HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:02 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,788 Posts
Voodoo... definitely do not land on the prop... they will fail in the next couple of flights. One of the guys had a good idea with a prop-stop to get them to fold level (ie blade not underneath). He suggested a short music wire stop..

Mind you.. if these are the newer slowbarless ones, they might be a little stronger perhaps?
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:46 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox View Post
Good luck with Your 256th maiden
Yuri
That's funny right there
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:24 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
Voodoo... definitely do not land on the prop... they will fail in the next couple of flights. One of the guys had a good idea with a prop-stop to get them to fold level (ie blade not underneath). He suggested a short music wire stop..

Mind you.. if these are the newer slowbarless ones, they might be a little stronger perhaps?
Not sure if they would be any stronger. However mine are post cured at higher temps and use a different carbon, which might make the difference. I also work the outer carbon skin further into the hub area in an effort to increase impact resistance and to maximise fiber content in the hubs. They should be stronger, havnt had one explode on me yet
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:44 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,707 Posts
Hey guys.

I've been reading a lot through this thread and haven't come across any F5D setups yet. Is everybody flying the X-Plane as F5D, or is everybody going F5B/mini hotliner?

Contimplaing my next F5D rig and I'm really liking this.

Thanks.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Hey guys.

I've been reading a lot through this thread and haven't come across any F5D setups yet. Is everybody flying the X-Plane as F5D, or is everybody going F5B/mini hotliner?

Contimplaing my next F5D rig and I'm really liking this.

Thanks.

Tim
Yup me flying pylon style. And pulling pretty hard turns at #1 (my spotter says he sees wing flex but I don't see it)
Current setup is Neu 1112/2D 3250KV, 4S, Graupner 4.7 x 4.7 which seems to give me the fastest results.
Flys really good as a pylon plane when you get the CG correct. Tracks well. Pretty fast. and lands pretty slow. Quite a speed range.
Beautifly built by Yuri
Don't know if the plane is F5D legal??

Never being satisfied I am going to be putting an outrunner in it this winter. I like the idea of cooler and quieter.

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:24 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
Not sure if they would be any stronger. However mine are post cured at higher temps and use a different carbon, which might make the difference. I also work the outer carbon skin further into the hub area in an effort to increase impact resistance and to maximise fiber content in the hubs. They should be stronger, havnt had one explode on me yet
I still have a few sets of the old ones left... the worst part is when they break, it usually damages the nose/motor mount area too...
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:42 AM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
958 Posts
Quote:
I still have a few sets of the old ones left... the worst part is when they break, it usually damages the nose/motor mount area too...
I know, it's a pain. I do wish they had stronger hubs or even a better designed hub. It's not really a case of them not being strong enough but rather how the hubs stick out. A typical folder normally gets some protection on landings because the hubs sit inside the yoke while the sawtooths are completely exposed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:04 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:

It was real easy to see if they were lined up on the side of the fuz for landing,but the combo was not happy,i think i may have been distorting the blades or something....this sound is not vibration,but something much more EVIL I dig these blades,people at the field were trippin,pulled out all there cameras to get pics,it was like a U.F.O had landed .....I heard the sound once,did a pass and realised all was OK,so i hit it one more time,then heard it again and landed....after inspection,the blades are in perfect condition,even did a couple static tests and there was no vibs,and the blades held up
DSCF4308 (1 min 54 sec)
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:15 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,295 Posts
Nasty sound! My guess would be prop flutter
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Nasty sound! My guess would be prop flutter
Got my ATTENTION Pics from today....I think us sports guys need a Super Sawtooth...i kid you not,i want no other prop on this plane from this day forward
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2004
433 Posts
That sound seemed to happen after a couple laps, after the speed had built up to a goodly number. I'm thinking it's just indication that you're "on the pipe".

I say...keep it pegged until something breaks.

Kidding aside...it does sound like flutter. It may not be from the motor at all. It could be an aileron or a flap. You may want to take an extra close look at all those connections.
drice is offline Find More Posts by drice
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drice View Post
That sound seemed to happen after a couple laps, after the speed had built up to a goodly number. I'm thinking it's just indication that you're "on the pipe".

I say...keep it pegged until something breaks.

Kidding aside...it does sound like flutter. It may not be from the motor at all. It could be an aileron or a flap. You may want to take an extra close look at all those connections.
Nahhh,the plane is all good,after that flight,i strapped on my 11X22 and got 2 flights on it,UNLESS the Sawtooths get it going faster then the GM to get the Flaps to Flutter .........I will say one thing about those Sawtooths "They accelerate NICE...well,and sound AWESOME... before that other sound hits"
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:34 PM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
958 Posts
Not to worry guys, we will get the issue sorted out. In the mean time voodoo, pop off the blades and run up the motor just with the spinner and ensure everything is running true a small imbalance somewhere in the system can be enough to knock the blades out of track.

Flap fluter could be possible, the sawtooths are usually a considerable amount faster on the same power then a standard prop. It's also strange how it's only happening once the plane has a chance to build up speed, normally if the prop wants to go funny it's going to do it within the first few seconds of launch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
Not to worry guys, we will get the issue sorted out. In the mean time voodoo, pop off the blades and run up the motor just with the spinner and ensure everything is running true a small imbalance somewhere in the system can be enough to knock the blades out of track.

Flap fluter could be possible, the sawtooths are usually a considerable amount faster on the same power then a standard prop. It's also strange how it's only happening once the plane has a chance to build up speed, normally if the prop wants to go funny it's going to do it within the first few seconds of launch.
There is no doubt they are faster then the GM 11X22,so tomorrow i am going to run the 11X22 on 5S which will be faster then the Sawtooths in the video to see if it is the flaps......But it is nothing in the drivetrain as all is smooth as silk
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:20 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,133 Posts
I have had flaps flutter once,I guess I mentioned this in one of my posts.
Problem was in one of flap control horns,tiny slop between clevis and horn.
Was not noticeable at relatively slow speeds,but fluttered on 5S with 16x17 +7degrees spinner.
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox