HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Joined Jul 2014
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100MPG View Post
I second that. The video quality is amazing
I can't wait to experiment with it. Mounting options are next on the list. Got one of these which are really for the Bixler 1, but glued and trimmed it to fit the Bix 2

Name: IMG_0152.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 783.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 372.1 KB
Description:

I also want to try to mount it at the end of the nose pointing down so i can get mostly ground shots. For the wood platform maybe a 3 or 4 inch threaded rod to raise the camera up a bit. I foresee lots of trial and error
jhan1 is offline Find More Posts by jhan1
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
says hello from Norway
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Mar 2013
314 Posts
Hi all

New guy with a Bixler 2 needs to know how to get the stock motor and mount out of the pod. It is a RTF with a dead motor so I thought I would get a bigger one and a new mount to get it running.
Been through much of the tread but there is just so much great info in here I can have missed it....
This will be my first try on a plane as I am a multirotor guy.
Thanks
helinor is online now Find More Posts by helinor
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Joined Jul 2014
22 Posts
My first plane also Helinor, First i unscrewed the motor from the backside and got that out of the way. Then I poked around the outside of the plastic mount at equal intervals with a very thin ice pick like probe. Any thin pointy metal rod will work. I then worked it carefully out with some needle nose pliers. The glue will begin to break and the mount can be twisted out. Mine came out in a few pieces. Just go slow and try not to break away any foam, as little as possible anyways.
jhan1 is offline Find More Posts by jhan1
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinor View Post
Hi all

New guy with a Bixler 2 needs to know how to get the stock motor and mount out of the pod. It is a RTF with a dead motor so I thought I would get a bigger one and a new mount to get it running.
Been through much of the tread but there is just so much great info in here I can have missed it....
Thanks
If you can do it like jhan1 mentioned great but this is how I did mine and is as strong as new. Even with cutting the foam off it too quite a bit of wriggling to remove the motor.

Get one of those metal engine mounts and you can change a motor in a few minutes after it is installed.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Today at 02:24 AM.
Old Today, 01:38 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Jul 2014
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helinor View Post
Hi all

Thanks
I recently took mine out and it seems from reading on here, the mounts seem to vary as to how well fixed in they are. I simply grabbed mine with the motor on and twisted and wiggled until it broke free, it literally took about 15 seconds to come out.
jjoshj is online now Find More Posts by jjoshj
Old Today, 03:22 AM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jan 2012
84 Posts
Two-Six
I just used a sharp tool and cut/poked along the glue seam and then pulled and worked the rudder fin until it came free. Had to do a bit of cleanup, but not too bad.
jgroetsema is online now Find More Posts by jgroetsema
Old Today, 03:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
84 Posts
I really like your placement of the voltage alarm. Your paint scheme looks good too.

Good job and ideas.
Old Today, 03:47 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,412 Posts
Maiden flight on my Bixler today

Running NTM 2836 1400 with HQ 8x5 prop on 4400 3s

Seems gutless coming into the wind, glides nice down wind though

Easy to launch. flies nice and flat and cruising around, 4-6A

Max amp draw, only 20A

Struggles coming into the wind though, very slow, was around a 15km head wind

Hit 98km down wind which was impressive

Would a 9" prop help at all?

Or should I change the motor and prop combo?
planex is online now Find More Posts by planex
Old Today, 05:05 AM
Joined Jan 2012
84 Posts
Planex

I have the NTM 2826 1400 with an 8x5 and it runs quite well with a 2200 3s. Wind is not usually a problem with mine. Maybe the added weight of the 4400 battery?
Old Today, 05:35 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,412 Posts
Could be the added weight, using Zippy Compacts which are reasonably light

When going into the wind, feels like it needs too much throttle to push through

I guess a bigger prop will help. Will try a 9x5 or 9x4.5 to keep the amps down a little

So easy to hand launch and land as well, feels smooth in the air and easy to control

Could only squeeze 20 minutes out of it, put 4000 mah back in

Want to get around 40 minutes
planex is online now Find More Posts by planex