HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2014, 06:31 PM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
354 Posts
Another note, when you spray, you won't even see a color change on your mold until 6 or 8 layers have gone on. Then it starts to turn green. It will still be transparent, but you will start to see a green tint. Give a few minutes between coats, I don't actually remember what the directions call for.

If I had some, I could shoot a quick video. I'll see if a friend has some in his shop if he is back in town this week. I used to build full scale composite experimental airplanes, and I have made many, many parts with the stuff, and I will tell you wax alone doesn't work well unless it is a simple lay up and heavier cloth and mold.

Mike
mligosh is offline Find More Posts by mligosh
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2014, 09:06 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Pam PVA is great stuff.....I use Aquanet hair spray from $ store it'a almost as good I just spray my molds 6-7 times after using Carnuba - car wax w/ about 6-7 layers letting each dry.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Aug 31, 2014, 09:11 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2014
163 Posts
Seriously????? Aqua glue hairspray?
PamW is online now Find More Posts by PamW
Old Sep 01, 2014, 08:15 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Seriously????? Aqua glue hairspray?
YEP cheep release agent dollar store item IT'S AN OLD SCHOOL WAY....PVA does work better though; it's made for being a release agent.

Bruce
Old Sep 01, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2014
163 Posts
plug is almost repaired....sealing primer is drying. need to get another can of sanding primer.

All the center wing section pieces are cut and fit......new ply formers are done and fit. Have wing tubes picked out will order those soon.

cockpit kits should be back in stock soon.

next is cutting the header tubes to rough length and anneal them..then fill with cerrabend. will finish tube roller this week.

Pamela
Old Sep 07, 2014, 07:09 AM
Joined Apr 2014
163 Posts
Have rethink the header pipe....first bending attempt failed....need to tight of bend radius for thin wall brass. Have another idea that should work well and make the sound more even.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:00 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,274 Posts
Any progress here..... Pam?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:21 AM
United States, VA, Suffolk
Joined Nov 2007
1,046 Posts
You can buff the primer just like paint. 3-4 coats of wax, then 3 coats PVA and you should be good. I use an airbrush for small parts and turn the pressure way up so that droplets are very small.
I use compressed air to pop the plug free. pull back one side and put the nozzle so that the air goes between the plug and the mold. Do that all around and it should pop out.
jhaywood is offline Find More Posts by jhaywood
Old Sep 16, 2014, 07:32 PM
Joined Apr 2014
163 Posts
Yeah....been puttering around...ordering bits and pieces here and there. Has been so hot lately. Laying out the exhaust header. As usual it got complicated. But I think it will make it sound like a multi cylinder engine. Some tricks I learned from a gentleman named pierre scerri. He fabricated a 1/3 scale Ferrari 312pb......100% fully functional. And yes it sounds like a ferrari. You can youtube it there are numerous videos on his little marvel.

Have started printing out the ta-154 prints........came out to be 1:4.6 scale........rather large needless to say.

Finally received a couple tiny check valves for my locomotive so the main steam feed piping is just about done. Can only work in the garage for about 30 minutes at a time......The sun beats on the door from 10 am on....so it is totally miserable out there. Usually go out there like 3 am Saturday morning and work till it gets hot.

Pamela
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:15 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,478 Posts
I hear ya Pam! I usually like to go out and work right after I get home from work but from about 2:00p on, the sun shines right in my garage so when I roll in at 5p there's no chance of getting anything done. But even with the humidity its miserable (for this old Arizona desert guy anyway) even when the sun is not direct. I went out this weekend at about 11p and worked until about 4a but it still wasn't fun so I've pretty much given up til this spell passes.

Mike

BTW.... You get any of this T-storm that just rolled through? Must have hit something major down here as the power flickered several times and I've been hearing sirens for the last 30 mins.
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Last edited by CryHavoc; Sep 16, 2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:34 AM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
510 Posts
Pam, how hot does it get there? I used to go to California a lot about 12 years ago. Never thought it was unbearably hot. And that's when I lived in New York.

Here in Texas the hottest I've seen around Dallas is 109. Maybe you're inland.
I'm not sure where Carlsbad is in CA.
Martin5465 is offline Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:29 AM
Joined Apr 2014
163 Posts
Temp wise not bad....it's unusually high humidity that's the killer. Just not used to that crap.