HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:19 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
The front wheel steers the plane till the rudder has authority from sufficient air flow over its surface. You need to keep weight on the wheel & not lighten it till you have enough speed for rudder control. Same concept as keeping the tail down on a tail dragger.
the trouble with that is that the nose wheel digs into the grass and I get a nose over - that is how I broke the casing at the back of the motor. I am trying to lift the weight off the wheel until the plane starts to move then remove the up elevator and allow the natural lift from increased airspeed cause the plane to take off.
Quote:
If you have stock wheels you definatly need to move up in size for grass. IMHO nose gear steering sucks in grass.
Yes agreed - I replaced the wheels with some Dobro (spelling?) wheels I got from my LHS which doubles as a petrol station. They were the right size (2.5") but the hole was too large and allowed the wheels to wobble around the axle. I took them off and put the originals back on. I can't find a collet that will fit inside the wheel and over the axle. I checked out Hobby King and found the wheels that others on this thread have used but they are currently out of stock so I have them on back order.
[QUOTE=BEAR-AvHistory;14712813]
In addition to using right rudder once it has authority try moving your throttle up a little more slowly. This will reduce the left torque pull on the front wheel until the rudder is usable.[/quotte]
Yes I think you are correct. I am applying too power too rapidly causing the plane to pull to port because of engine torque.
Quote:
Key is a smooth transition from wheel steering to rudder control. Its a bit harder with an R/C plane because you don't have rudder pedals.
Yeah I found it much easier to fly in a real plane compared to a model You are correct - smooth technique is the way to go.

thanks for the comments and advice

CB
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:24 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy3440 View Post
Hey Crow Boy

Did you check the screw that holds the wire which the front wheel is attached to and make sure its tight,i had the same thing happen the other day,i fly off dirt road and have not had the apprentice up in a while so i took it out and it was wobbling a bit on takeoff,normally its straight as an arrow,so i came around and landed and looked and somehow the screw was not tight,put the screw driver to it then all was well,she rolled straight again

Ron
Yes this was a problem caused by a heavier than normal landing combined with changing over to bigger wheels. I stupidly managed to damage the thread in the very soft plastic of the steering gear without realising what had happened. The wheel was able to shift about 7degrees to each side. When I put the old wheels back on I filled the hole with 30min epoxy and replaced the screw - now I can't get the blasted thing out

CB
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:38 AM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Whoa that grass looks rough.

I had gotten some no-name 3" wheels from a LHS that fit the axle. Was still not great on grass but was a noticeable improvement.

What some of the guys with Dubro 3" wheels did was get some brass tubing stock to fit the wheel & axle. Can't remember the size, brain fart, but it was a standard item at the hobby shop.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:41 PM
RC Addict
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
250 Posts
Hey Bear ya might wanna try to convert to a tail dragger. I just converted my apprentice this weekend. See this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989719
rmsingh is offline Find More Posts by rmsingh
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
RDRC NC USA
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsingh View Post
Hey Bear ya might wanna try to convert to a tail dragger. I just converted my apprentice this weekend. See this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989719
The Apprentice is long gone & our club has a paved runway in addition to a couple of grass ones so it was not really a problem.

I hit the grass when I screwed up a landing approach while learing. The 3" wheels made the grass landings a non-event.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline Find More Posts by BEAR-AvHistory
Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; Mar 24, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:56 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
I have 3" Dubro wheel on the nose and 2 3/4" on the two rears. My wheels wobbled, and it was a problem with the nosewheel. When I'd turn the nosewheel, it would turn a little, then a LOT as the wheel tilted over.

Solution was aluminum tubing from LHS. Label reads K-5 Engineering, Chicago, IL Stock #3030. Alum tube 3/16 x .035 (4.76 mm x .889 mm).

The ID fits the Apprentice axle perfectly, barely loose. The OD fits the hole on the wheel almost. Tube is a little big. So, we beveled the tube edge so it wouldn't cut the plastic, and slowly forced it through the hole with a friend's drill press. I don't remember that we had to drill the hole larger, but we might have had to do that too.

Didn't bother with the rear wheels. They still wobble. But the plane steers MUCH better now; smooth and solid, doesn't veer.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:17 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
I have 3" Dubro wheel on the nose and 2 3/4" on the two rears. My wheels wobbled, and it was a problem with the nosewheel. When I'd turn the nosewheel, it would turn a little, then a LOT as the wheel tilted over.
exactly the same problem I had. Seemed that the wheel had a canter to it so it was not vertical. Turning the wheel would cause the plane to trip over it. Also it seems that the wheel is not in the middle of the plane but slightly to one side which is odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
Solution was aluminum tubing from LHS. Label reads K-5 Engineering, Chicago, IL Stock #3030. Alum tube 3/16 x .035 (4.76 mm x .889 mm).
Not sure of my chances of getting anything similar in my LHS - the R/C stuff is between the fishing gear and the picnic sets

Nearest "proper" R/C store is about 350km/150miles away, else I try to find something online and get it shipped to me from Hong Kong or similar.

I had hoped to get out to the field tomorrow but the rain looks like continuing so probably won't get the chance.

CB
Old Mar 30, 2010, 01:19 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Whoa that grass looks rough.
You should see the plane if the prop hits a cow pat on take off/landing

kinda like when the s*&t hits the fan

CB
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:20 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
I that flys at our field has 2 of these but he seems to favour his Supercub. I have a Supercub that I have put a 3542 1100kv motor in and aileron conversion. I really love flying it. It will slow right down to a crawl then shoot up like a rocket. Unfortunately it is more epoxy than foam and broke in half on the weekend. What I'd like to know is whether the Apprentice flies like a larger more powerful Supercub or whether I should just buy another supercub fuselage and start again? I love how the slow the Cub can fly and am wondering if the Apprentice is similar.

Multiplex is releasing the Funcub which is like a cross between these 2 but who knows when we might see that here.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Last edited by ozzi supercub; Mar 30, 2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:37 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
I that flys at our field has 2 of these but he seems to favour his Supercub. I have a Supercub that I have put a 3542 1100kv motor in and aileron conversion. I really love flying it. It will slow right down to a crawl then shoot up like a rocket. Unfortunately it is more epoxy than foam and broke in half on the weekend. What I'd like to know is whether the Apprentice flies like a larger more powerful Supercub or whether I should just buy another supercub fuselage and start again?

Multiplex is releasing the Funcub which is like a cross between these 2 but who knows when we might see that here.
Ozzi,

The Apprentice is a much bigger plane. It has plenty of power to pull it along, and handles very nicely. It will float nice and slow, but also does get along with full throttle. (I measured 95kmh with my GPS on board). It is also very easy to spot in the sky due to it's size, and also the larger size really draws some attention from the onlookers. It will loop, roll, fly inverted. I've even done rolling circles with mine. If you have room to fly it (any public cricket oval is great) then you will like it. The only thing I didn't like about mine was that it is not really a model of any particular plane, but rather is a sort of generic Cessna style. If you can live with that, I'd say grab one for sure.
Harrow is online now Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:47 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Hi Harrow. We fly at a HUGE reserve. We fly large foam jets and warbirds. The size isn't an issue. If it can fly past me very low and slow then just power away then I'm happy. I'd love a Cub or Beaver in the same size but no-one seems to make a foam one. I like the foam as its easier to repair than balsa.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Mar 30, 2010, 08:56 AM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
I that flys at our field has 2 of these but he seems to favour his Supercub. I have a Supercub that I have put a 3542 1100kv motor in and aileron conversion. I really love flying it. It will slow right down to a crawl then shoot up like a rocket. Unfortunately it is more epoxy than foam and broke in half on the weekend. What I'd like to know is whether the Apprentice flies like a larger more powerful Supercub or whether I should just buy another supercub fuselage and start again? I love how the slow the Cub can fly and am wondering if the Apprentice is similar.
I think the Apprentice is a great plane but I may be alone on this fan thread by saying that I think it is restricted in a number of ways. I am keeping mine pretty much stock apart from doing a couple of things to make it easier to handle on the ground. I won't be turning it into a tail dragger, adding flaps or putting in high power motors. I am simply using it as a good platform for learning and as a second step in my learning. I started out on the Electrafun and the Apprentice was my upgrade with aelerons and a set of wheels that teaches take offs and landings instead of hand launching.

Most of the people in my club have an electrafun and an Apprentice and they are viewed as a good trainer. If you are happy with the cub then I really can't see too many advantages of getting the Apprentice other than to get one that is a RTF and pick up a relatively cheap Spektrum transmitter in the same package.

I will be moving onto a different plane as my experience and ability grows. I have a E-flite PT-17 Stearman that I am itching to put together and fly but first I want to be sure of what I am doing on the Apprentice.

You may be better off to upgrade from the Cub to a different plane even if that means changing to a balsa plane. Either that or send me an email with an offer to buy my Apprentice at a good price

CB
Old Mar 30, 2010, 03:14 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow Boy View Post
Not sure of my chances of getting anything similar in my LHS - the R/C stuff is between the fishing gear and the picnic sets

Nearest "proper" R/C store is about 350km/150miles away, else I try to find something online and get it shipped to me from Hong Kong or similar.
If you want, PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple inches of this tube. I'm not using it. You'll only use less than half an inch (1 CM or so?) for the nosewheel.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 30, 2010, 05:04 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,305 Posts
Quote:
Hi Harrow. We fly at a HUGE reserve. We fly large foam jets and warbirds. The size isn't an issue. If it can fly past me very low and slow then just power away then I'm happy. I'd love a Cub or Beaver in the same size but no-one seems to make a foam one. I like the foam as its easier to repair than balsa.
Ozi, I should add that it is designed to be a trainer. While it is a very capable plane, depending on your level of experience you may eventually grow a little tired of its tame characteristics. Having said that, I know guys that fly theirs every week and love it. If you like easy relaxed flying, I would still recommend it, but if you are a "gung-ho, go-for-it" kind of pilot, then maybe one of the warbirds, such as a PZ Corsair or Mustang would suit you better?

I'd also suggest you try and build a profile 6mm depron F-22 or MIG-29. Easy and cheap to build, and an absolute blast to fly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757214
Harrow is online now Find More Posts by Harrow