HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:44 PM
United States, NY
Joined Dec 2013
82 Posts
Discussion
I just saved myself a few hundred bucks!!!

I received my flight sim earlier today and downloaded the software with a 450 heli simulator.

HOLY CRAP DO I SUCK!!!

I crashed, a lot! I mean expensive simulated little bits and pieces of simulated helicopter all over the simulated landscape!

Looks like we'll be having a snow day tomorrow, maybe I'll hook the laptop up to the flat screen and have a better view of what I'm breaking.
Mad Russian is offline Find More Posts by Mad Russian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2014, 02:52 AM
Belgium, Flanders, Lanaken
Joined Dec 2013
87 Posts
Seems you made the right decision practicing in a sim first.
Take your time, you'll get the hang of it eventually. Good luck and have fun!
JesseFDB is offline Find More Posts by JesseFDB
Old Jan 03, 2014, 03:29 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,105 Posts
Good luck then. I got into flight sims early on but only really progressed when I practiced on the v911 (later, the GeniusCP). Some people just do better being able to see the little movements of their helicopters.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Jan 03, 2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 06:06 AM
Belgium, Flanders, Lanaken
Joined Dec 2013
87 Posts
I agree. You'll probably be more careful with the real thing as well. Still it'll help if you know how to hover, have practiced orientation in different directions, and know some basic movements.
V911 is indeed a very good indoor beginners heli. Stable, cheap (parts too), and can take some abuse.
JesseFDB is offline Find More Posts by JesseFDB
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:20 AM
Great Quad & Good Cigar 😎
United States, CO, Calhan
Joined May 2013
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Russian View Post
I received my flight sim earlier today and downloaded the software with a 450 heli simulator.

HOLY CRAP DO I SUCK!!!

I crashed, a lot! I mean expensive simulated little bits and pieces of simulated helicopter all over the simulated landscape!

Looks like we'll be having a snow day tomorrow, maybe I'll hook the laptop up to the flat screen and have a better view of what I'm breaking.
Which SIM did you get? I have the Phoenix, if that's what you have read the thread on that sim, it works great, but when you fine tune the settings to reality, its amazing. Snow day tomorrow as well, lots of sim time for sure.
Old Man Zzzz is online now Find More Posts by Old Man Zzzz
Old Jan 03, 2014, 01:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,090 Posts
HI i second that the phoenix need to be set up just right , i crash on the sim but not when i have my 450 out side , i need to get setup right lol
holtneil is online now Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Jan 03, 2014, 03:45 PM
United States, NY
Joined Dec 2013
82 Posts
I downloaded Clearview SE with a 450 add on. What's Phoenix and how do I get it?
I have a cheap Dynam USB box, and learning all about "pot jitter" from that box while doing calibration. I wonder if they will ever make optical pots like computer mice?
Mad Russian is offline Find More Posts by Mad Russian
Last edited by Mad Russian; Jan 03, 2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2014, 04:20 PM
Great Quad & Good Cigar 😎
United States, CO, Calhan
Joined May 2013
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Russian View Post
I downloaded Clearview SE with a 450 add on. What's Phoenix and how do I get it?
I have a cheap Dynam USB box, and learning all about "pot jitter" from that box while doing calibration. I wonder if they will ever make optical pots like computer mice?
Phoenix is another high end SIM, Look on Ebay and you can usually find it either new or someone is giving up the ghost on flying.
Runs about $130, but make sure you have the disk and CABLE (Cable is software key).
You will see some with a transmitter (DX5e). Which the cable plugs into the back of it. Real Flight is another one, but most go with the Phoenix, as you can setup on SKYPE with Capt Jack, and take lessons and get help on the SIM with him real time.

If you choose to go down this path, I would recommend the software/with cable only, and then look for a DX6i instead, as it is more versatile, and gives you the channels and memory to hold more than one setting.. The DX5e, is only good for 1 plane/bird, at a time, and then you have to erase and setup for different models.

Phoenix has a free download to try it out, as well as Real Flight.....So check them out and make sure your computer can handle it.....Good Luck
Old Man Zzzz is online now Find More Posts by Old Man Zzzz