SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by old1104
Joined Nov 2013
162 Posts
Discussion
Building an Electric Bubble Dancer

I am planning to build two Bubble Dancers. One to the plans as close as I can. The other will be electric. The heavier wing will be flown as TD and a heavier electric Bubble Dancer when wind requires adding weight. I have a heavy pod and boom that will be used for the heavier electric which will have excess power and wt will should not be an issue.

I am making some changes to the wing structure in attempt to keep the weight down for an electric. I purchased a rib set (mountain models) and pod and boom set (ClmPro). The fill between the spars will will be ⅛ thick. For the center section plan to change the main spar to 1/2 by ⅛ balsa with .020 thick carbon cover. The trailing edge will be changed to 1 by . The balsa sheeting will be much lighter than required for a TD plane.

Similar changes will be made to the mid and outer wing sections.

I will try to reduce the tail section wt but it is not required since the motor will be is excess wt. I plan to put the servos in the vertical on the electric version. The vertical will be a thickened enclose the servos.

Not sure what is the best selection of motor for the glider but once I get the pod in hand I will start trying to figure what I will use.
old1104 is offline Find More Posts by old1104
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2015, 03:42 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,184 Posts
Can you tell more about MM rib set ?
Not seen so far any thread with an exact detailed description what you get in the "brick"...
Also, because I am interested for overseas shipping, please can you measure and weight the package ?

Thank you
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 06, 2015, 10:09 AM
Joined Nov 2013
162 Posts
Yes The rib set comes in a brick. Mine wts 242 grams. It has the ribs and the filler to go between the carbon spares. it also has temples for the leading edge shape for each rib station. The set is well done. Hope this helps

The ribs sre cut 1/4 inch longer which works for me for the lighter electric so that I can use 1 1/4 inch trailing edge instead of 1 1/2 inch trailing edge to keep the wts down for the electric.

I am shaping the trailing edge now for the electric version.

I wish I could find a set of wing plans since I have not been able to down load the wing from the site as I did the vertical and the stab. I can build off the spar and rib spacing but a wing plan would be nice to have

Art
Old Jan 06, 2015, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,184 Posts
No pictures, no story
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 06, 2015, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by mhodgson
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
586 Posts
One thing you may not appreciate with changing the TE width. The BD wing sections were designed to have 3 flat parts on the top, aft of the spar.
Sheeting to rear spar, rear spar to TE strip, and the TE strip itself.
Technically by making the TE narrower you may be changing the section. Probably won't make any difference but worth knowing.

Here is the wing plan for the BD from the Charles River site. You will have to stick it together as it prints out A4 sheets.
Hope it helps.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson
Old Jan 06, 2015, 01:36 PM
Joined Nov 2013
162 Posts
Thanks for the plans. I checked the ribs fit to the 1 by trailing edge so I think the airfoil is not changed. I am sanding the trailing edge to match the ribs as the trailing edge is tapered. I have to notch ribs to match the ⅛ plus carbon new spars. Then I will assemble the center center section and find out if I am lighting the wing as planed or just doing extra work for little gain. The other way I thought about lighting was to cut the carbon in half which would have been less work.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:14 PM
Joined Nov 2013
162 Posts
I am slowly getting started on the build. Attached are 2 pictures. Have to install joiner then sheet the center section and find out if I have saved any weight. I just used balsa for the attachment to the pod. That all that was used on my other electric wings of similar size wings with no problems.