how much of a pain it is to takeout ESCs out of a multirotor just to test it out only to have to go back to your original ESCs to make it flyable.

anyway if we don't hear by the weekend - I will swap the castles out for the cheap and flyable chinese escs with the simon firmware.

Al
Last edited by alros_100; Mar 23, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
So as allways the lack of information gives wings to each user to imagine what every one wants. A possible several months delay is quite unacceptable. That is the time a novice requires to make an ESC firm zero but not what is supposed to be required by a co. in the market for years. I donīt think CC will discover the wheel now in firm questions, just go at the same reponse level a cheapochinese is and add the value of a better hardware structure. Once itīs working at the same level they can spend as much time as they want looking for magic firm designs to go one steep ahead the chinese. Other way they are loosing the market confiance and giving time to the chinese to improve their harware which seems to be easier, just a money question.
At this time, me like others want only to have a way to give use to the money spent before which at the date is the worst inversion I did in this hobby because it was high and it was useless, bad combo.