HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:34 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Mar 2008
268 Posts
Build Log
F-100D by Col. Art Johnson

Was looking through some of the old plans my dad has collected over the years, and lo and behold, we came across this! He graciously donated them to me, since he said he wont ever fly a jet!

This plane waspublished in the early 90s in RC Modeler magazine...eas designed for a byron fan on a rossi 81.. Im going to use an eturbax from jhh I think..unless someone had a better suggestion?

Other changes will be to add a hatch in the nose area, and to add intake ducting!

Might be a bit before I get to update this, as I will be gathering material...

Btw this will be my first scratch build in 30 years of rc! Only have done kits and arfs before, so I may have some what may be dumb questions as I progress...

Btw yes, I have several years of edf exp. But this wilk be my first "large" edf, as all others have been 90mm and smaller..(but all composite, not foamy lol)

Any suggestions before I get started woukd be wekcome!

Thanks,
Matt

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
Oryon is online now Find More Posts by Oryon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:05 AM
United States, OH, Fairborn
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
im new too.. what ive found out so far..
40 bucks for a stack of blue fan fold foam from lowes(its like getting 50 sheets of foamboard)
10 bucks for glue sticks a sharp blade and full size drawings and your building
nice and cheap : )
severl hundred dollars in other things youll probly need along the way and endless weeks of waiting......
priceless : )
wind1234 is offline Find More Posts by wind1234
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:23 AM
Danmark, Hovedstaden, Ølstykke
Joined Jul 2010
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryon View Post
Was looking through some of the old plans my dad has collected over the years, and lo and behold, we came across this! He graciously donated them to me, since he said he wont ever fly a jet!

This plane waspublished in the early 90s in RC Modeler magazine...eas designed for a byron fan on a rossi 81.. Im going to use an eturbax from jhh I think..unless someone had a better suggestion?

Other changes will be to add a hatch in the nose area, and to add intake ducting!

Might be a bit before I get to update this, as I will be gathering material...

Btw this will be my first scratch build in 30 years of rc! Only have done kits and arfs before, so I may have some what may be dumb questions as I progress...

Btw yes, I have several years of edf exp. But this wilk be my first "large" edf, as all others have been 90mm and smaller..(but all composite, not foamy lol)

Any suggestions before I get started woukd be wekcome!

Thanks,
Matt

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
look link

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/galle...100d32pc_1.htm

some nice scale picture
anton-anton is offline Find More Posts by anton-anton
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:34 AM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Good luck..

http://www.historynet.com/deadly-sabre-dance.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre_dance_(aviation)
F-100 Super Sabre Jet Crash (0 min 6 sec)
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:26 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,871 Posts
Alright Matt!! another F-100 in the works.
I built a 70mm out of balsa a while back from some old Comet plans. Easy building plane, no real complicated curves.

Quote:
Good luck..
???
My Hun is the best handling jet in my hangar. Lots of wing area, comes real smooth and slow on landings.
Super Sabre 70mm edf scratch built (4 min 48 sec)

Julian
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:09 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,083 Posts
i'll be watchin this one. I have these same plans and been considering doing an electric conversion my self. Been holding off because ducting to me seems a little intimidating with all the area rules and such. Hope to pick up some things from this. Phil.
mrshea is online now Find More Posts by mrshea
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Mar 2008
268 Posts
Ducting shouldn't be THAT big of a deal, I'm hoping Air Sally ( a damn good fiberglass guy) will give me some advice when that time comes..

The "Saber Dance" was primarily the pre-D models, that had the smaller vertical stab, which caused it to roll in the stall without any control to stop it, but ANY deeply swept wing bird can go into a deep stall like that, the tips stall first, which then moves the center of lift forward, creating what is, in essence, a severely tail heavy condition.. the key? DONT STALL! lol..

I'm thinking I will likely finish this in Flite-Metal, anyone have experience with that material?

Also, found out, my LHS does not carry balsa or lite ply any longer! Is there a good site to order a pile of it from?

Matt
Last edited by Oryon; Feb 25, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:15 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,871 Posts
Get my balsa and ply from National Balsa. Really good stuff.
I get a bunch of that bargain grade aero lite balsa for not critical formers/parts, sheeting and thick wood I'll need. Really cuts down on the final weight.

I've built two F-100's from the same plans. The first was a full pound heavier using locally sourced balsa & ply. Lite woods really makes a difference.

The ducting is a piece of cake. The F-100 has a huge fuselage to work in.

Julian
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:09 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
938 Posts
My F-100 is a pusher but one of my favorites. Always wanted to do an edf version. I will be watching with great interest. I've done plenty of scratch builds. My advice is trust your modeling skills and don't be afraid to ask questions here. There is always lots of good info and plenty of people willing to help.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:57 AM
Joined Mar 2008
268 Posts
Well, ordered my balsa/ply from balsausa.com.
will be placing my order for a E-Turbax from Jet Hangar this week as well, I used carbon paper and construction paper, to transfer plan templates to the paper, then to formica for templates to use for the wood when it arrives.. also created my root and tip templates for the foam wings..

I've never cut foam wings before, and was considering having them cut for me, but, with the huge amount of possibilities for scratch building, I think id rather build my own cutter so I can do it myself int he future.. any advice on this?

Thanks!
Matt
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Matt, you can make your own cutting bow or purcahse one I made mine, you can buy them for around $50-60 I believe doesn't have to be anything fancy at all, for the wire you can use nichrome or I just use music wire from the hobby shop. I have a variac, have had it for years, some use battery charges, and other power supplies, again keep it simple and it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, cutting wings is pretty easy, just takes a little practice. Good luck.. W.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:12 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,419 Posts
Aircraft spruce sells a simple kit for I think 35 bucks ...I have one and it works great. i just use fine wire(not sure what it is as it was laying around the shop)..broom handle with small fiberglass rods for the bow...easy and cheep!
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
I have that same plan. I was thinking of making it smaller for 90mm edf. But got my hands on a KA F-100. Also, I will have access to a larger F-100 (Usher?) later hopefully.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:00 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,013 Posts
K&a f100

I also have the K&A F100 that I started to build a few months ago. I never get much time to work on it, but it is a solid and high-quality kit. I love the all-glass jets.

Going with a Stumax 90mm fan and NEU motor with 8S, eFlite 24-46 retracts...etc.

Here are pictures of the base paint before I did all of the weathering.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,862 Posts
let me know when your ready to do the ducting ...be glad to help.looking for a scale plane to put a dynamax in .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY