New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2015, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by Ruebs
Joined Aug 2015
4 Posts
Help!
Fired my Transmitter module with a High gain Antenna. =/

I've recently gotten into FPV, but was having problems with the range for my RC TX.
The DX4 that came stock with my Blade 350QX3 (RTF) only gave me about 1Km which really isn't much since I've tested my 5.8ghz FPV gear to well over 3km (in my car).

I saw a thread on here - How to modify Spektrum TX with a booster- I followed the steps, but since I'm still waiting on my booster I decided to just try a higher gain antenna (5dbi).
On my second flight with the new antenna I noticed a burning metallic smell coming from my DX4, and now it's completely useless, with a maximum range of about 20 meters... lol

Could anyone tell me off the bat, what I might have done wrong? I used all the appropriate connectors, cables ect and made sure all connections were tight. I can't work out where I f##ked up...

Your help would be hugely appreciated.
Cheers
Ruebs
Ruebs is offline Find More Posts by Ruebs
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2015, 03:14 AM
Find More Posts by aerocal
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
3,318 Posts
You went wrong by making modifications to a system you do not understand.
Do not use a booster. What you are doing is outside the scope of unlicensed use. It is also not legal for good reason. There are likely unintended consequences for yourself and others around you by doing this.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Aug 08, 2015, 03:45 AM
Find More Posts by Ruebs
Joined Aug 2015
4 Posts
Mate, I live in a VERY rural area of the Australian out back... To give you an example, my closest neighbor is 12.3Kms away as the crow flies... Trust me, I'm harming NO ONE.

I wish to use a longer range system to check on my live stock, fencing ect. I would use a UHF but my multirotor has an in-built 2.4ghz receiver.

I'm bored of all the self-righteous, brown nosing people associated with this hobby, with your copy and paste 'legality' reasoning.
I fly responsibly and I came here to simply ask for some advice. If you're not willing to help, please don't bother commenting.
If you feel the need to get your good Samaritan kicks, perhaps direct your scolding at people filming planes as they land on Youtube? Perhaps you could drive South and spew your crap at some gun wielding, drunk rednecks? You know, people that could actually do some damage.

Thanks for your ever-so considerate reply, but please refrain from doing so in the future.
Happy flying, and have a nice day =)
Ruebs is offline Find More Posts by Ruebs
Last edited by Ruebs; Aug 08, 2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2015, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by edwin1
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
3,305 Posts
Just a guess, but it might have been an impedance mis-match. Like sticking 2 ohm speakers on a 8 ohm amp. The driver circuit probably couldn't handle it.

Just a side note, it would have been helpful to know your usage before hand. I think it's a great use for a uav. I've seen shows about farmers using them for crop monitoring. Pretty cool stuff.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Aug 08, 2015, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
1,380 Posts
Might have saved some butt-pucker if you had your location listed in your header, or at least mentioned it in your first post. Here in the states, we are having a BIG problem with morons flying FPV in urban areas, making headlines almost daily in the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebs View Post
Mate, I live in a VERY rural area of the Australian out back... To give you an example, my closest neighbor is 12.3Kms away as the crow flies... Trust me, I'm harming NO ONE.

I wish to use a longer range system to check on my live stock, fencing ect. I would use a UHF but my multirotor has an in-built 2.4ghz receiver.

I'm bored of all the self-righteous, brown nosing people associated with this hobby, with your copy and paste 'legality' reasoning.
I fly responsibly and I came here to simply ask for some advice. If you're not willing to help, please don't bother commenting.
If you feel the need to get your good Samaritan kicks, perhaps direct your scolding at people filming planes as they land on Youtube? Perhaps you could drive South and spew your crap at some gun wielding, drunk rednecks? You know, people that could actually do some damage.

Thanks for your ever-so considerate reply, but please refrain from doing so in the future.
Happy flying, and have a nice day =)
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2015, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
8,730 Posts
Trying to "boost " and increase range is one of those things which seems straightforward --at first glance

One brand radio attempts this with the usual problems
You can increase range but essentially, ----the signal becomes narrower as range increases. you can easily loose the signal
the tx output is intended to provide a signal which works in a fairly large radius About the best you can do is use a rx setup which has no holes in it - (maximum diversity setup) Not a very scientific answer -but essentially -if you are using a RC tx /rx that's it - unless you are licensed to do your own radios.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Aug 08, 2015, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by srnet
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebs View Post
If you want free advice perhaps your replies to people who respond should be more polite, even if you dont agree with them it does not warrent an offensive response.

Aerocal was correct, boosters of the type you are planning to use are illegal just about everywhere in the World, and its entirely appropriate that this is pointed out.
srnet is online now Find More Posts by srnet
Last edited by srnet; Aug 08, 2015 at 04:53 PM.