HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2013, 02:25 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Nov 2013
67 Posts
Help!
LED powered by balance port question

I am installing LED's on my quad and want to power them by my balance port on the lipo. I run 2-3s 2200 lipo's in parallel and was wondering if I have to parallel the balance ports then plug the lights into that or just plug into one of the balance leads?
mashbau2 is offline Find More Posts by mashbau2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:27 AM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashbau2 View Post
I am installing LED's on my quad and want to power them by my balance port on the lipo. I run 2-3s 2200 lipo's in parallel and was wondering if I have to parallel the balance ports then plug the lights into that or just plug into one of the balance leads?
It rather depends on how much power you intend to use. For just a few low current LEDs the power used would be minimal compared to the motors so I would just use the balance connector from one LiPo. However if you have festooned the quad with lighting or want to use high powered LEDs you should consider splitting the LEDs into two groups of approximately the same power and using both balance connectors separately.
electrotor is offline Find More Posts by electrotor
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:41 AM
Looking for a place to crash
United States, WI, DeForest
Joined Jul 2001
431 Posts
I would be careful about using the balance points on you Li Po's.

The LED's usually operate at 2.4 to 3.6Vdc and the balance points are great since the Li Po's are 3.6 - 4.2V per cell.

However If your flying long flights you may cause 1, of the Li Po cells to drop below the 3.4Vdc and cause damage to that cell.

There is no cutoff to save the Li Po when going directly to the battery. Your better of IMO to use RX power (5Vdc) with dropping resistors in series with each LED.

This way when the Li Po voltage drips below the BEC limit you wont damage the Li Po.

Larry
spudgun.com
larryb is offline Find More Posts by larryb