Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 02, 2014, 12:25 PM
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
304 Posts
Give it a coat of water-based polyurethane. It will help protect the decals to some degree. I use a regular brush as opposed to the foam brush which won't put it on as heavy. Use a couple of coats. Should also line the plastic cowl with fiberglass reinforced tape. It will help keep it together and add strength in case of a mishap.
spaceinvader is online now Find More Posts by spaceinvader
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2014, 01:42 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceinvader View Post
Give it a coat of water-based polyurethane. It will help protect the decals to some degree. I use a regular brush as opposed to the foam brush which won't put it on as heavy. Use a couple of coats. Should also line the plastic cowl with fiberglass reinforced tape. It will help keep it together and add strength in case of a mishap.
I have already put two coats of Minwax on before I assembled it. I might add another later today/tonight. Haven't done the cowl reinforcement thing yet, but sounds like a good idea since parts are basically nowhere to be found especially the HK blue sttiP's
Also stopped by my local hobby shop and picked up a Super Cub prop spinner for 99 cents. It fits and for the price I couldn't resist.. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...cub-lp-HBZ7107
M3_matt is offline Find More Posts by M3_matt
Last edited by M3_matt; Jul 02, 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 08:28 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

Papa sttiP's and baby Pitts together after some flying today!!
Old Jul 03, 2014, 09:49 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,701 Posts
LOL! What a great combo! Piggy-backed and all!
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:00 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
The 20 amp ESC is getting pretty hot with the 10x8 prop combo and I am only running a 1300 25C pack as well. You guys run into any problems with the stock ESC and bigger props? Just not in the mood to fry the stock ESC
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:56 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,807 Posts
M3_matt,

Don't run that motor and system on the bench any longer than 30seconds or so. I have been flying my sttiP on the stock 20 ESC via 10x80 prop for around three years without issue.

The only way to really know if you are over-amping your power train is to hook up to a power monitor and check the watt pull and amp load for just a second or two at wide open throttle.

I have never tested mine but since it has never had a heating issue....never checked up on it...may do it for grins but I need to charge a battery for it 1st.

So, when you state your plane is getting hot....is this after a flight or from the bench?

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Jul 07, 2014, 11:12 PM
Lebanon,OH
Joined Oct 2002
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin View Post
M3_matt,

Don't run that motor and system on the bench any longer than 30seconds or so. I have been flying my sttiP on the stock 20 ESC via 10x80 prop for around three years without issue.

The only way to really know if you are over-amping your power train is to hook up to a power monitor and check the watt pull and amp load for just a second or two at wide open throttle.

I have never tested mine but since it has never had a heating issue....never checked up on it...may do it for grins but I need to charge a battery for it 1st.

So, when you state your plane is getting hot....is this after a flight or from the bench?

TwistedGrin
After a 7 min flight!! I broke my Parkzone prop, so I picked up a SF 10x7 APC and a few 10x8 GWS ones as well! I have one flight on the APC, and after a 7 min flight it's still pretty warm. It just doesn't get any cooling were I have it.... stuffed down in the nose. If you haven't had any issues with the 20 amp ESC with the 10x8 then I will not worry about!!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:02 PM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
873 Posts
Video of my flying my Pitts, bunch of hard aerobatics all the way. Almost 12 minutes of long uncut video flight i still have 50% extra juice left before hitting LVC. Huge fun

Video:
Pitts Special - Beach fun aerobatics, Marina Bay (9 min 30 sec)
ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:13 PM
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Jul 2011
209 Posts
After being grounded for over a month, I'm starting the rebuilding process. I had to finish some other projects before the rebuid. It seems to be coming together pretty well even though I'm missing some foam. Once it's all back together I think I'll repaint with the Scholl design.
PikeStaff, I'm curious how the cowl mold you had a few years ago turned out. Have you been able to pull any cowls from it and would it be possible for me to get one? Mine was pretty much wasted from the impact.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1407881590315.jpg
Views: 6
Size: 36.5 KB
Description: Name: uploadfromtaptalk1407881604308.jpg
Views: 8
Size: 47.6 KB
Description:
sixfins is online now Find More Posts by sixfins
Old Aug 12, 2014, 07:39 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,701 Posts
I do still have it....but about the time I figured out the plastic needed 400* to pull right! spares showed up at a couple places. Have you checked Park Flyers yet? - parkflyers.com They might still have some, and would be faster than me.

If not, we'll fire up the oven and give it a shot.

This is the link to their stash.... http://www.parkflyers.com/Daredevil_...one_p/9111.htm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
209 Posts
Thanks, Park Flyers appears to have discontinued them, but I'll do a search and see what I can come up with. I remembered reading that spare parts weren't available for the sttiP and saw some guys getting very creative for solutions to the cowl and yours looked spot on. It'll probably take me a couple weeks or more to get it air worthy again.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 06:32 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
Joined Sep 2010
2,701 Posts
One more...

http://www.bananahobby.com/cowl-for-...3582-prd1.html

Shows in stock. BTW, Park Flyers shows up as discontinued....but as a model - they still have parts.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:08 PM
Never trade Luck for Skill
United States, NY, Cape Vincent
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Pepsi Pitts

Hi everyone

Hope you've all been out flying, things have been quiet here.

I finally pushed thru and finished the 'upgrades' on my Art-Tech sttiP, cutting/hinging and connecting the upper wing ailerons, and new paint to replace her aging/peeling stickers!

I showed the servo pockets I carved out of the wing a few posts ago, hot-glued in and skinned over with matching tape they're nicely hidden, re-using the stock pushrods to a combo control horn/upper pushrod connection.

Once I stripped off the stock stickers and got her back to basic foam white, I decided the Pepsi Skywriter paintjob looked easy enough to emulate and went for it, re-taped the white canopy edging with red tape, a few printed decals and freehanded the rest in a TLAR fashion

Hoping for the wind to die down to acceptable levels so I can see about a flight video, I'll share something soon!

Dusty
S4WDU5T is offline Find More Posts by S4WDU5T
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:46 PM
Joined Jul 2011
209 Posts
Nice work S4WDU5T!
I got all my pieces back together in one piece, but still have some holes to fill. What's the recommended way, should I use some expanding foam from the HD, some scraps of packaging foam cut down to size or some depron or something else? I'm looking for ease of use and durability. I don't think the area these holes are really do a lot for strength and support.
Thanks again for the help and support here
Josh
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:01 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfins View Post
Nice work S4WDU5T!
I got all my pieces back together in one piece, but still have some holes to fill. What's the recommended way, should I use some expanding foam from the HD, some scraps of packaging foam cut down to size or some depron or something else? I'm looking for ease of use and durability. I don't think the area these holes are really do a lot for strength and support.
Thanks again for the help and support here
Josh
There are many light weight fillers try light spackling from HD or Lowes
Also train guys use foam filler for lots of layout fabricating
Good hobby stores will have lite filler latex filler for balsa
All of above can be mixed with water and spread thin and easily sanded
You used to be able to find micro ballons at lhs and mix with all sorts of binder and epoxy
Easiest solution is the light weight spackling from local source
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn