HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2002, 09:02 PM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
M100 alternatives rehash

Could someone fill me in on possible alternatives for an m100? Something in a similar power/weight ratio.

I remember reading there are some similar motors available from a place called Goldmine Electronics. For some reason, I'm unable to do a search here tonight.

-How do the Goldmine motors compare?

-Can you fit them directly into the m-100 gearbox?

-How do you go about successfully getting the pinion gear off the old and on the new motor?

- Other alternatives?

I ordered a couple m100 replacement motors over a week ago last thursday (web order) from Jet-Set and they just today informed me that it would be another 3-4 weeks to get the motors in (without the gears and prop). I'll remember to phone in the order next time. For such a popular item, they sure don't make very many. I guess I'll have to either keep swapping my one motor between models or pony up the extra $17.50 per unit. Seemed like a good plan at the time....

TigerShark? Sent two e-mails and never heard a thing back from BMW, I don't even know if his motor is what I am looking for.

The IPSD isn't available yet from any source I can find.
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2002, 09:18 PM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Check out the GWS C100 from AeroMicro
http://www.aeromicro.com/
I use both, I favor the M100 but the C100 is real close and half the cost.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Apr 01, 2002, 10:41 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi Kat Well sorry but I decided the TS is too goofy to sell as an assembled unit and I was unable to keep up with all the questions, requests for 1/2 price and all the other stuff as well. I was losing money with every sale anyway so I stopped. Stupid idea anyway.....However, I am pleased to tell you that the TS motor will adapt into the M-100 gb by using either a pair of 2mm screws or better yet.....an o-ring. I'll sell the motors only for $5. You'll need to send me the old motor so I can swap pinions over if you're interested. There was ALWAYS a problem with spare M-100 motors, with jetset retaining exclusive availability, or lack thereof. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Apr 02, 2002, 08:30 AM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Chuck,

What gear/prop/battery setup are you using? What models are you flying them on?

Thought about 280 motors, but they seem kind of heavy compared to the Johnson. I even have a spare one of those laying in my shop.

Thanks all for the info.

Good, Fast, Cheap (pick any two)....
Old Apr 02, 2002, 08:17 PM
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Ah, Bleriot lives...

This may seem like a silly question at this point, but what exactly is you motor like. I've been trying to get at some general info with my e-mails to you. Where does it fall power and weight wise with what's commonly available? What props and batteries are recommended? Thanks.

Karl
Old Apr 03, 2002, 06:17 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
theKAT
I have the "1" "2" and "A". Mostly use the recommended prop, depending on what plane I'm using them on. I fly everything with the 8/300 NiMH bateries from Radical RC and try to keep the amps around 3 to 3 1/2.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Apr 03, 2002, 08:34 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,719 Posts
I think what you're looking for is the Johnson 4046 from Electronic Goldmine. I think they are the same size as the motor in the M100, but tend to like one cell fewer. Another alternative setup is the MG-1 or EMPS-1 based on this motor, a little cruder than the M100, but pretty close in power. You can also check on the tests of the Orion Elite, or if you can stand a bit more weight, a Speed 300 has more guts.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Apr 03, 2002, 09:47 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi Kat 180 long can motor size. will fit m100 gb with o-ring adaptor 7-8 cells nimh 7 nicad 300 mah. about 4A 2 ratios.4:1 6:1, ballraced and gws shaft, bearing tube is attached to motor via groovy ..er grooved US Southern Basswood carrier with adhesives. Bearing tubes locally available and cheap. Same with motor. I have also some of the 4046 megocoupe mentioned, I can beat the price but they are amp hungry. of which I can send you a couple free if you order a TS. Hey....honey..I shrunk the MiniPleaser Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot