Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by Luis Moya
Mexico
Joined May 2004
254 Posts
My theory is that continuing circling and going around to get into lift may be more efficient (less drag) as there is no "fighting back" disturbing the momentum the glider assumed on its own.

Luis
Luis Moya is offline Find More Posts by Luis Moya
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Aug 2004
6,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Moya View Post
My theory is that continuing circling and going around to get into lift may be more efficient (less drag) as there is no "fighting back" disturbing the momentum the glider assumed on its own.

Luis
Consider that there is generally sink around the outside of the lift, so I tend to want to avoid the sink and get into the lift as fast as I can. Turing away to "come back around" to the lift means you are flying in the sink and any minor reduction of drag (debatable in the first place) is far outweighed by flying in the sink.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by Luis Moya
Mexico
Joined May 2004
254 Posts
Quote:
there is generally sink around the outside of the lift
An interesting point to consider.

Luis
Luis Moya is offline Find More Posts by Luis Moya
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by P Farley
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Aug 2006
213 Posts
I need to remind myself to be smoother on the sticks. I fly a few small aerobatics, and a few hotliners, both of which I put the wings perpendicular to the ground and give heavy back elevator to turn, which the Pulsar will do, but its not very efficient!
P Farley is offline Find More Posts by P Farley
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by robusp
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Farley View Post
Wanting to get back into a discussion on flying, after a good climb out, and when the plane settles into a glide after motor off, looking for lift, I've noticed mine usually signals with a strong push away, almost turning on its own. Do you turn in the same direction as the turn out and circle around back into the lift, or do you right away fight the push from the rising air and turn right back into it?
I try to force it to stay on track with ailerons and rudder. If it is strong lift even half the wing will give me lift. After I find out how big the anomaly is, I turn right back to it.
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by robusp
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Farley View Post
I need to remind myself to be smoother on the sticks. I fly a few small aerobatics, and a few hotliners, both of which I put the wings perpendicular to the ground and give heavy back elevator to turn, which the Pulsar will do, but its not very efficient!
I do it too, but when just playing around. especially with 3.2. When plane is very slow I could do nice slip & slide.
3.6 is not as responsive, it has to be moving lot faster to lay on its side.
Even with flaps tied to ailerons.
But it will stay horizontal lot easier. Full rudder plus little aileron to compensate will make completely flat turn.
Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
Old Feb 11, 2016, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by Tharr62
Joined Oct 2005
1,117 Posts
Ray.. I wanted to ask you something about the Typhoon. You PM box is full again :-(
Tharr62 is online now Find More Posts by Tharr62
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by 320pilot
Joined Mar 2009
2,875 Posts
made some room now..
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Feb 16, 2016, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by bafbob
United States, VT, Brattleboro
Joined Aug 2012
132 Posts
I have been flying this set-up for 3 seasons with no problems.

[QUOTE
Thanks so much John for all the thoughts. I agree completely, and the farthest thing from my head right now is any expectations on how fast it goes etc.. LOL. In fact, I am worried that it will go too fast! (based on what scirocco was saying above).

All I care about is that the 1115 motor, and the , and the 66A ESC will all work well together and there are no issues, beyond anything subjective relating to performance etc. I don't want anything to overheat, melt, over amp, or fail because one thing was too much for the other. This is the main concern. w/16/8.56 Prop - too fast may be the problem.

I just assumed there would have never been any question to something that was the recommended on E-Sprits's web site.. and the way scirocco has stated some facts, makes me second guess the entire power setup, and leads me to worry that it is subject to failure before I even take off. I am an honest guy, and can admit that I truly don't understand some of the technical parts on the power system (watts, amps. draw, etc..) I understand mAh, capacity, volts, and how to maintain a pack well. I know that ESC's heat up when they have to suppress power.. but, thats about it. :-)

I have always tried to follow others proven power systems in all my RC toys.. so, I thought following E-Sprits listing was going to be a sure thing.[/QUOTE]
bafbob is offline Find More Posts by bafbob
Old Feb 16, 2016, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by bafbob
United States, VT, Brattleboro
Joined Aug 2012
132 Posts
Center section repair

After splicing the spar back together, I have replaced all the ribs in the center section and the leading edge D-tube on the left side. The T.E. was a problem as I didn't know how the OEM went together. My favorite hinge technique is the old laced Monokote hinge so I went with a Laced UltraCote version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafbob View Post

bobr
Just to remind all that this was not a motor launch problem
bafbob is offline Find More Posts by bafbob
Last edited by bafbob; Feb 16, 2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Winch launch damage!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 05:43 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,117 Posts
Quote:
I have been flying this set-up for 3 seasons with no problems.
Hi Bobr!

I was confused on your post above.. it looked like the quote got messed up. Are you saying you have the same exact setup as I do with the 1115 1D motor? (there are two different 1115's) and your also using the JetiSpin Pro 66A ESC? with no issues?

What did too fast maybe a problem mean? Did it mean, literally it will be an issue.. or, did yo mean it will be a ton of fun LOL?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,117 Posts
So... how could you possibly mess up a premium wing bag / sleeve??

Simple.

PUT COTTEN INSIDE FOR A LINER.

Straight from http://www.pull-over-products.com/de/index.php , all the way from Germany.. at a very costly rate and I carefully feed in the first wing, only to find it "snagged" on something. Pull it back out.. and found bunches of cotton in the middle. SOB! (I yell, "are you f'ing kidding me??")

Email sent to the manufacture to see if they can in fact make them again WITHOUT the silly cotton liner that does no good.

* to be clear. (as there as been some confusion with some of the vendors I have worked with on various projects..) I am not writing this here to "bash" a vendor. I am writing this, so that people don't make the same purchase, and have the expectation let down. This is the day, and age we live in. If your going to sell something to someone.. then, be prepared for others to talk about it. Do I love the bags? Yes. They are beautiful, well made, and look the part. Do they work as a functional, safe, wing bag (how ironic is that).. NO! Is this a subjective opinion? No. This is a matter of fact based on my findings. So, save the $200USD unless we can get this fixed ;-)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by eteet
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
861 Posts
Hi Tharr,

I made a wing bag out of that silver bubble wrap stuff and I had the same problem of the wing "catching" when I slid it inside. My solution was to wrap the end of the wing in a pillow case. Problem solved!

Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
Old Feb 16, 2016, 08:57 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,117 Posts
Hi Eric. Good that you got it sorted out.

I also bought some foil bubble wrap at the hardware store, and made a bag for just the center section, (for when I don't want to remove it). It is 2 parts, and joins in the middle with Velcro. It came out pretty nice! No snag issues, as the foil bubble wrap is incredibly smooth.

So.. I worked on the new bags more tonight.. pulling out all the loose cotton.. and folding them vs. the seam to loosen them up a bit more, and make them a little more soft / worn in. They are pretty nice, and I have the wings in there (for now). They are not so stiff that I think it's going to put any excess pressure on the bend in the wingtips, or center section. They are pretty light weight, and now that I have worked them in a bit.. I can see they will likely work out. I will edit this and post some pics soon..
Old Feb 17, 2016, 07:45 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,117 Posts
Well, the wing bag company make right.. instant reply, and a full refund back to PalPay! I could not be more impressed. Now that the sting has been soothed, I will tinker around with pulling out the cotton. The trick becomes how to get it from way down deep (arm does not reach), this way the wing won't snag on anything.

Anyway.. not important..

Here is something that I happen to notice in the early am daylight coming through my window.. I saw that one of the wings has about a 1mm (ish) gap where the very end bends up. It's almost as if in manufacturing that it was just ever so slightly misaligned.

Now, before anyone thinks I am complaining.. stop, and know that I am not :-) I am very happy with the quality of the plane, and think it's the best in the world. LOL. Just an honest, to goodness observation that I wanted to seek from other owners on. Chances are this will make absolutely zero difference in flight, and its 100% not worth giving a second thought about. I just wanted to seek the thoughts from others, to ensure my own comfort.