HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:29 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,875 Posts
7, that would be cool, drivers actual view...
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:21 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,879 Posts
This is pretty close to drivers actual view, but I have to run without the stock hatch (made a new flat one from plexiglass for the camera mount) to have the camera on it. Those tiny cameras would probably keep the CG lower to prevent flips too

Tear Into Jet Boat - River Run (1 min 55 sec)
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:33 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,875 Posts
Hey! Wp!! been missing you here..and your knowledge..

Yup, THATS a driver view..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:56 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the reminder and links about the cameras. They really would be ideal for these boats. (and cars, and planes...)

So Chi - here's the deal as best as I can remember when I was researching these about a year ago....
The seller that John listed - yes, they are more expensive than ebay. He's not hiding that fact. What you get by buying from him (according to him) is a guarantee that they actually work. He buys them, and tests them.

Also, some (not sure if all or what, can't recall right now without doing a bunch of searches) of the ebay ones (like the one you listed) will not actually tell you what lens it has. There seem to be 3 different lenses, one is normal, one is slightly wider angle, and one is more wide angle, almost fish eye. I personally like the "B" lens, because it's not too distorted, yet it will (in our case) show more of the stream or lake, and more importantly be a smoother less jerky vid image. I'm not a fan of the extreme wide angle, because everything is distorted and smaller looking. Definitely not good for plane use, when the objects on the ground will be VERY tiny.

So, maybe a propper ebay search would find one with that "B" lens, not sure. And then at that point, you'd just be dealing with the ebay seller if it doesn't work. But yes, it's a cost savings.

Me personally, I just need to bite the bullet and buy one. And it won't be for $40+, it'll be around $10. Even if that's a standard lens, I'll live with it.
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:59 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Those tiny cameras would probably keep the CG lower to prevent flips too
That's just it. I bet the camera doesn't weigh any more than a drivers head! (well, a bit more with a tiny plexi box.) Maybe a plastic baggy would work. For around $10, and perhaps somewhat careful driving, waterproofing might not even be a real big concern - no covering would give the best quality results.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:41 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,875 Posts
7, its all about checkin stuff out, not the money, the fun of sourcing..kinda like a treasure hunt..

WP's vid shows a good idea of drivers eye view, I have one of the 10 buck gum cams, like a pack of gum, bout 5 yrs old, been thru 4 plane crashes, been wet a WHOLE bunch..lol vid quality aint nothin to write mom about, but, its durable, in fact, its fulla rust..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:52 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,879 Posts
Mine also shows the effects of a heavier camera mounted up high as well
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:57 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
WP, I know those who've been here a little while have seen your underwater shots before, but they never fail to amuse. Thank goodness the gopro seems to shrug it off.

7, if you researched these keychain cameras before, you probably realise there are lot of inferior clones about. Good and bad all come from China in the same housing so beware! Not just that some don't work. There are differences in the electronics as well. You might want to spend a little more than the absolute minimum to get a good one. There is a very good thread on RCGroups about them plus Chuck Lohr's site and some very detailed reviews on Youtube. I expect you've checked them out, but if not I 'll post links. They also comment on the relative merits of the three lenses.

I think it was Fire who told us a while ago that the best (lightest and cheapest) way to waterproof them was a TicTac box with the lens end of the box (end that doesn't come off to slide the camera in) replaced with a piece of glass held on with shoegoo. Can't leave them bare or water will get in through the lens orifice, ditto mic, ditto card slot, ditto reset hole etc. No matter how carefully you drive. And in any case, who drives an NQD carefully!
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Feb 07, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:19 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
I totally agree with everyone of you who realize that these little cameras may look like each other, but it's really a "crapshoot" as to whether the seller is using some "CHINGLISH' word games to sell you the ones they found in a Shanghai dumpster when the newest crop of HD quality Keychain cams came to town.

Sure it sounds cool to get a HD camera for $10.00, but when it doesn't work or takes pictures worse than a pinhole shoebox cam, you will need to upgrade with some more $$$$ to get where you wanted to be.

I won't repeat where I found known quantities in these cams.

John

PS but WOW when they work it is amazing what a piece of electronics the size and weight of a BIC Lighter can do!

Here's a link to my cheaper 808 #8 cam not the much better 808 #16 (Crappy flight but nice photos)
Seaplane 002 (4 min 26 sec)
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:42 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
969 Posts
John - Whadda ya mean, crappy flight. 'Any landing you can walk away from' as they say.

And it shows a little of what these cameras can do. In fact there are many youtube videos, and not only modelling ones, which owe their existence to 'keychain' cameras.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum Card Member
Joined Sep 2007
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post

PS but WOW when they work it is amazing what a piece of electronics the size and weight of a BIC Lighter can do!
Man, I liked the hail out of that! Way cool, and you didn't crash anything. Very unusual in my world I had a thought of getting one of those wireless LCD goggles and with a Tx and minicam on top of a boat, you could drive around the lake while sitting on your sofa. And maybe a Gps to keep from getting lost! .
sundogz is offline Find More Posts by sundogz
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogz View Post
Man, I liked the hail out of that! Way cool, and you didn't crash anything. Very unusual in my world I had a thought of getting one of those wireless LCD goggles and with a Tx and minicam on top of a boat, you could drive around the lake while sitting on your sofa. And maybe a Gps to keep from getting lost! .
A lot of the GPS equipped Quadcopters have a return to home AND LAND! capability. I don't know if it could work in a jetboat if around a bend in a stream, but for sure on an open bowl type lake!

JOhn
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Last edited by jgestner; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:15 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,875 Posts
view outta my bedroom window...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:52 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
view outta my bedroom window...
You sir, need an RC ice boat!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:55 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,875 Posts
LOL..pretty much...but, if they tip over....

long, cold, and maybe a WET walk

K1 rc iceboat sailing (1 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:27 PM.