HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
Certified Crash Artist
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Feb 2011
150 Posts
Well I got home powered it up and the lcd flickered and shut off. It would still take pictures or videos but the LCD was just dead.

I took it back to a different Best Buy they only had one and it was sold. I lucked out and got a store 20 miles away that still had one to hold one for me. I went down there and they exchanged it.

I did notice after updating the firmware and left it plugged in via usb that it was really hot. I didn't get a chance to use it yesterday but I should today.
Lucasberg is offline Find More Posts by Lucasberg
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:55 AM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
803 Posts
Whats the overall thought of the GP3 Then...?

I found the GP2 Okish, My Pc hated it, the LCD add on i brought (well 3 attempts) never worked properly either and someone stole it...

GoPro support IMO was nothing pro atall, so it has left me a bitter taste in my mouth to rush out and buy an GP3

I get the feeling this is like the Iphone 4 & 4s...Some difference, but same old problems?
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensman82 View Post
It doesn't say anything about too cold. Are you sure your hero 3 is not overheating? (maybe because of some firmware bug that keeps cpu at 100%)
Positive. I actually re-tested it by cooling the camera in the fridge.
When its cold, it powers up, then within 10 seconds it shows the temp warning
and shuts itself down. It has no opportunity to overheat.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
?How does the live view on your smartphone via wifi work ? Doubt it will be good for fpv but what about setting up the shot? Any interference with radio 2.4?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:09 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,530 Posts
I don't have a compatible phone.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,243 Posts
has some1 use this wifi iphone (any video or links)..
i seen the contour wifi, it was jittery, worth only for framing the shots and adjusting the menu.. .
wonder if the same or better with this new gp3..

ooopps..... some1 has thought of the same..

barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:23 AM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
?How does the live view on your smartphone via wifi work ? Doubt it will be good for fpv but what about setting up the shot? Any interference with radio 2.4?
GoPro3 doesn't have support for the App yet. On their site it says coming "Winter 2012".

Ok so being a camera guy and all I'll give you all my recommendation.
At home, I have a Canon 60D, Canon 350D, a huge array of thousand dollar lens, 4 different camcorders, 2 of them being completely infra-red, a Gopro 1, a GoPro2. So I know cameras well and I'm what some people call a "pixel junkie".

This is not a "4s" vs iphone 4.. the GP3 is leaps and bounds better than it's predecessors. The image quality is drastically better when you see the raw footage at full resolution on your computer. There is virtually NO noise anymore, particularly during periods like sunset.. or heavy clouds. (I had this issue a lot, and if you think you didn't have a noise problem, check your videos again). The white balance is drastically better and the light balance is a huge upgrade.
The 2.7k which is now my favorite shooting mode... is absolutely freaking stunning.

If you hear about any stock at your local stores, run.. don't walk to get one. And if you get a protection plan from best buy, you don't need to worry about putting a $400 camera on your plane. If you destroy it simply use your plan and get a new one.
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:31 AM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
803 Posts
MK3...

Thanks for the quick over view!

As some punk stole my GOPro from my backpack, i will butter up the Wife (Birthday Soon)
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,530 Posts
So far, I really like what I see in image quality and low-noise sensor, but
the cold thing is really annoying (hope it's firmware fixable) and I've
had a bunch of lockups in almost every possible mode, each time
requiring the battery be removed to reset. This morning I noticed
the red charging light was still on after charging all night (should have
turned off after a couple hours), and again camera was unresponsive
and battery had to be removed to reset.

GoPro's support form doesn't even list the Hero3 yet, although I've already
sent em something about the cold issue.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Russia
Joined Nov 2007
157 Posts
Anyone else have the same "cold bug" as Daemon? I'm about to pick one up from BestBuy, but it will be hard task to exchange it from Russia.
dehicka is offline Find More Posts by dehicka
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,530 Posts
For anyone willing to test for the cold issue, just put your Hero3 in the freezer for 10 min (no longer).
I did it without the battery (battery stayed warm).
Then re-insert battery, power it up with the card in and wait a few seconds. Mine shows
the temp warning within 10 seconds, and shuts itself off.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
There might be an issue with your GP3. I put mine in the fridge for an hour, then turned it on, took video, it worked perfectly fine. The temp was 39F.

Did you upgrade the firmware? Something is very strange with your Gopro, usually the colder the camera, the better.
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
738 Posts
Tim, at ReadyMadeRC, did some testing this morning on a GoPro3 Silver Edition while I observed. The first attempt was to get video out through the USB by hacking the stock cable. Ground tested just fine, but it currently won't send video signal. More testing is needed and will be done for the USB video out.

He did find that the micro control board, designed for the GP2, will work with the GP3:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1091

The biggest problem is latency. We did a side by side test of the GP2 and 3 each equipped with the same control board. The GP3 had roughly double the latency and was very noticeable in direct comparison. The GP3 also had some "stuttering" as we moved the camera around the room as if the frame rate was dropping. Another downside is that the image on screen was darker than the tests with the GP2. These tests were set at 1080 and 30fps.

It is possible that the USB video out may work better once we have it figured out, but the initial results are disappointing. More testing with video out is needed on the GP3. Hopefully some of you can chime on here as well.
McCleary.11 is offline Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 View Post
There might be an issue with your GP3. I put mine in the fridge for an hour, then turned it on, took video, it worked perfectly fine. The temp was 39F.
While 39F is certainly lower than the 45 degrees it quit on me while testing outside,
when I did the freezer test for 10 min it took it down to about 25F.

Quote:
Did you upgrade the firmware? Something is very strange with your Gopro, usually the colder the camera, the better.
I haven't. Looks like there is something on gopro site, so will try that.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,530 Posts
Had been unaware that there was a firmware update, but sure enough.
Don't know what the version was before, or is now, but I've gained some
video modes outside of ProTune mode that weren't there before.
Camera is in the freezer for a few minutes right now, so we'll see what happens.

ian
RCG Plus Member