HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2008, 12:18 PM
Mansell Models
United States, UT, Layton
Joined May 2004
1,336 Posts
Here is another update with the short kit. The Plug has been sent off to Sparky. I made a few changes to the Cad file. The second version of the Cad file has been sent off to Jim, JTECH Laser. As of now, the 2nd Tomahawk will be put together in a couple of weeks. I am anxious to see the new parts and cowling. I am sure this thread will be quiet for a week or so. I will update when the next Tomahawk goes together. If all goes well, a short might be available before July.

As for Steve, he is a great friend and meticulous builder. He and I will be putting the 2nd Tomahawk together. He definitely need's a T-shirt. Another Motto we could put on his T-shirt Jim is "Will work for RC Gear". That is the same motto as the sign at the AZ electric Festival.

Tom
N827TM is offline Find More Posts by N827TM
Last edited by N827TM; May 07, 2008 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2008, 05:16 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
WILL FLY TO MAKE YOU LAUGH OUT LOUD
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old May 08, 2008, 01:09 AM
Old Tyme Electric
Joined Mar 2005
666 Posts
Boy THIS thread brings back memories!!! I solo'd and taught in a TraumaHawk, and can also verify the name. The video looks like flys just like the real thing, including the takeoffs and landings.

If you really want to be scared, have a look here: http://www.ozaeros.flyer.co.uk/tomahawk/tomahawk.htm .
steve crewdog is offline Find More Posts by steve crewdog
Old May 08, 2008, 05:05 PM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,336 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for the link on the information. I know when I flew the real thing I would never let my students enter a full blown spin. It was bad enough seeing the tail buffet. As far as training in the plane it was by far more comfortable than a Cessna 150/152 was. The Tomahawk I flew had an STC conversion of 125hp and droop tips. The STC conversions did not help it with stability, but it definitely made a difference in the climb on a 90 degree day out of Salt Lake City. One thing about the Tomahawk that I did not care about, it would fish tail or yaw left and right as it flew in cruise. I have about 200 hours flying the real Tomahawk. Overall it was a fun airplane, just not a real performer. Maybe it was the roomy cockpit and great view I liked. I also liked the appearance of the Tomahawk. For an airplane that is good looking as the Tomahawk, It is deceiving how it flies.

As far as this model; I think there are a lot of qualities shares with the real thing. The Main Landing Gear being almost on the CG allows this airplane to rotate with next almost no back pressure. The Elevator is ineffective until the aircraft is actually moving through the air. The model will fish tail through the air. Overall the model is more stable than the real thing. Because the main landing gear are sitting almost on the CG, there have been a few times where I have it a bump or two on takeoff, and the airplane is airborne sooner than I have liked. It had no tendency to tip stall getting airborne prematurely. When it comes to a stalling, this bird will stall but at a relatively slow speed and you are expecting it. The characteristics of the stall are very similar to the real one. The spins with the model though are very stable. Neutralize the controls and it will pop right out of the spin. When it comes to landing this model, I land it with a little power on. The glide with the model is fair. It is a fun touches and go airplane. I have not done too many aerobatics with it. The model does not have a whole lot extra power when it comes to aerobatics. It will fly inverted but needs a little more power. It has a slow descent. The aileron rolls are a little slow. As for scale power, is model definitely has it and then some. Overall I enjoy flying this model. For the second model, Steve and I are putting a different motor on it for more power, like to do some aerobatics with it.

Tom
Old May 31, 2008, 09:20 PM
Lots of luck, mostly bad.
Latham, NY
Joined Apr 2008
202 Posts
Chalk up another guy interested in picking up a kit, whenever/if they become available. I flew a Traumahawk for my trainer, and I mean that in the most affectionate way . I've got a lead on a possible Guillow's kit, but I'm not sure it's going to pan out... if it doesn't, I'll be wanting to pick up this kit instead.
theluckyone17 is offline Find More Posts by theluckyone17
Old May 31, 2008, 10:15 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,243 Posts
Is there ANYONE on this thread who hasn't flown a full scale Traumahawk? Is it affection or amazement that we all got out alive?
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old May 31, 2008, 11:14 PM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Nothin' spins like a Traumacoffin! I think that all of us who fly have memories of time in a Tomahawk....

...even if those memories cause one to wake up in a cold sweat!

Seriously though, this looks to be a fantastic flyer and my wife who has many hours in the Tomahawk will know doubt want this one!

Cheers!

FF
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Old Jun 01, 2008, 07:08 AM
Lots of luck, mostly bad.
Latham, NY
Joined Apr 2008
202 Posts
My flight instructor said that each trainer had its unique personality, pros and cons. No one aircraft was better or worse.

At least, that's what she said in front of everybody else. When we were alone, she'd say that the Tomahawk trained pilots... the Cessnas trained drivers.
theluckyone17 is offline Find More Posts by theluckyone17
Old Jun 02, 2008, 04:13 PM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,336 Posts
Well, I guess it is time to get you all caught up. Here are the latest pictures of the development of the kit. The Cowl is now molded. Version 2 of the Cad file has been cut. And Steve and I are building Number 2. I am also finishing up the Drawings for the short kit. I am hoping to have the kit out by next month.

Tom
Old Jun 04, 2008, 12:32 AM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,336 Posts
Here are some pictures of Tomahawk #2. Version 2 is going together very well. A couple of some minor changes in the Cad file and finishing the Plans. The this bird shoulfd be ready for release. It is a lot of work to put together. Definitley a builders plane.

Tom
Old Jun 07, 2008, 08:41 PM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,366 Posts
I had one.

I owned a Tomahawk and have nothing bad to say about it. As far as spins go, it was placarded against spins. I think some were better than others for some reason, but mine was alway just an honest airplane.
nageotte is online now Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:33 PM
Gary in Fla
West Palm Beach, Fla
Joined Mar 2006
133 Posts
How do I get a kit?

Nice kit and interesting stories there. Was a short kit ever produced? If so, what's the link.

Thanks
Gary
Gary in Fla is offline Find More Posts by Gary in Fla
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:24 PM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,336 Posts
Gary, I need to revise the plans for this bird. Number 2 is close to finish from another builder but it has taken him well over a year. I wanted to release the short kit after number 2, but it has taken so long to get there. If someone wants to help me out and pay for shipping and short kit at my cost to get this bird released. I will jump back on it. Right now there are a handful of minor defects that need to be ironed out and I don't have the time to do it. If anyone interested send me a pm.

Tom
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
9 Posts
I know this is old, but....

Did the kit ever get produced and is it still available? Yes, I too flew the Tomahawke as a trainer. Never spun it, but it still gave me a couple of nasty surprises!
trogladyte is offline Find More Posts by trogladyte
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:50 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
this thread sure caught my eye. great looking/flying model! i too did my private and a lot of cross countrys for my instrument in a tomahawk. probably have around 80 hours in them. my instructor and i did spin one a few times and i remember that i didn't enjoy it! it spun/turned very quickly but did seem recover ok when opposite rudder was applied. anyways, fun thread (just read through it).

rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737