Old Feb 06, 2016, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
If it flies - I want one!
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,393 Posts
Discussion
Color Board - Experiments

Was struck by a sudden urge after finishing a large project, to turn my many bits and pieces of micro gear into flying models for indoor.
And the 'Color Board' was mentioned in one of the Aussie materials threads - so, results as pictured.
Only the whirligig has been tested so far, and it does rise from a polished floor. Have left several bits for adjustment and removal when the CG is properly sorted.
My localish club has an indoor night next week, so the rest should get a go then.
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2016, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by ghcrash
GH crash - I practice a lot
United States, OK, Bartlesville
Joined Oct 2011
148 Posts
I like the whirligig. Can you give more details on it? Are there plans available? I've seen a 1/2A version but the engine was 90 degrees to yours so that the engine crank was inline with the wing.

Again, more info on the whirligig, please.
ghcrash is offline Find More Posts by ghcrash
Old Feb 07, 2016, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,393 Posts
Whirligigs

Ghcrash,
There is a bit more about my 'whirligigs' in my blog, but I have no specific plans for this one. All measurements are guesstimates to try and get one flying on one micro LiPo cell. Looks as if it should work, as weight is around 25gm at the moment and there are a few bits to be trimmed off when I get it sorted (extra wire, CF frame bits).
I've angled the prop up for a couple of reasons - one is to provide some upward thrust on the end opposite the wing, the other is to provide clearance so it can take off from the floor.
A general Google search on Charybdis, monocopter, rotoriser, McCutchen flying machine, etc will give you heaps more information and inspiration on these strange machines.
I will take some more pics over the next few days and post them with some notes.
Cheers, and thanks for your interest,
PeteM
Old Feb 08, 2016, 05:39 AM
Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
657 Posts
I can vouch for Pete's Whirligig having witnessed it's weird but effective flight pattern. Hope you are keeping well Pete - and hope you can pay us a visit soon at our Waverley or Boronia venues: http://www.indooraviation.com/ You could bring along the Whirligig or some of your other interesting micros for our entertainment.
Peter
Ps. Thanks for the tip about the Colour Board. P
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Feb 08, 2016, 05:56 AM
Find More Posts by Petem
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,393 Posts
Daiso stores

No worries Peter - good to hear from you!
Yes, would like to visit over your way - is Sandy still going?
There are Daiso stores in Airport West shopping centre, two in the City, and in Chadstone and Dandenong. Had to scout around a bit to find the foam.
Cheers,
Pete
Old Feb 08, 2016, 10:48 PM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
657 Posts
Yes, Sandy is still running. Pete, but I haven't been there for a long time. Don B still goes sometimes he says. We are planning some additional flying sessions at Waverley this year - they should be listed on the website soon.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by 1auriec
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
No worries Peter - good to hear from you!
Yes, would like to visit over your way - is Sandy still going?
There are Daiso stores in Airport West shopping centre, two in the City, and in Chadstone and Dandenong. Had to scout around a bit to find the foam.
Cheers,
Pete
There's also one in Doncaster Shopping Town. I'll have a look there to see if it has the material. Thanks for drawing it to my attention.
1auriec is online now Find More Posts by 1auriec
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,393 Posts
No worries

Ah good, another one to try - Daiso is a sort of Japanese $2 shop, my wife calls it the 'Pink shop'. Just about everything is priced at $2.80.
I have an indoor night in Geelong next Weds, so should be able to report on flight performance soon after.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:37 PM
Joined May 2011
359 Posts
I wasn't able to find any at Doncaster, but I did find it at the Daiso Swanston St store. 3 sheets, each 450x300x5mm, with three colour combinations, pink/yellow, blue/yellow, blue/pink. I weighed the sheets and found two were a little over 27g and the third a little under. Using 27g, this gives a weight of 200g per square metre, making it heavier than 3mm depron, but very comparable to 5mm depron. I compared it visually to some 3mm depron, and it looks very similar, with a surface texture that is the same as far as I could tell. It's stiffer than 3mm depron but not having any 5mm depron I couldn't compare it with that.

I think it would be a good material, and like the built in colour, opens up a lot of possibilities. A thinner version in a single colour would be even more handy.

An alert young guy at the store knew about the larger sheets, but said they didn't have any in stock, might have in the future though. He asked what I wanted it for, so I told him. I encouraged him to get his boss to stock some, telling him how vast a number of model aircraft builders would buy it if they heard he had it, and offering to spread the word.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 02:29 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
657 Posts
Will you bring some to our next Waverley meeting Laurie? I'll check out the Daiso store at Chadstone. There are some interesting developments in local supplies of Depron style foam: HK Oz has bulk packs in different thicknesses and Mr Excel has recreated thin Durobatics- like sheets. John J has some samples.
Peter
Old Feb 20, 2016, 03:51 AM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
657 Posts
Laurie,
Daiso Chadstone report that they only have the 5mm sheets. I was told that the 2mm were no longer available according to his computer inventory.
Peter
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,393 Posts
Are we there yet?

Well, no. Took the newest fleet plus some bought ones along to the West Coast Soarers indoor night last week, and three out of four refused to aviate! The little white Rat flew a treat, as all rats tend to, but both PbF and Nutball taxied with reluctance and that was all. Clearly one cell is insufficient, so we will have to go to two. That will require a fair bit of work, as I used 1-cell esc. Bugga!
The Whirligig, after running fine at home and even rising from a hard floor, refused to even turn the prop once folks were watching.
Back at home, extensive troubleshooting confirmed that all components were serviceable, but nothing actually worked. I finished up 'solving' the problem by plugging the ESC into Rudder on the little HK Rx, killing the rudder input with one mix, and feeding Throttle to Rudder with another on my transmitter. Strange days indeed, but now ready to test again when I get the chance.
Anyway, bottom line is that my models built from this foam look quite nice, but do not yet fly! Rush out and buy yours today!
Cheers,
Pete
Old Feb 21, 2016, 03:59 PM
Joined May 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mack View Post
Will you bring some to our next Waverley meeting Laurie? I'll check out the Daiso store at Chadstone. There are some interesting developments in local supplies of Depron style foam: HK Oz has bulk packs in different thicknesses and Mr Excel has recreated thin Durobatics- like sheets. John J has some samples.
Peter
Hi Peter. I was planning to do a "show and tell" with it at Waverley. Yes, I've seen John's Durobatics clone. Very very thin and light.
L
Old Feb 21, 2016, 04:02 PM
Joined May 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mack View Post
Laurie,
Daiso Chadstone report that they only have the 5mm sheets. I was told that the 2mm were no longer available according to his computer inventory.
Peter
It seems that the Daiso stores are franchise operations, and different Melbourne stores have different owners. The Swanston St and Doncaster stores have the same owner, but Chadstone is different. The guy I spoke to at Swanston St said they have different stock policies where they have different owners.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 04:49 PM
Joined May 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
Well, no. Took the newest fleet plus some bought ones along to the West Coast Soarers indoor night last week, and three out of four refused to aviate! The little white Rat flew a treat, as all rats tend to, but both PbF and Nutball taxied with reluctance and that was all. Clearly one cell is insufficient, so we will have to go to two. That will require a fair bit of work, as I used 1-cell esc. Bugga!
The Whirligig, after running fine at home and even rising from a hard floor, refused to even turn the prop once folks were watching.
Back at home, extensive troubleshooting confirmed that all components were serviceable, but nothing actually worked. I finished up 'solving' the problem by plugging the ESC into Rudder on the little HK Rx, killing the rudder input with one mix, and feeding Throttle to Rudder with another on my transmitter. Strange days indeed, but now ready to test again when I get the chance.
Anyway, bottom line is that my models built from this foam look quite nice, but do not yet fly! Rush out and buy yours today!
Cheers,
Pete
That's disappointing. I suspect this foam might be a little heavy for 1S indoor flyers. However, I think it should be great for the Flitetest mini series, which use 2S brushless. It is only 2/3 the weight of the Dollar Tree aka Adams foam they're designed for, so it should make nice floaty versions, suitable for indoor flying, but also able to hold their own outside.

Using the WLToys F939 1S running gear I find that I can make slow flying indoor models with wingspans around 400-500 mm as long as I keep the all up weight below 50g. 3mm depron is my material of choice, so I'm hoping the Daiso 3mm and 2mm sheets will become available and give another option.