SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:19 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,257 Posts
Help!
Issues with props

Am I dumb or what? Don't answer that! But here's the question. Do APC props rotate in the opposite direction of GWS props, given the same orientation? lol Let me say this differently. The general rule of thumb is the print on the prop faces the direction of flight. Right? Well, I swapped out an APC prop for a GWS prop, went to spin it up, and the plane almost jumped out of my hand in Reverse! Checked the packaging and it's not marked counter rotating. So... Hence my question.

I use GWS props as I rarely go over 4530/4540 props. Well, GWS props flex when you go 5030 or better. I'm in need of a 6" prop, hence the APC. So help is needed. I have a 20" WS F/A-18 Super Hornet I'd like to fly with authority.
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2014, 04:37 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,785 Posts
Does the prop have a P on the end of the size printing or package? If so that means pusher, and it is reverse pitch. The lettering should still go toward the direction of flight with any apc, if its a pusher then you just need to reverse the motor
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:12 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,257 Posts
Thanks for the info! It does have the " P". I originally set'er up with a GWS prop. I guess I'll have to open the back end to switch the connectors.

Ksqm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 01:24 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
981 Posts
You don't need pusher props, when you are using an electric motor that you can reverse. Most props are made to run counter clockwise as pullers, when viewed from the front of the plane.

You want the outer curve of the face going forward in the airstream, as props are airfoils, and 2/3 of your lift comes from the front of the prop.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Sep 19, 2014, 09:02 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,257 Posts
Wuest3141,

Thanks for the info. I swapped two of the motor/ esc connections. The prop has the writing facing forward. Did a test flight yesterday. I'll take a vid next flight. Then I'll post the vid with APC prop and one with GWS. Hands down the F-18 comes alive with the APC. With the GWS, couldn't get past 1/2 half throttle before warpage set in. You will hear it in the vid.

Ksqm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:50 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,489 Posts
yeah I had a pusher prop on backwards. I was really disappointed on how the jet flew. when I finally realized I had the prop facing the wrong way (thanks RCGroups).....put the prop on the correct direction......OH YEAH !!!!
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC