New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2015, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by Dansy
Joined Apr 2013
428 Posts
On mine I decided to use the JR 3711 HV on Rud/Elev's and Futaba 3701 HV servo's one dual switch and 2x 2s lipo's direct......a little on the expensive side but I get no failure....
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2015, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by xairflyer
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavin View Post
Its been a LONG whir since I built a jet. Can you please provide me with a servo list ? The instructions I have don't seem to match the needs.(It is for the first generation I guess. Can you tell me what you used?

Thanks
Chris
Hitecs as mentioned ideal for flaps, ailerons, I used a single elevator servo in the tailplane so cant comment for stock setup but I am using a Corona DS339Mg for rudders I fitted them temp to get it flying and they were working really well so left them in, now has 100+ flights
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Jul 01, 2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by Clavin
United States, FL, Palm Beach Gardens
Joined Jun 2015
2 Posts
I need A voltage regulator then

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm026 View Post
I used Hitec HS-5645MG on the ailerons & flaps, HS-625MG on nosegear and (originally) HS-5245MG digital mini's for the rudders & elevators. I had three of the 5245's fail on the ground before I ever flew the plane, so I pulled them and replaced with JR DS3421. BTW, you need to match the two servos on the elevator, or add a small amount of slop in one side so that the two servos don't fight each other.

I've used the 5245's many times before but this was apparently a bad batch. The three failed all had the same date code. I sent them back to Hitec, they changed out the driver boards and they all seem fine now. They gave me no explanation other than the boards were bad. I've used Hitec pretty consistently for 11 years and this was my first real issue.

Greg
SO I guess there is no way around using a voltage regulator then?

Thanks for the input guys
Clavin is offline Find More Posts by Clavin
Old Jul 01, 2015, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by Dansy
Joined Apr 2013
428 Posts
Quote:

I really don't like voltage regulator.....loss a pattern plane to those.....so I used HV servo now that they are widely available...and I don't need any regulator...I also don't like Hitec.....
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Jul 01, 2015, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by gsm026
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined May 2008
496 Posts
Quote:

I don't use a voltage regulator. I run redundant 2S LiFe packs, which are within the voltage range of any servo designed for 5-cell NiCd or NiMH. I confirmed the voltage range with Hitec and they specifically told me that those servos were fine on 2S LiFe. if you use LiPo then you would need HV servos or a regulator.

The failure of those three servos was an anomaly; I've used probably 150+ Hitec servos over the years including a fair number of those and I've never seen anything like it. Had this failure mode happened in the air it could have been fatal, but since they failed pretty much out of box, that was a pretty low risk.

My guess is that it was a manufacturing quality escape, either at the PCBA level or the component level. They should test each servo under load but apparently they don't.

Greg
gsm026 is offline Find More Posts by gsm026
Old Jul 01, 2015, 11:51 PM
Find More Posts by crash8384
United States, OK, Clinton
Joined Aug 2011
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
Hitecs as mentioned ideal for flaps, ailerons, I used a single elevator servo in the tailplane so cant comment for stock setup but I am using a Corona DS339Mg for rudders I fitted them temp to get it flying and they were working really well so left them in, now has 100+ flights
ha.....I too am running coronas in the rudd but also in the elev aswell. good decent servo. I have quite a few in various models.

I also lost a big 3d elec plane from the same hitec servos prob from the same batch awhile back. no telling, I just chunked the bad one.

now what I had and installed for the flaps and aile. is 2x pair of JR DS8711's. way overkill but i tried to use what i had.
crash8384 is offline Find More Posts by crash8384
Old Jul 02, 2015, 06:12 AM
Find More Posts by xairflyer
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,394 Posts
I never use voltage regulators, all you do is add something that could fail, if you feel you need to use lipo batterys then use HV servos, same if using Life use servos that can work with these voltages and remember it has to be the voltage off the charger which is much higher than nominal.

Majority of servos on the market were designed for 4.8-6v so why not use the battery they were designed for?
I use 4.8 or 6v NIMH receiver packs in all my models, for my jets and all my large models, I use 3300 or 4300mah C cell packs and never had an issue.
I dont need to worry about servo voltages and the packs I buy come with two power leads so easy to charge without needed to disconnect from the switch.

The C cells are really robust and wont pull the voltage down and they can also be fast charged.
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Jul 02, 2015, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2008
496 Posts
I'm a total convert over to LiFe. I do not worry about charging voltage as I don't charge in the plane.

Greg
Old Jul 02, 2015, 11:00 PM
Find More Posts by amauri
new jersey
Joined Mar 2004
14 Posts
Quick question, have you guys heard of the new king tech K120 G. It just came out this week Same can and weight as the K80 most of you are using so CG won't be an issue, of course it has to be tamed down. What you guys think of this for the Navy Cat. And Greg I know you gave me your 2 cents on the 140 I was planing on getting I'll stick to the manufacturers requirements.
amauri is offline Find More Posts by amauri
Old Jul 02, 2015, 11:14 PM
Joined May 2008
496 Posts
The 120 would be much better in this plane than the 140. Just like you said; Cg not an issue, fuel burn shouldn't be an issue if you tame it down. Then the only concern is residual thrust.

If they had the 120 out when I built my Viper last winter, I would have used it instead of the 100.

Greg
Old Jul 02, 2015, 11:36 PM
Find More Posts by amauri
new jersey
Joined Mar 2004
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm026 View Post
The 120 would be much better in this plane than the 140. Just like you said; Cg not an issue, fuel burn shouldn't be an issue if you tame it down. Then the only concern is residual thrust.

If they had the 120 out when I built my Viper last winter, I would have used it instead of the 100.

Greg
Thanks Greg. I know it seems I'm trying to run before I crawl, I'm just seeing it as purchasing something I can use in the future with other aircrafts. I'm planning on purchasing my turbine next month when I have the Navy Cat almost complete.

By the way I received my Navy Cat today it came with a slight scratch on the nose besides that everything was great. Most of the issues you guys had mentioned and fixed in this thread have been corrected by the manufacturer, I guess they listened. The bottom hatch still doesn't fit correctly and I can see why you guys added more hysol on the wings where you could reach. Im very excited to start up on it. But I think I'm going to finish repairs and building a tucano I have so I can give my Navy Cat my full undivided attention in a couple of weeks.
amauri is offline Find More Posts by amauri