HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:44 PM
Joined Aug 2013
32 Posts
Firewall

I have bout 40 flights on my Corsair and have checked the firewall after each 10 with no problems. That is with the 2 blade prop. I have a suspicion that the reason the firewall is giving out on some planes is because of all the torque of the stock 4 blade prop is just too much.Just a guess but maybe that 2005 watts is just too much torque on the motor mounts.
sugarbenny is offline Find More Posts by sugarbenny
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:46 PM
Joined Aug 2013
32 Posts
Tailwheel

I also had tail wheel problems. I abandon the stock servo and put a low profile 65oz torque servo in and it cured the problem.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2013
32 Posts
Worried

If you use the stock 4 blade yep its a good idea just too many amps going thur that stack esc in my opinion
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:58 PM
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Jan 2006
546 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.
I'll try and get a hold of a beefier esc soon. Ice 100 should do the trick
jpinn is online now Find More Posts by jpinn
Old Yesterday, 04:02 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,901 Posts
I was just going to ask what ESC do you guys suggest , so the Ice 100 is good to go .
Am I the only one thinking 6 cell Nanotech 50 to 90 C ?
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM
United States, TX, Johnson City
Joined Mar 2005
951 Posts
One of the ways you can reduce stress on the firewall is to use the throttle trim to start the prop there are other benefits; it will act as a brake in the air, it will give stability to the plane in the air at lower air speeds and on the ground. Just like riding a bike which is more stable under power. As the prop is under power there will be less stress when you add power after loops or other maneuvers. I haven't weighted it but that is a lot of rotational inertia mass there.
I do this on all of my planes from the little Cub to the big ones, helps with take offs, with the prop swing there is less pull at the start

Ken
Ken Smith is online now Find More Posts by Ken Smith
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
I was just going to ask what ESC do you guys suggest , so the Ice 100 is good to go .
I use the hobbywing 100a esc in all my 1700mm planes and edfs that are under 100a. I prefer the Platinum series ones since, but also use the funfly and skywalker version.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
Australia, QLD, Ferny Hills
Joined Apr 2013
578 Posts
Using a Talon 90 in mine, have flown her many times without a problem.
PhillPerry is online now Find More Posts by PhillPerry
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ready2Fly RAF DH-112 Venom
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
I used the ICE esc in both my LX p-40 and F4U and they work well with low pole count motors. The built in BEC was more than adequate and can be monitored with the built in data log. I am now using Hacker Master Mezon 120 Lite 8S with a 24 pole 2500 watt Hacker motor. The ICE controllers do not work with these motors so if you are thinking about going to 8s in the F4U, get the Mezon controller. The disadvantage of the ICE is that to view the data log, you have to plug the controller into a computer. With the Mezon controller, they have a little self contained monitor for reading flight data at the field. Also the Mezon internal BEC is rated at 8 amps. I usually do not go over 3.8 amps with the F4U. Also, the Mezon controller has an electronic on off switch which is setup to fail in the on position.
paracanary is offline Find More Posts by paracanary
Old Today, 06:15 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,901 Posts
Hey Paracanary, glad to see you in the thread we seem to share interest in the same planes.
I dont plan on going above 6 cell, but I am using a Turnegy Nanotech 40/90 rated batteries.
Do you think the ice will be ok and can the entire ESC upgrade be avoided by simply going to a two bladed prop ?
By the way finally crashed my LX P40 but it was repairable , now I get a nose up climb when wheels are retracted and I am at full throttle , I think I need some down trim or possible tail heavy problem .
May be moving to southern Cal near Huntington for work , never know we may be flying at the same field lol !
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm