Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2016, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by KeithK
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,875 Posts
No, but I did renew my AMA. AMA says to not register with FAA, will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Guess either way I got to put I.D.s on my planes. Most of my stuff is under the weight limit tho. Wonder if RCRC will issue guidelines for the field?
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Jan 03, 2016, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by Oxotnik
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2015
200 Posts
Hey, guys, I just stumbled across your group. I didn't know that there was another RC group in the Huntspatch area. I live in Monrovia area and work on the Arsenal. I'm flying with NARCA now, but would would love to learn more about you guys.
Oxotnik is offline Find More Posts by Oxotnik
Old Jan 04, 2016, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by T3chDad
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
4,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxotnik View Post
Hey, guys, I just stumbled across your group. I didn't know that there was another RC group in the Huntspatch area. I live in Monrovia area and work on the Arsenal. I'm flying with NARCA now, but would would love to learn more about you guys.
The renegades are a club in spirit only. Our activity has largely subsided over the last year or two due to location encroachment. I now belong to both the Huntsville Heli Fliers and Rocket City RC (RCRC)... Both are AMA sanctioned clubs. I am also the president of RCRC. There are two more clubs (Decatur and your club, NARCA), but I know almost nothing about them. RCRC and HHF both have good Facebook pages, the former being http://Facebook.com/RocketCityRC. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest Projects...
Old Jan 04, 2016, 01:59 PM
Joined Sep 2015
200 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'm very happy with NARCA and live pretty close to the NARCA field. But, if you guys had approval to fly on the Arsenal, I'd love to get in on some lunch-time flying action, especially since it gets dark so early during Winter. Gotta get my foamy fix whenever I can... LOL
Old Jan 04, 2016, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by T3chDad
(TechDad) Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
4,575 Posts
We flew out here at the activity field/parade grounds almost every day at lunch for over five years without incident. We had the MPs and other first responders all around watching from time to time and discussed it with them...no issues.

Then the Redstone Rocket newspaper did a story on us and there were no RC flying signs up everywhere with the gates locked within a couple of days.
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest Projects...
Old Jan 04, 2016, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2015
200 Posts
Bummer. I was a little surprised that anyone had permission to fly RC on the Arsenal. I guess that it was too good to be true... :-/
When I'd gotten back into RC electrics last September, I'd brought a powered sail plane in to the office to fly during lunch (in a hay field near my office). After flying it that day, I thought, 'Hmm, I probably shouldn't do that again.'
Old Jan 04, 2016, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by Vicarious
One of the usual suspects
Joined Jun 2007
1,513 Posts
I am relaying this from Richard Wegrich.

[ If you'd care to fly indoors, Mars Micro Modelers have reserved Building 4316 on Wednesday, January 20th from 4-6 PM for our first fly-in of 2016. Please make plans to attend and bring all those new planes, quads, helicopters and whatever else you wish to fly and let's have some fun to start off the New Year.]

Jeff
Old Jan 04, 2016, 03:20 PM
Joined Sep 2015
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
I am relaying this from Richard Wegrich.

[ If you'd care to fly indoors, Mars Micro Modelers have reserved Building 4316 on Wednesday, January 20th from 4-6 PM for our first fly-in of 2016. Please make plans to attend and bring all those new planes, quads, helicopters and whatever else you wish to fly and let's have some fun to start off the New Year.]

Jeff
Jeff, thanks! 4316 is right up the road from me (I'm in Bld 4203). I'll send Richard an email to get connected. My little UMX Radian would enjoy the 4316. :-)

Chuck
Old Jan 05, 2016, 02:01 PM
Pen
Find More Posts by Pen
Pen
FPWhat?
Joined Sep 2008
1,684 Posts
I plan to go to the 20 Jan MARS fly. You can email Richard at deleted@removed.org and ask to be added to the notification email list and you will get an email announcing the next MARS fly in which are about once a month. Its small gym size and I've seen anywhere from 3 to 12 people show up with micros. If you can get on the arsenal, you are invited to fly. Maybe I'll see you there.

-darren
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
Last edited by Pen; Jan 06, 2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 02:08 PM
Pen
Find More Posts by Pen
Pen
FPWhat?
Joined Sep 2008
1,684 Posts
Jeff - I have not registered.

If you decided you wanted to fly today, can you get registered quickly/instantly or is it something that takes days/weeks/months?
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
Old Jan 05, 2016, 03:30 PM
Joined Sep 2015
200 Posts
Darren, I contacted Rich, and he's adding me to the email list. I work for the same organization that Rich does and am very familiar with Bld 4316. I'm thinking that I'll snag another inside flier before the 20th. I'm looking forward to seeing you all there and doing a little indoor flying.
Last edited by Oxotnik; Jan 05, 2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by Vicarious
One of the usual suspects
Joined Jun 2007
1,513 Posts
Hey Darren,
I've always just shown up.
BTW I purposely left his email off the thread so it would not be picked up by spammers. You might edit that post for his sake.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by jrtubb
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
2,114 Posts
The other club, closer to Redstone, is Rocket City RC. The field is off Leeman Ferry Rd just outside the entrance to the city dump. Club is changing for the good now and all aircraft are welcome. If you are AMA member come check us out.

RCRC is going to follow AMA direction at this time concerning FAA registration.

http://www.rocketcityrc.com
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
Last edited by jrtubb; Jan 05, 2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2016, 09:46 PM
Joined Sep 2015
200 Posts
I am AMA. I fly with NARCA, mostly because their field is closest to my house, but I will definitely come check out RCRC some time soon.