HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:41 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Build Log
Sea vixen.

One of my favourite early jet fighters the Sea vixen, has been on my build list for a long time but with the lack of sectional drawings, placed on the wish list instead. Earlier this year whilst searching the Net i came across PN Designs along with a build thread on RC group by Philip Noel:

http://www.philipnoel.co.uk/
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=sea+vixen

After contacting Philip from PN Designs purchase was made of the plans and within a few days they arrived on my door step. These are some great plans with loads of detail relating to construction. As i am unable to work with large volumes of balsa, sanding gives me chronic problems, building would have to be with depron. Trawling through the various builds in RCgroup, i've hopefully now selected the techniques i will use as i progress, this could change as i encounter problems.

So, for my first installment a few pictures of where i'm at. Nothing has been glued together yet allowing for modification as and when/where needed.
domll is offline Find More Posts by domll
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:34 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
awesome subject. subbed.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:01 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
awesome subject. subbed.

Rich
Yes indeed Rich! Domll you chose a real classic!

just don't forget those Red-top missiles lol
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:04 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Havn't forgot missiles or the fuel tanks, few pics attached.

Also here's a schematic of the structure i intend to follow, formers will be faced with 1/32" ply including outer ribs. Running from F3 will be 1/16" ply bracing (design yet to be formulated) also incorporating battery box, then braced into F8 and 9. Green lines show UC and motor bearers which will also aid in bracing frame. Iv'e tried to think ahead in relation to landing forces when nose wheel strikes...should i say kisses the runway, don't want the cockpit area breaking away.
1/8" sq and 1/8" by 1/16" balsa strips will be used as Philip Noel designed, to stringer the fuselage, this will strengthen structure even further. Skinning will be with 3mm depron, hopfully using the same method as humbertomelo, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1503474, and iliminate all those skin joints, or at least most of them.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:48 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Had some time today so cut out inlet and outlet duct holes in depron just F5 to do also notches added for striggers in ducts.
Ribs 1 and 3 can be see inplace, boon makes up rib 2 and rib 4 needs yet to be made yet from 1/16 ply.
Found that 1/32 ply intended for facing F8 and F9 is, by far, too flexiable so these will be replaced with 1/16 ply instead, will give better support for fan units as well.
Have my design for the battery box now also being constructed from 1/16 ply but currently i'm out of 1/16 ply so until shop opens again after hol's can,t complete those parts for now but will start on the boons next.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:19 AM
No Guts No Glory
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2003
1,229 Posts
Great Plane

I also just love the sea vixen. Let see how the build progresses. rgds mv
kestrel2003 is offline Find More Posts by kestrel2003
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:42 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Currently cutting the ply parts i need by hand as my scroll saw has burned out, sore hands at the moment but should have them done by Friday evening ready for assembling. Will post pictures then.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:35 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Ply parts cut (not all), F8 & 9 laminated onto depron fromers. Battery box assembled, i used Evo-stick wood adhesive for this then epoxy to fix into depron crutch.
Partly assembled to check fit.
Next- construct front retract nose box from ply and fix into existing structure.
Also have to attach tubing infueslage formers for attaching wings tips.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:45 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Nose under construction, now need to disassemble and glue together. before i fit retracts need to find some stearable nose gear that fit into servoless retracts.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:52 AM
smithy
Cornwall, UK
Joined Dec 2004
524 Posts
Nice work, your making good progress. Looking forward to see how she turns out. Great choice of subject, gotto love those early jets.

Phil
jumpy is offline Find More Posts by jumpy
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:33 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Thanks jumpy.
Today spent some time trawling the net for steerable retract, glad i found this thread, post 22:. Obtained dimensions and overlayed drawing, bearer needs to move up 16mm to aline. Could stay with original plan but only non-steerable retract could be used and i would like to have ground maneuverability. Luckly ply formers not glued in place yet so will cut some more.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:41 PM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
Carbon rod 7mm ali tubes now epoxied in place with 6mm rods in position. Inner ends of ali tube will be plugged using a 5mm lenght of 6mm carbon also epoxied inplace. Outer edges of tubing will be levelled with outer rib later to ensure flush fit.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:55 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
are those rods gonna run right through your ducting? if so, you'll lose a small percentage of thrust, but the upside is that you are gonna get a nice whooshing sound from the rods. that'll give you a nice jet-like doppler sound as it's flying by. |

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:16 AM
Norwich.uk.
Joined Oct 2007
542 Posts
I did consider that as i also gain more strength along the spar. Intend to leave rods as they are for now but should there be significant loss in thrust then i will plug the inner ends of tube cutting the section out that runs throught ducts. I,m quietly confident that it should be okay as setup is for;

2x E-flight DeltaV 15.
2x 3600kv inrunners- brand not yet decided.
2x 60Amp controllers- brand not yet decided.
4S1P 4200mah Li-Po

If the spec is correct as printed on the box of the fan unit this should give me 2.8Ib of thrust.

Second thought, i could leave the front rod and remove rear rod, this would mean flow of air would be unrestricted from the rear duct.
Last edited by domll; Jan 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:14 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Good luck with your build domll. I've fancied building one of these since Chris Gold did a plan for a twin 30mm fan about two years ago in QEFI.

Had the pleasure of seeing the Vixen upclose at the Yeovilton museum in the UK as well as seeing it flying together with the Avro Vulcan in 2011. Two beautiful aircrafts. The Vulcan is another one on the to do list.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen