New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by gabe221
Tree hopper
United States, TN, Dresden
Joined Sep 2013
5,693 Posts
Great write up !! I was wondering how it went.
gabe221 is offline Find More Posts by gabe221
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Know what I mean?
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I finally had the maiden flight on my 30cc Ripslinger. It has a DLE30, opto-kill, XQ4020 servos, dual 3000mah LiFes feeding a power board and an 8oz Fourtitude tank (that's more than enough for a 10minute flight, which is all I like to fly at one time anyway).

I did have one of the aileron mounts come off the servo cover. So I fiberglassed both of them on with epoxy.

I have a lot of tail vibration at idle so used lots of blue locktite on the H stab bolts and then CA'd them.

It took 1.5 oz of lead on the firewall to get it balanced.

I setup the throw rates on a 3 position switch whith the book hi rates , lo rates and ~10% below the low rates and 40% expo all around. My middle rate (book lo rate) was selected for takeoff.

The takeoff roll was straight and the gradual climbout was graceful with no surprizes. The MXSR did need a couple clicks of right aileron trim and was flying hands off level in about 30 seconds.

I switched it to my lo rates (~10% < book lo rates) and it flew much better. The roll rate was still crazy fast and too much up elevator would cause a snap. Large loops were managable. Knife edges tended to pull to the belly,so I'll have to mix that out still.

The sky was a solid grey overcast day and everyone had been complaining about flying a shadow. During my flight I could hear the peanut gallery making one comment after the other on how well they could see this flourescent green plane. It was true, I had no problem seeing it either.

The landing had a very manageable sink rate that made a beautiful landing.

I ran out of time and had to call it quits for the day. I can't wait to work on my programming and take it up again. It won't take very many flights/radio tweeks and this thing will be flying on rails with minimum input work.

I'm very happy to have this one come together successfully. It's going to be a big hit at fly-ins and kids are going to love it.
I am lost was the sink rate bad on landing? My MXSR lands almost by itself. That is the only reason I am asking. Damn the plane looks great!

Cheers

Alex
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:41 PM
Find More Posts by jwellsy
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
I am lost was the sink rate bad on landing?
Not at all, you're right, it almost landed itself.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy