Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Beno
Australia, SA, Plympton
Joined Sep 2011
341 Posts
5s set up

I don't own a FMS mustang, but I'm looking to add it and the FW-190 to the hangar in the not to distant future. Interesting re: the 5S set up, and I intend to run both of these planes on 5s. A friend of mine had the petie 2nd and it was sluggish on 4s even with the prop mod.

I'm planning on skipping the quick tie mod and going with 5s right off the bat with the mustang similar to the below post on the v7 forum.

I tend to fly more scale with the occasional WOT pass, and I'm hoping with throttle management I can push 10 mins air time. It is a risk I'm willing to take, if it goes pear shaped then there is only on person to blame, so it's pretty simple for me.

I recall tom from motion recently posting a customer brought back 4 motors in a month all burnt out which motion replaced free of charge I believe. On the fourth motor the guy mentioned he'd been running 5s lol. I'm assuming he was going for some sort of air speed record with his mussy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...80510&page=392
CustomKid is online now Find More Posts by CustomKid
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,636 Posts
Tom mentioned replacing but I don't remember him saying for free. As I said mine had all the magnets come loose still on 4S and after only my third or fourth time taking it out flying. I thought as I was doing very little high speed and doing mostly touch and go's (that was why I bought it) I'd be safe with the zip tie mod. After the first time out I was unhappy with the speed and bumped the ESC to high timing. Still doing mostly low speed and touch and go's the motor couldn't handle it. Alpha offered me a new motor if I sent it back so he could look at it. I told him I'd ca'd the magnets back in place and he still said the offer was good. I sent it back and since they were out of stock it took until yesterday (5 weeks) to get a new one but I got a new replacement. Motion didn't have to do that and I'm thankful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomKid View Post
I don't own a FMS mustang, but I'm looking to add it and the FW-190 to the hangar in the not to distant future. Interesting re: the 5S set up, and I intend to run both of these planes on 5s. A friend of mine had the petie 2nd and it was sluggish on 4s even with the prop mod.

I'm planning on skipping the quick tie mod and going with 5s right off the bat with the mustang similar to the below post on the v7 forum.

I tend to fly more scale with the occasional WOT pass, and I'm hoping with throttle management I can push 10 mins air time. It is a risk I'm willing to take, if it goes pear shaped then there is only on person to blame, so it's pretty simple for me.

I recall tom from motion recently posting a customer brought back 4 motors in a month all burnt out which motion replaced free of charge I believe. On the fourth motor the guy mentioned he'd been running 5s lol. I'm assuming he was going for some sort of air speed record with his mussy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...80510&page=392
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I've seen planes that come stock with motors with similar specs to this one that run on 5s and even 6s. The ESCs are higher rated but they seem to survive the higher cell count. Some say the motor in this plane won't take 5s or 6s, even with a bigger ESC. The manual has an added sheet that clearly states we should not go 5s or more. Is this just the company covering its butt? Is it because of the prop or the weight and size of the plane causing too much load?
I'm about to install the 580kv motor and I've already done the zip tie mod to the prop. I also have a few high amp ESCs laying around. Is this a bad idea? Is something going to fry? I just feel that a plane that looks as exciting as this one, should have a lot more zip in the air. This bigger 1700mm version of these planes fly like sports cars compared to the 1450s.
I am not sure if it's this thread or the P-51B thread but it was discussed a few times....and yes you could go with a 5S lipo and an 80A esc......but remember the stock motor is only rated for 56 or so amps and you'll be pulling closer to 80.....so what will happen is the motor will run on 5S for a while until it heats up enough and throws a magnet....the question is not if it will work....but how long will it last.

On the old version P-51 prop...that just used screws to hold the blades to the spinner, there were prop failures with the increased rpms using a 5S lipo. Now the spinner/blades are better mounted, so there should not be a problem......but the weak link is the motor.

This P-51 does deserve more power and speed, I agree, but we need a motor that is cost effective and will handle 5S - 6S and 80+ amps.....and if one was found, can a prop adapter be made to use the stock prop/spinner.

What planes that come stock with motors with similar specs to this one that run on 5s and even 6s are you speaking of ????.
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongroad View Post
I would say for sure that the company is covering its behind with that statement.
We have ................................ they have their rear end covered and the local dealer as well.
Plain common and good business sense.
Hope you have some good flying weather for the weekend. Our forecast in my area is not so good.
Regards and respect
Daryl

PS, they are not saying do not modify, but use the right equipment to do so. They are saying, our equipment is not designed for that power. It also means that if you do modify and it goes wrong, we are no longer to be held responsible as you took it outside what we recommend for the model.
All very good points and confirms what I suspected. Weather here has been overcast and raining for almost a week. Haven't flown much of anything lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Any time you modify it then becomes your risk not the manufacturer. Even if they did not include the paper the fact that the instructions call for a 4S battery is enough to excuse FMS from damage caused by you putting in a 5S, 6, or even a 12S.

On my V8 I did the 1mm zip tie mod (what thickness did you use?) and then put the ESC on high timing and still on 4S. Every magnet came loose as the epoxy couldn't stand the heat. I wouldn't even think about going to 5S. Those other airplanes with "similar" specs may have different prop loads or different kV's that are appropriate for a higher cell count.
More very good points. I did the 1mm zip tie and have had 2 flights with it. It "seemed" to move a bit better but I feel it's still lacking. My 580 motor goes in today and I look forward to seeing how that works. I have taken very close note of your magnet situation and that is why I posted this topic up again.
As for those other motors with similar specs, you also confirm what I suspected regarding loads and different motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomKid View Post

I also fly as you do but man, do those WOT passes look spectacular!
I'm with you on the mod front. If anything goes wrong, it's my fault and I wouldn't ever consider crying back to the seller for compensation. That's unethical. Recently, I've been doing a lot of orders from Motion. They have been great with their products and service and I would never consider rewarding that kind of service with "returns" due to my own choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
I am not sure if it's this thread or the P-51B thread but it was discussed a few times....and yes you could go with a 5S lipo and an 80A esc......but remember the stock motor is only rated for 56 or so amps and you'll be pulling closer to 80.....so what will happen is the motor will run on 5S for a while until it heats up enough and throws a magnet....the question is not if it will work....but how long will it last.
This P-51 does deserve more power and speed, I agree, but we need a motor that is cost effective and will handle 5S - 6S and 80+ amps.....and if one was found, can a prop adapter be made to use the stock prop/spinner.

What planes that come stock with motors with similar specs to this one that run on 5s and even 6s are you speaking of ????.
Again, good points. If the new motor doesn't do it for me, I may search the RC vendor world for one that can more likely handle 6s. I'll use an ecalc to find out what the limits are.
I know about the problem with prop adapters. I also have a Durafly 1100 Mustang that I just converted from 3s to 4s by going with a 70amp ESC. A bigger motor just went in yesterday. With just the bigger ESC, the plane goes a LOT faster. I took the examples of the RocHobby planes where they have a "regular" version and a "high speed" version and noted the differences. I did the similar upgrade to my Durafly. Modifying the prop adapter was a pain and ended in misery. I just bought the RocHobby high speed motor and just went with it. Yet to be tested but I'm hoping for even better performance.
As for what planes that come stock that can run on 5s or 6s, I can give you this one as an example .........................
http://www.motionrc.com/fms-f3a-olym...specifications
The motor is not that far off what is in our P-51, yet it can go the bigger batteries. Again, I take due note that this plane is much lighter, has different prop, etc. and the comparison is skewed.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper