New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by fogey50
United States, IA, Glenwood
Joined Jul 2013
239 Posts
Build Log
Lanier Mariner 40 Seaplane - glow to electric

Hello. A friend gave me a Lanier Mariner .40 ARF Seaplane NIB, as a trade, and it seems to be a perfect candidate to put together as an electric powered plane.
Makes sense to use an electric motor to eliminate the problem of engine stalls that happen with a glow engine. Not to mention the cleanliness of electric.
I converted a Global ARF .52 Decathlon to electric a while back and it worked out beautiful. Both are 62-63" wingspans and weigh in at about the same , so I figured the Mariner would work out fine using the same size motor and ESC.
The Decathlon, will ROG at 15-20', stunt flys, using a12x10 APC prop, pulls 850 Watts at 39 Amps. This with a 1350 Watt, 60 Amp motor, on 6 cell. 85 Amp ESC. Plenty of room to increase prop size. This set-up should be no problem to ROW for the Mariner. If need be , up the prop size.
I've got all the components to complete the build, on hand and still a little bit of winter left, so thought I would get started in the next day or two.
I'll start with the motor pod first as this is the only mod to plane.
I plan on getting the pod and motor, ESC set-up figured out and then assembling rest of the plane with the exception of elevator and rudder servos.
I intend on using the front stock hatch for battery access and will install the elevator and rudder servos last to get the CG correct, by moving them back, far enough for balance. The rudder servo is quite heavy and should position well with out moving too far back in the fuselage.
As always any input on the build would be much appreciated.

Components consist of........
SK3-5045-500kv motor.... 1350Watt.....60Amp
Blue Series 85Amp....... SBEC 5.5v/5a
3-standard 40 g. BB servos, water proof
1- HD standard 58 g. metal gear BB servo, waterproof (rudder)
FrSky.. X4R... 4-channel rx
Total cost of electronics.... $117

Pics of Decathlon set-up and a teaser of my old .074 Herr AquaStar
fogey50 is offline Find More Posts by fogey50
Last edited by fogey50; Feb 25, 2015 at 11:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2015, 04:04 PM
Joined Jul 2013
239 Posts
Some progress made on the motor pod.
1/8" hard balsa used to make a mount for ESC, backed by two strips of 1/16" ply. ESC held in place by a wire tie.
27" long battery leads that will run down the pod mast, to front hatch of fuselage.
Holes cut in firewall to allow air to exit motor compartment and enter the ESC section of pod. Air inlet, with scoop at top to also allow cool air to blow across ESC.
Three holes at bottom of rear motor pod to exit hot air.

Motor standoff will be made next, to be 2 7/8" long made out of layered aluminum tubes ( one inside the other ) and carbon fiber hollow rod on outer most around aluminum, all epoxied together. Will start on that tomorrow.

A couple of old internet pictures I also found of a finished Lanier Mariner flying, looks very cool!
Old Mar 02, 2015, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by DaveA
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
682 Posts
A friend of mine has one of the bigger Mariners, maybe 60-size or bigger, his is on a big glow engine. He flies it off grass as well as water--without wheels. It is amazingly aerobatic, he flies it about like a Pitts Special (tumbles, inverted spins, . . .). Several guys in our club have or had them. They appear to be built like tanks. A 6S power system sounds about right for yours.

My Neptune is a bit smaller than your Mariner, but has a very similar layout. It taught me to be careful of goosing the throttle down low. With the high thrust line of a pod-mounted motor, a sudden burst of high power will cause the nose to dip. It can turn a low fly-by or attempted go-around into a splash. Not a big deal, just different from most land planes. As long as you are smooth on the throttle and ready on the elevator, it is a non-issue.

- - Dave
DaveA is online now Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Mar 04, 2015, 02:10 PM
Joined Jul 2013
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
A friend of mine has one of the bigger Mariners, maybe 60-size or bigger, his is on a big glow engine. He flies it off grass as well as water--without wheels. It is amazingly aerobatic, he flies it about like a Pitts Special (tumbles, inverted spins, . . .). Several guys in our club have or had them. They appear to be built like tanks. A 6S power system sounds about right for yours.

My Neptune is a bit smaller than your Mariner, but has a very similar layout. It taught me to be careful of goosing the throttle down low. With the high thrust line of a pod-mounted motor, a sudden burst of high power will cause the nose to dip. It can turn a low fly-by or attempted go-around into a splash. Not a big deal, just different from most land planes. As long as you are smooth on the throttle and ready on the elevator, it is a non-issue.

- - Dave
Thanks for the info and advice. I'll keep that on my mind when I'm flying.
This seems like a pretty nice ARF, and am enjoying the build. I really like the electric systems, cleanliness and reliability, and have converted most of my glows over to electric. Been flying a lot of foam planes and jets, but still enjoy working with balsa.
I have a lake a mile or so down the road, so this should be a lot of fun.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 02:28 PM
Joined Jul 2013
239 Posts
Made a little more headway and finished the motor pod. Made my own motor standoffs out of 3 different diameters of aluminum tube, each slid inside each other to obtain a thicker wall tube with washers epoxied on each end. They ended up 2 1/2 " long in order to clear the front of the cowl. Cowl was notched back 1/2 " to fit against the motor pod mast.
Pictures show the motor standoffs and extra air intake at top of pod and exit holes on lower rear of pod. Side hatch was trimmed to fit flush with pod.
Next assembly will be with wings. I'm leaving fuselage till afterwards as I want to spray clearcoat on fuselage sides and bottom to seal monocote.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 06:05 PM
Joined Jul 2013
239 Posts
Making some progress on the build. Installed aileron servos and made control rods and adjusted to neutral position.
Wing floats have been installed and wing halves epoxied together.
Horizontal and vertical stabs have had Monocote removed in preparation for epoxing.
Hull lifters epoxied to hull step.
Next up will be a clear coat of paint sprayed on lower sides and bottom of fuselage, to seal hull.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 12:41 PM
Joined Jul 2013
239 Posts
Sealed the hull a few weeks ago and let set up. I used Rust o leum crystal clear plastic paint. Outdoor use and isn't suppose to yellow, fade and unaffected by UV light. Time will tell.
Installed the horizontal stab, elevator and vertical fin, filets, dorsal fin and rudder. I'll let dry overnight and then install the mast with motor pod and wing tomorrow.
After that I'll add the weight of a 5000mah 6-cell battery and figure position of battery tray and tape my elevator and rudder servos along rear portion of fuselage to get the CG right. When proper position is determined, I'll install servos and control rods. After that all that's left will be rx and program radio. At any rate, even working slowly, I'll have on the water this summer.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 12:43 PM
Joined Jul 2013
239 Posts
Quick shot of finished wing and float with servos installed.
Old Apr 08, 2015, 04:29 PM
Joined Jul 2013
239 Posts
Got a bit more done. Motor pod & mast installed and rx installed and programed the radio. Fit wing on and applied some silicon rubber to mast and leading edge area to seal small gaps. Used wax paper on wing area to keep rubber cement from sticking to wing.
Ordered 2 2450mah-6 cell-35c batteries. Decided not to use 5000mah as would have had to install under the wing to keep CG right. I prefer to use front hatch for battery compartment. I can always run them in parallel and distribute the weight, by shoving one of them further back, if I need more capacity.
Will wait for their delivery and then determine position of battery and rear servos to get CG right.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:53 AM
Joined Jul 2013
239 Posts
Received batteries, 2450mah-6 cells x 2.
Battery ends were different from xt-60, I usually use. Made a parallel connector and a charge adapter to charge batteries. I will run the 2 batteries in parallel to a combined capacity of 4900mah.
Batteries will need to be positioned under wing to get CG right. Due to the difficulty of removing wing each time to change batteries, I will use the front hatch and shove the batteries, each on one side of the mast in custom made battery boxes mounted under wing.