Old Feb 06, 2016, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
If it flies - I want one!
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,332 Posts
Discussion
Color Board - Experiments

Was struck by a sudden urge after finishing a large project, to turn my many bits and pieces of micro gear into flying models for indoor.
And the 'Color Board' was mentioned in one of the Aussie materials threads - so, results as pictured.
Only the whirligig has been tested so far, and it does rise from a polished floor. Have left several bits for adjustment and removal when the CG is properly sorted.
My localish club has an indoor night next week, so the rest should get a go then.
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2016, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by ghcrash
GH crash - I practice a lot
United States, OK, Bartlesville
Joined Oct 2011
145 Posts
I like the whirligig. Can you give more details on it? Are there plans available? I've seen a 1/2A version but the engine was 90 degrees to yours so that the engine crank was inline with the wing.

Again, more info on the whirligig, please.
ghcrash is offline Find More Posts by ghcrash
Old Feb 07, 2016, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,332 Posts
Whirligigs

Ghcrash,
There is a bit more about my 'whirligigs' in my blog, but I have no specific plans for this one. All measurements are guesstimates to try and get one flying on one micro LiPo cell. Looks as if it should work, as weight is around 25gm at the moment and there are a few bits to be trimmed off when I get it sorted (extra wire, CF frame bits).
I've angled the prop up for a couple of reasons - one is to provide some upward thrust on the end opposite the wing, the other is to provide clearance so it can take off from the floor.
A general Google search on Charybdis, monocopter, rotoriser, McCutchen flying machine, etc will give you heaps more information and inspiration on these strange machines.
I will take some more pics over the next few days and post them with some notes.
Cheers, and thanks for your interest,
PeteM
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:39 AM
Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
630 Posts
I can vouch for Pete's Whirligig having witnessed it's weird but effective flight pattern. Hope you are keeping well Pete - and hope you can pay us a visit soon at our Waverley or Boronia venues: http://www.indooraviation.com/ You could bring along the Whirligig or some of your other interesting micros for our entertainment.
Peter
Ps. Thanks for the tip about the Colour Board. P
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Feb 08, 2016, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by Petem
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,332 Posts
Daiso stores

No worries Peter - good to hear from you!
Yes, would like to visit over your way - is Sandy still going?
There are Daiso stores in Airport West shopping centre, two in the City, and in Chadstone and Dandenong. Had to scout around a bit to find the foam.
Cheers,
Pete
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
630 Posts
Yes, Sandy is still running. Pete, but I haven't been there for a long time. Don B still goes sometimes he says. We are planning some additional flying sessions at Waverley this year - they should be listed on the website soon.
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack