Oct 09, 2012, 08:59 PM
I like foam
This plane is incredible. Thank you for sharing your plans!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
Almost a Pilot
Very, very cool. What is it covered with? Did I miss that?
Oct 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Laser cutter computer is still down, so I can't do a live build yet. Here is my first crack at an assembly guide using the CAD parts. All parts are covered first, by adhering the skin (I use RA Microlite) to the foam with 3m77. All paint also happens before assembly. The skin is used as the hinge material for all control surfaces.

-A
Latest blog entry: Stol f-16
Oct 09, 2012, 10:57 PM
Just a bored guy
Great guide.
Oct 10, 2012, 06:43 AM
If I unblunk my eyeballs just right, I can see balsa ...

Jim R.
Oct 10, 2012, 08:11 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me
Great guide.
Thanks! I wanted to incorporate the skinning process, but it ended up being too much of a pain. For those interested in learning more about the process and materials selection, I highly recommend reading Gordon's Skeletonized Airframes thread, where I learned many of these techniques:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1362423

One thing to note on the fuse construction, I do not bond the forward, middle, and rear fuse sections together. I bond them all to the skin, and use the skin as a hinge to make the tapered forward and rear sections. After everything is set to shape, you can go back and wick a very small amount of thin foam safe into those joints to bond the foam sections of the fuselage together.

-A
Oct 11, 2012, 09:23 AM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Laser cutter's back up! Foam sets should go out Saturday.

-A
Oct 11, 2012, 11:09 AM
Time to clear off the bench!
Oct 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
What do I owe you Adam? Did the foam ship?
Oct 15, 2012, 06:23 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss
What do I owe you Adam? Did the foam ship?
Just put the first batch in the mail. You guys get them for free, just post some build pic in here.

-A
Oct 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
road wart
Adam,I had some laser cut by Brian and 2 that are big enough for 2s micro stuff...witha fleet....I'm brave
Oct 16, 2012, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID
Just put the first batch in the mail. You guys get them for free, just post some build pic in here.

-A
Cool thanks. Will do!
Oct 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
I like foam

cad question

What scale is the cad file? It appears to be drawn in millimeters but I'm not sure.
Oct 17, 2012, 07:03 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeythev
What scale is the cad file? It appears to be drawn in millimeters but I'm not sure.
I believe import should be in millimeters. The drawing should end up as a full 24x12 inch sheet.

-A
Oct 20, 2012, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID

-A
Foam came today Adam. Thanks a bunch.

Pete

Quick Reply