HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2008, 02:28 AM
Andrew
Paralowie, South Australia
Joined May 2008
1,382 Posts
Discussion
Radio holding for 3D flying?

Whats the best way to hold a transmitter when doing 3D aerobatics? I hold it the conventional thumbs on sticks but stick moving via thumbs is somewhat difficult. Or maybe I just need more practice.. So can I get an idea on how you guys hold your radios when flying. Pictures if available too..
Astrowall is offline Find More Posts by Astrowall
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2008, 07:48 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,163 Posts
If you do some searching on this you will find a lot of info along with a lot of opinions on the subject. Bottom line is what is comfortable for someone else may not be comfortable for you. If you have a simulator I suggest you keep switching around with all techniques and find what works best for you.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old May 31, 2008, 04:48 PM
Andrew
Paralowie, South Australia
Joined May 2008
1,382 Posts
Yeah I have been doing this but flying "normally" I like my thumbs on the sticks, but 3D flying I prefer holding the sticks on the sides, even though this feels unnatural to me, but I have better control over throttle movements.
Astrowall is offline Find More Posts by Astrowall
Old May 31, 2008, 05:03 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
I had a lot of trouble being able to find a comfortable "thumbs" position for 3D flying (where you frequently have to use all the movement in all directions) and was even contemplating a change to "fingers" with a neckstrap -- and then I bought a new transmitter.

My old Hitec E7 and Optic 6 transmitters were simply too big for effective "thumbs" 3D with my quite normal sized hands. Even with the adjustable-length sticks wound right down, they were simply too long.

But when I reviewed the iMax 9X I found that this cheap little transmitter was small enough to make "thumbs" 3D flying *much* easier.

With this transmitter I can easily move the sticks to all four corners of the gymbal without having to stretch -- it's improved my flying immensely.

I think that many transmitter makers haven't really caught up with the growth in 3D flying and still expect us to be making small corrections or flying circles with a warbird.

Go out and try some other transmitters -- you might be surprised how much better some are than others.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old May 31, 2008, 06:05 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,251 Posts
I found out that most sticks are too long for good thumb operation.
I cut my sticks extra short and screwed on HC's aluminium controller stick ends:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._Ends._(FUTABA)

Flying is much more convenient and precise now.
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez