HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2003, 08:40 PM
F5B, helis...too much
Fairfax, VA
Joined Mar 2002
370 Posts
Transmitter tray?

Been using only my radio to fly models for years. Am now considering using a tray. Looking for better ability to work the controls.

Anybody made the transition to a transmitter tray? What was it like?

If you know about trays, where can I buy one? Want an inexpensive one for my first tray.

thanks,
tufnik
tufnik is offline Find More Posts by tufnik
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2003, 12:22 AM
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Aug 2000
845 Posts
I just switched to a tray. It felt really wierd at first. I think I now have better control. It's harder to hand launch a model. At first I was using a normal neck strap and it was a real pain in the neck. I switched to a cross over strap and it is much more comfortable. I can't give you any advice on where to get a tray, since mine came with my transmitter.

Bobby
blfinche is offline Find More Posts by blfinche
Old Sep 01, 2003, 05:11 PM
Older but not wiser
Richland, MI, USA
Joined Jan 2001
305 Posts
I use them, have 3 TX's with trays. I made mine when I was still working in a mold shop. I have seen one made of long hardware store eye bolts and 1/4" plastic.
I did see a $15 one made of foam in a HS, it also had a place to put a drink can. I thought it was over priced.
I have sent for one that uses padded tubeing that goes over your shoulders, $76, hope it is worth it.

HRH
Hal Ray is offline Find More Posts by Hal Ray
Old Sep 01, 2003, 10:25 PM
Older but not wiser
Richland, MI, USA
Joined Jan 2001
305 Posts
For a tray almost like the ones I made try www.qualityrcproducts.com
Madison Components
1059 Valley Crest Drive
Birmingham, AL 35226
1-800-811-9135
$35 shipped ( $29.95 + $4.94 s&h )
Found it in Model Aviation Oct. 2003
I have not looked at their web site.

The TX tray I've sent for is at www.quality-products.us
It's $69.95 + $7.00 s&h
I have looked at this web site.

Hope this helps.

HRH
Old Sep 02, 2003, 09:26 PM
F5B, helis...too much
Fairfax, VA
Joined Mar 2002
370 Posts
Tray

Thanks, Hal

Now trying to decide whether to spend $30 or $70 for a tray. Since this is my trial attempt at using a tray, I may go the cheaper route. Is the tray with the palm rests a better tray?

Maybe I should build one. Any good plans out there?

thanks,
tufnik
tufnik is offline Find More Posts by tufnik
Old Sep 02, 2003, 09:59 PM
Older but not wiser
Richland, MI, USA
Joined Jan 2001
305 Posts
The ones I made don't have palm rests but I think they may help me so I'm going to try them. They could be added to the ones I made but sometimes the neck strap is hard to put on or take off which is why I'm changing to shoulder hooks.
Did you try doing a search, you may find better ideas on makeing one.

HRH

Did a search but did not find much HRH
Last edited by Hal Ray; Sep 03, 2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:37 PM
7021 Mary Ellen Ave. North Hollywood CA. 91605
Joined Mar 2003
10 Posts
Yes it's hard to find a tray that fits and does the job. I went out looking and found out that there just was a lot of poor stuff out there. I didn't want a neck strap. I didn't want a rig of straps to snap myself into. I wanted to get the rig on and off fast. I wanted the transmitter to stay on period but also wanted it to be able to be removed pronto. No tools please. No extra parts please. It had to fit all my transmitters without any adjustments to where I wanted my hands and the angle of the dangle of the transmitter. It had to me really top of the line well made. No breaky plastic, fiber board, or bendy stuff. So I made my own. Took no prisoners. Suffered no excuses.
See it doing what it does best at marktrent3d.com ,check out my website at www.rctraymanusa.com , look at the details on the instruction pdf there. Oh by the way it's all 100% made in the USA I'm a vet USAF. hope you like it. Jeff Sandler
RCTRAYMANUSA is offline Find More Posts by RCTRAYMANUSA
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:33 PM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
I use the Multiplex Spacebox trays for my EVO and my Profi 4000 with a cross-strap.

Ergonomically, the Spacebox is very difficult to beat.

I found that my control accuracy and relaxation during flying increased 10 fold. I still thumb fly occasionally, but the more that I do, the more that I miss the trays. For larger glider flights (hence, longer flight times), the trays really reduce fatigue.

Search the RADIOS thread. I did a mini-review of the EVO Spacebox.

Oh, by the way, they can be accessorized with a clear plexiglass shield to block wind and rain.

-joedy
Joedy is offline Find More Posts by Joedy