Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Aug 2006
153 Posts
Discussion
First fp heli to buy ?

So i have a mcx 2 by eflite and its a co axle fp heli i have gotten pretty good with it flying around the house now i wanna get a heli for outdoor and a single rotar one i was thinking the next best thing would be the blade 120 by eflite seeming how i really like the mcx 2 and i wanna stick with a spektrom heli as i have a dxi6 any advice would be greatly appreceated
insutama is offline Find More Posts by insutama
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:50 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
That's a very reasonable choice. It will teach you pretty much.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Aug 2006
153 Posts
any other helis comparable ? better ? should i go for a bigger heli ?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
27 Posts
Its an extremely tough bird and very popular so tons of advice on the boards. I just flew 4 packs thru mine in my kids school gym the first time(first inside large area) and I must be losing the tail motor or the rotor is slipping on shaft. I have heard tail motors are weak. Easy fix.

That said, I am so over mine. I haven't flown in months and just insanely ordered a 450 so I broke it out. The 45 flybar annoys the hell out of me and is always fighting me. Just running laps around the gym there is so much input trying to keep it where you want it because the flybar tries to pull you up coming out of fast turns if you don't really force the nose down by pushing hard on Both sticks momentarily. I have nothing else to compare too but I can't wait to have a heli that goes where I tell it, rather than having to trick it into where I want it. But it got me ready to think I'm ready for the next step. And it really takes a lickin. I'm just tired of it
Craddock is offline Find More Posts by Craddock
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Aug 2006
153 Posts
so if i went with this heli would the next step after i mastered it be a fullsized cp heli ?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Jan 2013
27 Posts
Thats pretty much not the general consensus.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2013
27 Posts
Most say a sim is your next step after fp. I have seen the mcpx a cheap as $60 in the classifieds and you already have the radio. Get both
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:44 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insutama View Post
so if i went with this heli would the next step after i mastered it be a fullsized cp heli ?
Go for MQX Quad. 4ch F/P to c/p is going to cost you. Sim will help. Plus MQX is nice bird. and fun to fly. Plus you also have choice of MSR/ MSR-X . Many get to rush into c/p and hey if that floats your boat. Savor the experience and fly a bunch of different helis/ Quads.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:20 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
+1 what dankar04 said. The MQx is hard to beat for training. The MCPx is a lot more durable than a large CP heli. There's no reason you couldn't try a large heli after an MQx, but why suffer the repair costs if you don't have to?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:00 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,376 Posts
^ ^ ^ Yowser. If I were starting today I'd go directly to quad. It's the way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Last edited by arbilab; Jan 31, 2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:49 PM
United States, PA, Schellsburg
Joined Jan 2013
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insutama View Post
So i have a mcx 2 by eflite and its a co axle fp heli i have gotten pretty good with it flying around the house now i wanna get a heli for outdoor and a single rotar one i was thinking the next best thing would be the blade 120 by eflite seeming how i really like the mcx 2 and i wanna stick with a spektrom heli as i have a dxi6 any advice would be greatly appreceated
hi, i am in the same boat that you are. bought a 120 after lots of advice in here and other forums. have not flown it much but when i have, its a really nice machine.( i use the rtf ver. i think the included tx. is ok but it will do better if you get a better tx. like the dx6i.

will take some pretty good abuse too. you will also notice that others in here will tell you to get a quad. after reading about these 'little spiders" i wish i would have bought one of these. you won`t be disappointed in the 120! i still cant wait for it to get nice outside because i need more room. ( be advised though, it can fly ok in a light,light breeze but no more than that. i tried it the other day outside. did pretty well until a stiff wind came through and took it away. it wasn`t up too high and i just cut the throttle and it dropped like a rock to the high grass. no worse for wear. checked it out back inside and still flew ok.
lx2008 is offline Find More Posts by lx2008
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:48 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,847 Posts
120 will not take a hit like MQX will. you will find that out real soon. Flying f/p heli out doors will teach you what good sails those blades can be. 120SR is a nice heli but MQX is a much better flyer and do ciecles around the 120 all day long.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:54 AM
Joined Aug 2006
153 Posts
hmm now you guys got me thinking should i get the 120 or th MQx haha what would be better for me learning more ?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:36 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
Some people don't like quads because they look tame and easy to fly and don't look like a heli. Some people don't learn a lot from them, because if you want to fly them like a coax, you can. But if you push yourself and fly them like you were flying a stunt plane, you will learn a lot. Their performance range far exceeds any FP heli. They respond faster than anything, have tremendous movement authority, aren't nearly as bothered by wind and can really move. Here's an example:
best toy ever (multicopter) (2 min 25 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
153 Posts
that was insaine i dont think you would be seeing preformance like that with the MQx