HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:03 PM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman View Post
George,

Will you please (finally) make us a modern ESC for F5b?
You know what we need, and have the ability to produce it.
My big mod CC180 allowed amazing progression.
You current visions would be spectacular.
?
Eric
Thanks for your confidence Eric, but it is not so simple. Making an ESC requires software, a hardware design, a PCB layout and a production facility. I can do the software and half the hardware design, but not the schematic capture, or the PCB layout or the production.
If you want to see an example of my PCB work see
http://www.f5b.co.uk/?q=node/135
So I just have to content myself with modifying existing hardware and writing F5B software for other designs.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:26 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,236 Posts
Steve - Why the 24Khz PWM rate on that setup? What motor are you running?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:39 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
1515/2.5D/6.7--the higher PWM rate improves the ramp smoothness close to full power a little.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:53 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,236 Posts
Is the extra heat generated off the esc at the higher rate worth worrying about?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:06 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Is the extra heat generated off the esc at the higher rate worth worrying about?
Temps on my 160HV on 10S don't get above 60C according to the ICE data log.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:47 AM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Guys some questions concerning settings for the ICE 160HV, just see my question behind the parameter.....

Brake Delay: No Delay* This is clear
Brake Ramp: Immediate (*)* This is clear
Motor Start Power: 59* What does this parameter influence?
Direction: Forward (*)* This is clear
Brake Strength: 100* Gerben wrote that his setting might be damaging the prop??? Better 90 or 95?
Current Limiting: Disabled* This is clear
BEC Voltage: 5* This is clear
Power-On Beep: Enabled (*)* This is clear
Motor Timing: 0* Is this the right timing for a Leomotion 4031-2050, this equals the NEU 1512 2,5d?
Data Log Enabled: 255
Vehicle Type: Airplane
Throttle Type: Fixed-Endpoints* What does this mean? Do I have to learn the esc, or is the range then in typical -100% to +100% range?
Throttle Response: 10
Cutoff Voltage: (set to lowest)
Auto-Lipo Volts/Cell: 3.2 Volts/Cell (*)
PWM Rate: 24 Khz
Sample Frequency: 10 Sample / Sec (*)
Voltage Cutoff Type: Soft Cutoff (*)
Current Cutoff Type: Soft Cutoff (*)
Link Live Enable: Disabled (*)[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for help!
Matze_Koelle is offline Find More Posts by Matze_Koelle
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:42 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,117 Posts
Matze,

I would not use anything else then 100% brake strength as it effects the final strength of the brake and you want 100% to make the prop close. However you may want a small ramp to reach this 100%. This is the brake ramp and this you should set a couple setting below max and then work up to max only if you need it and it's worth the risk of breaking stuff. To compare, on the open source firmware we use on the controller I now sell I tested various brake ramps. You will find some more info on my blog regarding this.

Start power is how much power is used to start the motor rotating. Then the response speed kicks in to follow the throttle signal. I only use 9% to 19% to minimise a fire at startup and smooth things out.

Timing I can not tell you what is best. I use minimum on Neu motors and I thought the Leo's are very similar in design (4 poles).

We all use fixed end points and reduce the throws on the TX so the ramp on the TX matches the ESC. About 70% throw each way on a Futaba TX. You can set the failsafe to 100% throttle off so you can record on the Unilog if the RX is going into failsafe during any part of the flight. Again, see my blog for a section on ramps.

Coming back to response speed. The CC HV controllers are slightly slower then the LV controllers. So you can probably get away with a bit higher number here. However, this is THE most dangerous number on the whole list. Even Sergey props have been known to break if using response speed 10 on an LV controller. Not making things up.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze_Koelle View Post
Guys some questions concerning settings for the ICE 160HV, just see my question behind the parameter.....

Brake Delay: No Delay* This is clear
Brake Ramp: Immediate (*)* This is clear
Motor Start Power: 59* What does this parameter influence?
Direction: Forward (*)* This is clear
Brake Strength: 100* Gerben wrote that his setting might be damaging the prop??? Better 90 or 95?
Current Limiting: Disabled* This is clear
BEC Voltage: 5* This is clear
Power-On Beep: Enabled (*)* This is clear
Motor Timing: 0* Is this the right timing for a Leomotion 4031-2050, this equals the NEU 1512 2,5d?
Data Log Enabled: 255
Vehicle Type: Airplane
Throttle Type: Fixed-Endpoints* What does this mean? Do I have to learn the esc, or is the range then in typical -100% to +100% range?
Throttle Response: 10
Cutoff Voltage: (set to lowest)
Auto-Lipo Volts/Cell: 3.2 Volts/Cell (*)
PWM Rate: 24 Khz
Sample Frequency: 10 Sample / Sec (*)
Voltage Cutoff Type: Soft Cutoff (*)
Current Cutoff Type: Soft Cutoff (*)
Link Live Enable: Disabled (*)

Thanks a lot for help![/QUOTE]
jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:03 AM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Thanks Joe!

For throttle response....whats a reasonable value to start with?

I will fly sergeys and gm on this setup and I am not really interested in breaking those....
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze_Koelle View Post
Thanks Joe!

For throttle response....whats a reasonable value to start with?

I will fly sergeys and gm on this setup and I am not really interested in breaking those....
Matze, I use 8 with ramps on the TX and LV controllers. Without ramps I would use 6, this is what i always recommended to people. With the HV ICE probably 7 would be good.

Brake ramp, I use "fast".

jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Of course I have also progged a ramp...so Ill start with 8....lets see what it is doing and how good the esc follows the tx signal.

Brake ramp Ill try.....props are too expensive just to kill them with non smart settings...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
750 Posts
I had trouble keeping my props on the model at 100% brake strength (never did with 6S, this started when switching to 10S). Reduced both the brake ramp and the max brake strength a bit and now they seem to stay on. I use fairly big (and heavy) Sergey's though.
On my Neu 1515 motor and Pils prop with full brake and Pils prop it was very apparent how hard the brake was, almost painfull to hear the prop slam shut, even got some comments from fellow pilots during training. That's reduced a bit too now, it was just too hard to my liking. Max brake may work for some, just not for me...

Fixed endpoints: with the ICE HV I could reduce throttle throw in the transmitter on the 'off' side to about 62% and it would still arm reliably. (On the LV 125/180 it was about 82% for reference). Full throttle at about 83% throw if I recall correcly.

Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:21 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris View Post
Matze,

We all use fixed end points and reduce the throws on the TX so the ramp on the TX matches the ESC. About 70% throw each way on a Futaba TX.
Joe

Thanks a lot for help!
[/QUOTE]

Joe Can you expand on that bit to a dumb, financial analyst such as myself. I've been using 100% end points and would like to improve.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
would be great to know the signal details....easy to control with unilog in live view.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:52 PM
Winterthur, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
126 Posts
Very interesting stuff, I am following with interest. In fact, I can hardly wait for the first flight with what I soldered up tonight. Unfortunately the Leo doesn't fit in the B06 fuse. Needs a nose job

Greets, andy
Dotcom is offline Find More Posts by Dotcom
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
also was quite tight to bring it into the RW4B fuse with 32mm nose...but now it is in...