HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
301 Posts
Discussion
Gentle Lady pod and boom upgrade?

Since the Gentle Lady has been so popular for a long time does anybody make a readily available pod and boom type fuse as an upgrade to use with the wings?

Or would it be heresy?
overmyhead is offline Find More Posts by overmyhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:00 PM
Canada, AB, St. Albert
Joined Jan 2008
106 Posts
The pod and boom fuselage will not make the sailplane fly better. To fly better the Gentle Lady needs a better wing and then it would not be a Gentle Lady!
Skysailer is offline Find More Posts by Skysailer
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:24 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
"Upgrade" and "better" are very vague here. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. It's not going to be much faster without a different airfoil or gobs of weight. As a trainer, it's already quite good. If you want it to look different, a pod and boom will do that. Perhaps you can use one of the Art Hobby pods with one of their booms or an Allegro Light boom. Shouldn't be all that hard to do.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:56 AM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
301 Posts
Sorry should have clarified I already have a good wing but the fuse needs work and I thought that this may be easier for a "non-builder" to get back in the air and that with all the Lady's around just figured somebody would have made an updated aftermarket fuse by now like I see listed on the forums. After looking closer at the newer style carbon/kevlar pod/booms the designs are probably not compatible anyways and the Lady wing needs a wider mounting surface so I will just go to Plan B.

Appreciate the input.
overmyhead is offline Find More Posts by overmyhead
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,842 Posts
If you've still got the plans your best bet is to just build another fuse from them. If you're like me, and somebody gave you a wing that you had no idea what it was or any plans, you could do a pod and boom with some retired DLG parts. Does it fly better than the stock GL? Dunno, but it was fun and used up some of the junk I had laying around. I now have a stock GL and this, they both are a hoot on the right day, and have both been skyed out more than a few times from a javelin toss.
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:19 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,604 Posts
FWIW, If you don't have the GL plans they can be found online via Google.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:08 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,466 Posts
Building a new fuse would be my choice. Ways to keep the tail light are:
Choose the lightest would you can find.
Do pull pull for the rudder and use the MINIMUM wire in the elevator push rod.
Sand, sand and sand it's little arse some more.
Use glue sparingly when building the tail feathers. Sand a nice entry shape on the trailing edge peices and taper them well also.
Extend the nose 2", reinforce nose with Fiberglass as they always want nose weight so it might as well be structural.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:00 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
I built a V tail fuse for my GL. My fues was so poorly built and had gotten dmaaged AND I wanted an excuse to learn composites.

I use the lost foam method to make a pod. the boom was a tube purchased from ACS.

The Vtail I made followed the conversion listed in RCSD one year for making a v - tail. Do not recall the calculations nor the issue but if you look for tail volume coefficients and such, you are on the right track.

It came out heavier than stock but I also overbuilt it. It did fly pretty well and looked cool in the air. I also like the fact that with the V tial, I had less tendency to damage the epennage in the heavy weed/grass we have.

It is what you like.....

If I was to do it again, I would follow the apogee or whatever 2 meter Drela has over there for the fuse and just put my tail group (v-tail) or the original tail group on it. Probably would come out lighter too than what I made the first time.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Jan 22, 2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:59 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
Drela's two meter is called the Allegro Lite. The Apogee is the little one. You wouldn't want the same tail size. The Allegro Lite has less wing area and probably a shorter radius of gyration. So both the fin an stab for a GL would optimally be a bit larger and/or further back than for the AL.

It's probably not very hard to adapt some pod that's made for about the same wing chord, top mounted, to use with this wing. But I suspect it's even easier to make a plain old box fuse like the original. And the regular GL tail size and position must be about right because the handling is good.

I think unless it's dead calm, it's not necessary to worry too much about weight on a GL. I'm sure if it ends up at 30 ounces it will still fly well, maybe even better than at 25.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:54 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
ooops. my bad.

Mine came out 4 oz heavier and the extra speed helped on windier days but I wouldn't have built it that heavy intentionally. The tailgroup and boom are what weighed too much and I needed lots of lead to balance it. Bad design on my part but it was my first design ever and composite at that. I liked the feel of the sullivan pushrods being glued full length as compared to the floating wood pushrods in the original. they flexed too much for me. Maybe the guy who built mine did not use the original wood and remade them. Either way, the wood mine had flexed rather easy and using pushrods on my Vtail caused it to be more responsive and finer in control. I ams ure the increase in speed helped too .
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:29 AM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
545 Posts
lighter tails

One quick way to save tail weight is to use the Allegro lite style push rods.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...egrolite2m.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
ooops. my bad.

Mine came out 4 oz heavier and the extra speed helped on windier days but I wouldn't have built it that heavy intentionally. The tailgroup and boom are what weighed too much and I needed lots of lead to balance it. Bad design on my part but it was my first design ever and composite at that. I liked the feel of the sullivan pushrods being glued full length as compared to the floating wood pushrods in the original. they flexed too much for me. Maybe the guy who built mine did not use the original wood and remade them. Either way, the wood mine had flexed rather easy and using pushrods on my Vtail caused it to be more responsive and finer in control. I ams ure the increase in speed helped too .
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:43 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
I think if you make the pushrods as straight as possible and not out of punky wood, they're probably just fine as originally designed. Or you could use the punky stuff and run one little sliver of CF up each side of the pushrod. It also helps if you put a guide in the middle of the fuselage to prevent bowing.
RCG Plus Member